[Pnews] New Report Shows 1 in 4 Adult Women Have Family in Prison

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed May 27 11:00:06 EDT 2015

*New Study Shows Stunning Number of Women with Incarcerated Loved Ones
in the U.S.*
**

On May 20, 2015, the Du Bois Review published /Racial Inequalities in
Connectedness to Imprisoned Individuals in the United States/
<http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=%2FDBR%2FS1742058X15000065a.pdf&code=b885d74a65327db1b38b329bcd41b762>,[1]
<#14d920e87e15dd46__ftn1> a groundbreaking article exposing the
devastating effects of mass incarceration on the women who are so often
left behind to pick up the pieces.

The article reports that *1 in 4 women *in the United States currently
has an imprisoned family member.[2] <#14d920e87e15dd46__ftn2> Forty-four
percent of black women - just over *1 in 2.5* have an incarcerated
family member, compared to 12 percent of white women. Black women have
over 11 times as many imprisoned family members as white women, and are
more likely to be connected to multiple people in prison. *Over 6
million black women* in the United States have a family member currently
imprisoned.

While the racial inequalities are striking, the number of women overall
affected by the incarceration of family members and loved ones is
staggering. The study makes clear that women in the United States
currently have unprecedented levels of connectedness to people in
prison. With men making up 90 percent of the 2.2 millionpeople currently
incarcerated, women who have incarcerated loved ones are often left
raising children, managing family finances, and facing stigma in their
communities and workplaces. As a result, these women are at greater risk
for a whole host of harmful health and economic outcomes.

As Anita Wills, a member of Essie Justice Group, explains, “In 2003,
when my son Kerry was sentenced to 66 years in prison, I was devastated.
I had to keep it together for my son and grandsons. I am now 68 years
old and raising my 17-year-old grandson. This is not how I envisioned
living my retirement years.

Terryon Cross, whose father is in prison, says, I've grown up with
incarceration all around me. When my son Yancy was born, I was 16 years
old. I want more than anything for my four-year-old to grow up without
me having to drive to prison to see and hug our family. I don'€™t want
him to think this is normal, even though it is happening all around us.

This trailblazing article sheds light on the scope of mass
incarceration's effect on families and loved ones €”particularly
women €”and alerts us to the fact that this group has been under-studied
and often ignored. It helps lay the groundwork for a better
understanding of the consequences of mass imprisonment in the United
States and its particularly devastating impact on women with
incarcerated loved ones.

*Essie Justice Group*is an organization that works directly with women
with incarcerated loved ones. To speak to us for comment on the report
or to be put in touch with the authors of the article, please email
gina at essiejusticegroup.org <mailto:gina at essiejusticegroup.org>.

[1] <#14d920e87e15dd46__ftnref> The article was co-authored by Hedwig
Lee and Tyler McCormick of the University of Washington, Seattle;
Margaret T. Hicken of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor; and
Christopher Wildeman of Cornell University.

[2] <#14d920e87e15dd46__ftnref> €œFamily members” include male and
female relatives such as aunts, uncles, and cousins, as well as
children, partners, and parents. It is important to note that this
analysis focuses only on people serving sentences in prison, and not
those in jail. Had the article included people in jail, the number of
women affected by family member incarceration would be much higher.

Gina L. Clayton
Founder & Executive Director
Soros Justice Fellow
<http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/about/programs/us-programs/grantees/gina-clayton>Â IÂ
Echoing Green Global Fellow
<http://www.echoinggreen.org/fellows/gina-clayton>Â
Harvard Public Service Venture Fund Fellow
<http://law.harvard.edu/current/careers/psvf/2014-psvf-seeds.html>Â

Essie Justice Group
/@essie4justice /I www.essiejusticegroup.org
<http://www.essiejusticegroup.org>
O: (510) 740-2502 <tel:510%29%20740-2502>
C: (213) 369-5678 <tel:%28213%29%20369-5678>

/Essie is proudly housed by: /The Women's Foundation of California
<http://www.womensfoundca.org/> 300 Frank Ogawa Plaza, Suite 420,
Oakland, CA 94612