[Pnews] Support political prisoner Zolo Azania

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Nov 17 12:30:48 EST 2015

“It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the
strong.”

— Leo Roskin

Friday, November 6, 2015

To: All Concerned for Human Rights in all Human Sights!

This is an open letter requesting your help to garner support for my
plight.i am currently serving a fourteen (14) year sentence for class
B-robbery.i have less than 15 months left on the sentencing judgment.i
have completed previously a sixty (60) year sentence. My first
twenty-seven years and three months was spent on death row in Indiana.i
want to be moved into some type of viable program or positive position
for these last few months so that i can effectively earn credit time and
additional life skills in preparation for my eventual reentry into the
community.i have been held in continuous confinement since August 11,
1981, and i will need more quality time in the reentry program than
someone who has served only two (2) or three (3) years, for example.

In 1967, the Indiana General Assembly enacted a statute (law), which
allowed the development and implementation of a Work Release Program in
this state.The purpose of the Work Release Statute is to permit
qualified applicants committed to the DOC to participate in a program in
which the participant resides in or near his or her home community and
is allowed to secure gainful employment or to further educational goals
prior to actual release from prison.This type of habilitative or
rehabilitative program was expanded in recent years to include a
Pre-Work Release Re-entry program as well.The staff people are charged
with the duty of assisting people like me in making the transition or
re-entry to the community with some type of financial self-reliance.

i meet all qualifications for these programs.The crux of my genuine
complaint is this: Each prisoner’s success is dependent upon his or her
own initiative and ability to practice a high level of personal
responsibility.i have properly done just that, and i continue to do the
same.i have continued to do everything i am supposed to do under the sun
necessary to work my way out of prison, but these prisoncrats always
overlook my achievements.i am being held in a dormitory setting outside
the Indiana State Prison walls.This is not a true minimum security
facility.It is also illegally overcrowded; both the ceiling and floor
are not strong enough to carry the extra weight of steel bunks,
cabinets, and humans stacked on top of one another.Recently, in 2013, an
electrified, barbed wire chainlink fence, topped with coils of razor
wire was erected around the building here.I.S.O. not only has a fence
around it, but the back of the outer perimeter is marked by a
thirty-foot wall and guntowers!This brick building is a two story
dormitory with a prisoner population of more than 380.

A minimum security assignment constitutes an assignment of a convicted
person to a work release center or program, to intermittent service of a
sentence, or to a program requiring weekly reporting to a designated
official.Moreover, an assignment to minimum security need not involve a
penal facility.It is just unconscionable to think these DOC officials
can go and do anything they want to confine people in a condemned,
overcrowded building because they want more taxpayer money for each bed
filled with a warm human body.i would like for you to contact Indiana
DOC officials and voice your concerns.i want to be transferred from this
place to a real minimum security facility.

Please call to Indianapolis at (317) 233-5541 or 232-5755,
www.in.gov/idoc <http://www.in.gov/idoc>

Thank you for your attention and assistance in this matter.

Zolo Agona Azania

Indiana State Prison Minimum Security Unit

201 Woodlawn Avenue

Michigan City, Indiana46361