[Pnews] Support Leonard Peltier on Indigenous Resistance Day

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Oct 12 17:45:42 EDT 2015

Happy Indigenous Peoples' Day

Leonard counts on supporters like you! Make a Donation Online / Pledge
to Donate Monthly Mail donations to ILPDC, PO Box 24, Hillsboro, OR 97123 Up

LISTSERV MASTHEAD new

*Leonard counts on supporters like you!*

*Make a Donation Online / Pledge to Donate Monthly
<https://gem.godaddy.com/redirects/1444684936-aee279902c50a28d29307a28411fd906-43f7d97?pa=33755964269>*

*Mail donations to ILPDC, PO Box 24, Hillsboro, OR 97123*

    Update

Please respectfully write or call the Bureau of Prisons this week urging
them to transfer Leonard Peltier (#89637-132) to a Medium Security
facility due to his serious health conditions. It is the right thing to
do. It is the most humane thing to do because Leonard Peltier's freedom
should not come home in a pine box. Once again please be very respectful
when you call or write. You attract more flies with honey than you do
with vinegar.

Designation & Sentence Computation Center
Email: GRA-DSC/PolicyCorrespondence at bop.gov
Phone: 972-352-4400
Fax: 972-352-4395

Also continue contacting the following.

Charles E. Samuels, Jr., Director
Federal Bureau of Prisons
320 First Street., NW
Washington, DC 20534
Telephone: 202-307-3198
Email: info at bop.gov

/Avoid sending messages via the BOP Web form. Your message will only be
sent to the prison. We need instead to reach the decision makers./

Be respectful, but firm. The situation is life threatening. After many
years of high blood sugar, Leonard is at serious risk for kidney failure
and the need for dialysis, blood vessel damage in the eyes that can lead
to blindness, and nerve damage in the feet that could lead to the need
for amputation. Supporters should also remember that Leonard already
suffers from a heart condition. Heart disease is, in fact, the number
one cause of death in people with diabetes.

    In the News

MEDIA ADVISORY
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Peter Clark, Co-Director, International Leonard Peltier Defense
Committee, (505) 217-3612 or contact at whoisleonardpeltier.info

*President Evo Morales acknowledges Leonard Peltier as defender of his
people and Mother Earth, calls for his freedom*

Today, at the World Peoples Conference on Climate Change and Defense of
Life, President Evo Morales—joined by Vice President Linera, Chancellor
Choquehuanca, and Ambassador Caceres—acknowledged Leonard Peltier as a
defender of Indigenous Peoples and Mother Earth, and urged President
Obama to grant clemency to Leonard Peltier.

Leonard Peltier was wrongfully convicted in 1977 in connection with the
shooting deaths of two agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation on
the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, South Dakota. The federal prosecutor
has twice admitted that the government did not and can not prove
Peltier's guilt. Evidence shows that prosecutors and federal agents
manufactured evidence against him, hid proof of his innocence, presented
false testimony, ignored court orders and lied to the jury. In 2003, the
10th Circuit Court of Appeals found that "Much of the government’s
behavior at the Pine Ridge Reservation and in its prosecution of Mr.
Peltier is to be condemned. The government withheld evidence. It
intimidated witnesses. These facts are not disputed."

Imprisoned for nearly 40 years—currently at the federal prison in
Coleman, Florida—Peltier has been designated a political prisoner by
Amnesty International. Nelson Mandela, Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu,
55 Members of Congress and others—including a judge who sat as a member
of the court in two of Peltier’s appeals—have all called for his
immediate release.

President Evo Morales hosted the landmark 2010 World Peoples Conference
on Climate Change and the Rights of Mother Earth. This year's conference
focused on climate, the threat of capitalism and the concept of living
well. President Correa (Ecuador), President Maduro (Venezuela) and the
United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon were in attendance, as were
other interested parties from around the world.

Specifically invited by President Morales, Lenny Foster (spiritual
advisor to Leonard Peltier and Board member, International Indian Treaty
Council) said, "I gratefully accept this important acknowledgement of
the sacrifices made by Leonard Peltier in defense of his people and of
Mother Earth. We can think of no other award so precious. Defense of our
Mother is the first right we must assert as Indigenous Peoples."

Foster also read Leonard Peltier's words: "…We’ve seen that the pursuit
of maximized profits through globalization, privatization, and corporate
personhood has become a plague that destroys life… The people most
closely associated with the Earth suffer first and most… To live free of
the fear of forced removal, destroyed homelands, poisoned water, and
loss of habitat, food sources and our overall life way is our righteous
demand. We, therefore, continue our struggle to survive in the face of
those who deny climate change and refuse to curb corporate powers… It is
time for all our voices to be heard.”
After, Mr. Foster presented President Morales with his portrait—painted
by Leonard Peltier.

###

©2015 ILPDC | Indigenous Rights Center LLC, 202 Harvard SE, Albuquerque,
NM 87106