[Pnews] Ramona Africa - MOVE sole survivor: police bombing of MOVE didn't happen over a neighbor complaint

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon May 11 15:59:42 EDT 2015

  MOVE sole survivor: Didn't happen over neighbor complaint

Damon C. Williams Tribune Staff Writer
*http://www.phillytrib.com/news/move-sole-survivor-didn-t-happen-over-neighbor-complaints/article_dab26556-8538-5af0-96f9-a536efe79890.html*
<http://www.phillytrib.com/news/move-sole-survivor-didn-t-happen-over-neighbor-complaints/article_dab26556-8538-5af0-96f9-a536efe79890.html#user-comment-area>

For MOVE member Ramona Africa — the sole surviving member of the
catastrophic residential bombing of the MOVE compound on May 13, 1985 —
the focus of the group has remained steadfast over the past three
decades: the release of her family members, the MOVE 9 and Mumia Abu–Jamal.

“From the moment I was released from Muncy State Prison on May 13, 1992,
I made the three-hour drive back to Philadelphia,” Africa said. “From
that day on, it’s been a whirlwind of putting out information to educate
people and correct people’s perceptions, because the government tried to
convince people that what happened on May 13, 1985, was because of
neighbor complaints.

“This government never cared about neighbors complaining about each
other, and they particularly never cared when Black neighbors complained
about each other, so to say it happened over neighbor complaints is
absolutely ridiculous.”

*From the beginning*

Chronological events of that fateful 1985 day vary, but the essence of
the situation remain.

The 1985 conflict between MOVE and the police department has roots in
similar clashes that took place in 1978.

MOVE and the police department engaged in a shootout on August 8, 1978,
in which officer James J. Ramp was struck and killed. Africa and MOVE
contend that Ramp was not shot by a member, but from one of the police
department’s own men.

After that shootout, the MOVE 9 — Chuck, Debbie, Delbert, Eddie, Janet,
Janine, Merle, Mike and Phil Arica — were sentenced to 30–plus years for
the killing of Ramp.

“The August 8, 1978 police attack on MOVE followed years of police
brutality against MOVE and was a major military operation carried out by
the Philadelphia police department under orders of then–mayor, Frank
Rizzo,” read a portion of the historical account provided on MOVE’s
website. “Mayor Rizzo’s reputation for racism and brutality was and is
well known — it followed him up through the ranks of the police
department to the police commissioner’s office to the mayor’s office.

“The MOVE 9 are innocent men and women who have been in prison since
August 8, 1978, following a massive police attack on us at our home in
the Powelton Village neighborhood of Philadelphia,” the account
continued. “This was seven years before the government dropped a bomb on
MOVE, killing 11 people, including five babies.”

MOVE then moved to Osage Avenue in West Philadelphia in 1981, and
published reports note that neighbors almost immediately began
complaining about the lifestyle of MOVE members. When police tried to
clear MOVE from the compound, the confrontation became deadly; the city
dropped an incendiary entrance device — a bomb — on the compound,
destroying it and virtually an entire neighborhood in the process.

*Lone Survivor*

Africa was the lone adult to survive; the late Birdie Africa was the
only adolescent to live.

“One thing we always made clear to people: the root of the bombing and
the murder of MOVE men, women and babies is due to our unrelenting fight
for the release of our innocent family members, known as the MOVE 9,”
Africa said. “That is what the government is trying to silence and
crush, but they have not been able to do that, despite the vicious
bombing and murder of our members.

“That is what I have been doing, and what the family has been doing,”
Africa continued. “We have been putting out information, literally all
over the world, to correct the persona the government has been trying to
fool people with.”

Africa said support for MOVE hasn’t waned in 30 years, and the world is
coming around to the holistic teachings first espoused by MOVE Founder
and Coordinator John Africa.

John Africa founded MOVE in 1972, and died in the May 13, 1985
confrontation.

Indeed, made trendy have been the wearing of hair in locks, natural
childbirths and composting are now heralded as elements of a progressive
society.

“Back in the 1970s when MOVE first emerged, people criticized and
ostracized MOVE all across the board, for everything from wearing our
hair naturally in locks, to our natural food diet that John Africa
encouraged, to the way we had babies naturally at home and to the way we
home–schooled our children and not turning them over to the system to
so–call ‘educate,’” Africa said. “And today, people call it composting,
but for MOVE, we were simply feeding the earth that fed us. But MOVE was
criticized for that, though, with people saying we were nasty and dirty
and that we were throwing garbage in our backyard.

“Now, not only is MOVE wearing their hair naturally some 40 years later,
celebrities of all kinds are wearing their hair naturally; there are now
raw food restaurants from here to New York to California; and now with
composting, when we did it, we were called nasty, but now they put a
cute name on it and it’s an accepted thing,” Africa added. “People
didn’t want to accept [those ideals] from MOVE, but now, system
professionals are backing John Africa up — everything the MOVE founder
taught was proved to be the right way to live.”

*Birdie Africa*

Aside from comments regarding the fate of Abu–Jamal and the surviving
members of MOVE 9, Africa also shared thoughts on the passing of Birdie
Africa, also known as Michael Moses Ward, who drowned in 2013 in a hot
tub aboard a cruise ship.

Ramona Africa said Birdie’s death was “very strange” to MOVE, and that
his death remained highly suspicious, given that Birdie never drank or
took drugs, and was a capable swimmer.

Ramona confirmed Birdie was taught to swim by MOVE at a very early age,
and it was extremely difficult to reconcile the events of his death with
the Birdie that Ramona and MOVE knew.

“The one thing I’d like to point out is that if Birdie was still with
MOVE, he would have not drowned in a hot tub on a cruise, because he
would not have been on that cruise ship; it really hurt us to see Birdie
go down like that,” Africa said. “But the reality is, Birdie was a grown
man, and he had plenty opportunities to come back to MOVE and contact
us. One of his aunts made an attempt to contact me and said Birdie
wanted to see me and asked how I was doing. I told Birdie’s aunt that we
loved Birdie and to contact us at any time.

“I don’t know the types of pressures and influences Birdie was under,
but he never did contact me. It is a shame, because Birdie would have
been safe with MOVE.”

*Moving Forward*

In the end, Ramona Africa and the rest of the MOVE organization finds
itself in the same position its been since its founding — fighting for
“freedom, justice and equality,” protecting their way life and freeing
their family from what they see as an unjust confinement from a corrupt
system.

“From even 1978 to today, our focus is on the release of our innocent
family members who have been in jail for 37 years — despite their
innocence and despite being eligible for parole since 2008, when they
completed their minimum 30–year mandatory sentences,” Africa said. “The
parole board refuses to parole them unless they lie and say they are
guilty of the murder of police officer James Ramp.

“Our focus remains on the release of our innocent family members, and we
are also fighting for the release of our brother Mumia Abu–Jamal, who is
facing a serious health crisis now,” Africa added. “We have been
standing with and fighting for Mumia since Dec. 9, 1981, because he is
innocent and because we understand that he is not in prison for the
accusation of murder…this is witch hunt and a vendetta against MOVE and
Mumia.”

dwilliams at phillytrib.com