[Pnews] Urgent Medical Campaign for political prisoner Robert Seth Hayes

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue May 5 10:42:39 EDT 2015

*Robert Seth Hayes #74-A-2280*

*Medical Justice Days of Action:
May 5 - 8, 2015*

Robert Seth Hayes is one of the longest held political prisoners in the
US. He is 66 years old and suffers from multiple chronic and concerning
medical problems. As many of you know, we recently waged a medical
campaign for him a few months ago regarding rapid and concerning weight
loss as well as poorly controlled diabetes. Neither of these concerns
has been addressed to date.

NYS DOCCS states on its website that denial of adequate medical care is
a violation of a person’s eighth amendment constitutional rights, so
please help demand that Seth be provided with proper care.

Since we began our campaign last week, Seth's medical situation has
actually worsened. He has had a cough for over a week with shortness of
breath. He is also intermittently coughing up blood tinged mucus. He has
not been evaluated or treated for these symptoms.

We must keep the pressure on and be consistent, insistent and persistent
to make sure we do not lose yet another of our beloved freedom fighters
due to deliberate medical neglect.

****Please join our phone and fax campaign!***
Talking points and sample letter below*

*THINGS YOU CAN DO:*

1) On Tuesday, 5/5 and Wednesday, 5/6 please call:

***Acting Commissioner Anthony J. Annucci, NYS Department of Corrections
at *(518) 457-8134*

***Dr. Carl J. Koenigsmann, Chief Medical Officer, DOCCS Division of
Health Services at *(518) 457-7073 *

***Nancy A. Lyng, MS, Director of Health Services, at *(518) 445-6176*

2) On Thursday, 5/7 and Friday, 5/8, please fax (you can use a free
online fax service like faxzero.com <https://faxzero.com/> if needed):

***Acting Commissioner Anthony J. Annucci at Fax: *(518) 457-0076*

***Dr. Carl J. Koenigsmann M.D. at Fax: *(518) 445-7553*

***Nancy A. Lyng, MS at Fax: *(518) 445-6157*

****Suggested talking points****

State who you are calling about and include his prisoner #: Robert Seth
Hayes, #74-A-2280 at Sullivan Correctional Facility;

Say that you are requesting:
1) an immediate work-up of his cough and shortness of breath;
2) an assessment of his weight loss to have potential malignancies ruled
out;
3) modification of his insulin regimen to better control his diabetes
and prevent low blood sugars; and
4) a physician's order for a diabetic diet.

Please email nycjericho at gmail.com <mailto:nycjericho at gmail.com> and let
us know what response you receive.

*HERE IS A SAMPLE LETTER YOU CAN FAX OR MAIL*

Carl J. Koenigsmann M.D.
Deputy Commissioner/Chief Medical Officer
NYS DOCCS Division of Health Services
Harriman State Campus, Building #2
1220 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12226-2050
Fax: (518) 445-7553

Dear Dr. Koenigsmann,

I am writing on behalf of Robert Seth Hayes, #74-A-2280, DOB 10-15-48,
who is currently at Sullivan Correctional Facility in Fallsburg, NY.

Mr. Hayes suffers from poorly controlled diabetes mellitus with frequent
bouts of hypoglycemia, as well as weight loss of 40 pounds (22% of his
original body weight) in a short time. These health concerns have not
been addressed by medical staff at Sullivan Correctional Institute
despite numerous requests by the patient, family, concerned medical
providers, and the general public. He has not even been prescribed a
diabetic diet.

In addition, Mr. Hayes's medical situation has worsened in the last
week. He has had a cough with shortness of breath and is coughing up
blood tinged mucus. He needs an evaluation of his cough and shortness of
breath urgently.

I am writing to register my grave concern about the health of Mr. Hayes
and to request that he receive the following immediate and appropriate
medical care:

1) an urgent evaluation of his cough and shortness of breath;
2) a work-up of his weight loss to assess for potential malignancies;
3) a modification of his insulin regimen to better control his diabetes
and prevent episodes of hypoglycemia; and
4) a diabetic diet.

Sincerely,

cc: Anthony J. Annucci, Acting Commissioner at Fax: (518) 457-0076,
Nancy A. Lyng, MS, Director of Health Services at Fax: (518) 445-6157

Write to Seth and let him know he is in our hearts and on our minds.

Robert Seth Hayes #74A2280
Sullivan Correctional Facility
P.O. Box 116
Fallsburg, New York 12733-0116