[Pnews] Mumia Abu Jamal is hospitalized again

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed May 13 10:21:46 EDT 2015

Dateline May 13th 2015: Philadelphia, PA

A SCI Mahanoy prison nurse called Wadiya Jamal Mumia's wife at 8:50 pm
last night May 12th and told her that Mumia had been moved to the
hospital.  This is a disturbing development and is cause for grave
concern.  There are reports that he had a fever, and that he has open
wounds and sores on his legs.  HIs attorney Bret Grote visited him on
Friday. He was engaged, alert, yet he was in pain in his knees and leg.

We will be working to gather more information as the day goes on.  His
hospital conditions will be abhorrent: he will be chained to the bed.
  He could, as they did before, be arbitrarily and systematically denied
visitors. The last time we were in the ICU they did not let his familly
or lawyers see him, or give them any information for 24hrs. Even though
they were the ICU waiting room just a few feet from Mumia's bed..

Clearly Mumia's chronic conditions remain undiagnosed and unsuccessfully
treated.  Mumia was given a skin biopsy on Monday of this week, and had
been in the infirmary following that procedure.

Mumia's legal team of Bret Grote of the Abolitionist Law Center, has
been augmented with the addition of attorney Bob Boyle. Mumia's doctor
has been speaking directly with Mumia, even though the time he has been
allowed for the phone in the infirmary was limited.  There is no phone
at the hospital. Mumia's expert medical team has been advising Mumia on
the tests and the medications that have been done. This advice has been
critical, and is now not possible.

As we noted in our last update oversight and close monitoring of any
tests, especially the diagnostic tests are crucial. The prison is
preventing Mumia and Mumia's doctors from adequate oversight and input.
Because communication is being limited by prison officials Mumia does
not have access quickly enough to information he needs to advocate for
his own care.   We are clear that Inadequate testing, delays, and any
deviation from the medically necessary course of treatment, will be
challenged.

*Obtaining a diagnosis is of paramount importance at this moment.*

Mumia remains seriously ill. Public pressure has been key every step of
the way, and remains extremely important. Please keep up the calls,
emails and faxes. Demand that (1) Adequate diagnostic testing be done
(2) That Mumia's doctor is able to communicate freely and regularly with
the prison infirmary physicians who are delivering Mumia's medical care
(3) His doctor has meaningful and regular phone access with Mumia.
(There are no phones in the hospital, in the infirmary, his calls are
limited to 15 mins and and he has limited access to the day room where
the phones are). (4) And allow Mumia's chosen doctor to conduct an
onsite medical examination. And as many have said, it is past time for
Mumia to be released from prison. *

**John Wetzel - Secretary, PA Department of Corrections –  (717) 728-4109
Thomas Wolf - Governor of Pennsylvania – (717) 787 2500

http://www.freemumia.com/2015/04/mumia-hospitalized/*