[Pnews] Stand with Rasmea Odeh and fill the appeals courthouse in Cincinnati!

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Oct 13 10:19:07 EDT 2015

        *Everything you need to know about Rasmea’s appeal in Cincinnati*

/*http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=8b7315d854bc40ca9fa6dd227&id=b27495e575&e=b7378561ef*

Stand with Rasmea and fill the appeals courthouse in Cincinnati! Buses
and carloads attending from Chicago; Ft. Wayne & Indianapolis, IN;
Cleveland, Youngstown, Columbus & Cincinnati, OH; Florida; Milwaukee &
Madison, WI; Grand Rapids, Flint, Dearborn & Detroit, MI; Minneapolis;
and more!/

As her defense attorneys have said since the beginning of this ordeal,
“You [Rasmea’s supporters] provide public testimony when you rally
outside the courthouse and then file in to fill the courtroom.  Public
testimony of not only the power of Rasmea’s positive influence on her
friends and colleagues, and the people she organizes, but public
testimony also of the fact that she did not receive a fair trial and
that there are people who are going to hold the system—prosecutors and
judges—accountable.”

While in Cincinnati, we will organize a support *rally in front of the
courthouse at 8:00 a.m. EDT on Wednesday, October 14, 2015*, and then
fill the courtroom immediately thereafter, as Rasmea’s defense and the
prosecution each present their oral arguments to a three judge panel.

*When and Where
WHEN: Wednesday, October 14, 2015. Rally outside the courthouse at 8 AM
EDT.  Oral argument for the appeal starts at 9 AM EDT.*

*WHERE: U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
Potter Stewart U.S. Courthouse Rm 540
100 E. 5th Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202*

*Outside the courtroom*
*_More info for everyone, those riding the bus and those getting there
on their own:_*

  * Important new development: there is *NO OVERFLOW ROOM* in this
    courthouse, so the Rasmea Defense Committee is working with Rasmea
    and her attorneys to prioritize whom amongst us will be filling the
    courtroom. *All the other supporters will hold vigil and continue
    our picket outside.* Defense committee leaders Nesreen Hasan and
    Jess Sundin will be the point people for getting folks inside.
    *Please respect their and our decisions!*
  * Those who the defense committee and attorneys determine are entering
    the courtroom will start lining up between 8:20 and 8:30 AM, to
    ensure that we are in the courtroom well before 9 AM. *Late comers
    will not be allowed in the courtroom.*
  * *Please do not volunteer to speak to any media or press in
    attendance*.  The defense committee has a media team made up of the
    only folks authorized to speak to the press.
  * There will also be a rally / press conference outside the courthouse
    after the oral arguments. *Lead defense attorney Michael Deutsch
    will address the media* and Rasmea's supporters, and then *we will
    hear from a number of solidarity speakers, including Frank Chapman*,
    Field Organizer for the Chicago Alliance Against Racist and
    Political Repression.

*Inside the Courtroom
_This is basic information for our presence INSIDE the courtroom:_*

*What do you need to bring to get into the courtroom? *Must bring ID: it
can be a Drivers license, State I.D., or Passport.

*What to wear to court? *No "I Support Rasmea" clothes, buttons, or signs.

*How to act in court?*

  * No talking in the courtroom
  * No coming and going; if you leave the courtroom for anything other
    than an emergency,*you will not be let back in.*

*What not to bring to court?*

  * No cell phones.
  * No cameras or recording devices.
  * No food or drink.

The Rasmea Defense Committee contends that Judge Gershwin Drain did not
allow for a full and fair trial, and believes that is why Rasmea was
convicted and sentenced to 18 months in prison and deportation. *We are
confident that she has solid arguments on appeal*, and wrote in late
July that the “defense argues conclusively that the government ‘never
really addresses the basic constitutional deprivations asserted in Ms.
Odeh’s opening appellate brief,’ and that Rasmea is ‘entitled to present
her complete defense to the jury,’ which can only happen in a new trial.”

After the oral arguments are heard by three appellate judges on October
14, *a decision will be made between two and six months later*.  If the
court agrees with the defense and overturns the conviction and the
sentencing, the case gets sent back to the prosecution to possibly
refile charges, whereupon the entire trial process begins anew.  But
this time, evidence of torture, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD),
etc., would be allowed into the courtroom.

If the court upholds the conviction but disagrees with the sentence, the
appellate judges send new sentencing guidelines back to Drain for
re-sentencing.  In the worst possible scenario, her conviction and
sentencing would be upheld, meaning that she would have to serve 18
months in prison and then be deported.  If this happens, and only if the
decision is not unanimous, the defense could ask that all of the 6^th
Circuit appellate court judges, not just the three panelists, review the
case as a last ditch effort to win the appeal.

We have been doing non-stop fundraising
<http://stopfbi.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b7315d854bc40ca9fa6dd227&id=4d9e09e5c5&e=b7378561ef>,
organizing public events, and pitching Rasmea’s story to media across
the country and the world.