[Pnews] Bolivian President Evo Morales honors Leonard Peltier

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Oct 14 13:34:07 EDT 2015

    Bolivian President Evo Morales honors Leonard Peltier
    <http://sfbayview.com/2015/10/bolivian-president-evo-morales-honors-leonard-peltier-national-lawyers-guild-joins-call-for-clemency/>

October 13, 2015
*http://sfbayview.com/2015/10/bolivian-president-evo-morales-honors-leonard-peltier-national-lawyers-guild-joins-call-for-clemency/*

*/by Peter Clark, International Leonard Peltier Defense Committee/*

/Oct. 12, 2015/ – Today, at the World Peoples Conference on Climate
Change and Defense of Life, President Evo Morales – joined by Vice
President Linera, Chancellor Choquehuanca and Ambassador Caceres –
acknowledged Leonard Peltier as a defender of Indigenous Peoples and
Mother Earth, and urged President Obama to grant him clemency.

Leonard Peltier was wrongfully convicted in 1977 in connection with the
shooting deaths of two agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation on
the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, South Dakota. The federal prosecutor
has twice admitted that the government did not and cannot prove
Peltier’s guilt.

Evidence shows that prosecutors and federal agents manufactured evidence
against him, hid proof of his innocence, presented false testimony,
ignored court orders and lied to the jury. In 2003, the 10th Circuit
Court of Appeals found: “Much of the government’s behavior at the Pine
Ridge Reservation and in its prosecution of Mr. Peltier is to be
condemned. The government withheld evidence. It intimidated witnesses.
These facts are not disputed.”

Imprisoned for nearly 40 years – currently at the federal prison in
Coleman, Florida – Peltier has been designated a political prisoner by
Amnesty International. Nelson Mandela, Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu,
55 Members of Congress and others – including a judge who sat as a
member of the court in two of Peltier’s appeals – have all called for
his immediate release.

      In 2003, the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals found: “Much of the
      government’s behavior at the Pine Ridge Reservation and in its
      prosecution of Mr. Peltier is to be condemned. The government
      withheld evidence. It intimidated witnesses. These facts are not
      disputed.”

President Evo Morales hosted the landmark 2010 World Peoples Conference
on Climate Change and the Rights of Mother Earth. This year’s conference
focused on climate, the threat of capitalism and the concept of living
well. President Correa of Ecuador, President Maduro of Venezuela and
United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon were in attendance, as were
other interested parties from around the world.

Specifically invited by President Morales, Lenny Foster, spiritual
advisor to Leonard Peltier and board member of the International Indian
Treaty Council, said: “I gratefully accept this important
acknowledgement of the sacrifices made by Leonard Peltier in defense of
his people and of Mother Earth. We can think of no other award so
precious. Defense of our Mother is the first right we must assert as
Indigenous Peoples.”

Foster also read Leonard Peltier’s words: “We’ve seen that the pursuit
of maximized profits through globalization, privatization and corporate
personhood has become a plague that destroys life … The people most
closely associated with the Earth suffer first and most … To live free
of the fear of forced removal, destroyed homelands, poisoned water and
loss of habitat, food sources and our overall life way is our righteous
demand. We, therefore, continue our struggle to survive in the face of
those who deny climate change and refuse to curb corporate powers … It
is time for all our voices to be heard.”

Afterward, Mr. Foster presented President Morales with his portrait –
painted by Leonard Peltier.