[Pnews] Message from Political Prisoner Leonard Peltier on the 40th anniversary of the Incident at Oglala

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jun 26 14:26:27 EDT 2015

*26 June 2015*

*Greetings to you, my relatives and friends.*

*This is the first time that my dear sister Roselyn will not be there
for me, but I know she is there in spirit as she has gone on her
journey. I have seen pictures of the gathering over the years and can
still see her sitting there under the trees with our relatives… I will
always miss her and be grateful to her for all she did for me and for
our people.*

*This year I am most concerned with our children and the taking of their
own lives. This is very sad to me, as it is to you, and I know there are
many reasons for them to feel such despair and hopelessness. But I can
only ask and encourage all of us to double our efforts to show them love
and support, and let them know that we will always look after them and
protect them. That includes asking big brothers and sisters to look
after the younger ones. They are our future and have to be protected and
to learn to be the protectors. This is not something we can live with,
we need to all work to change this.*

*And this year it is even more urgent that we come together to protect
our sovereignty. There are so many issues to face and fight. We continue
to fight for our Black Hills and to stop the XL pipeline from poisoning
our water and our land, and I stand with the Lakota, Dakota and Nakota
Nations, and all people of like mind in this fight.*

*The destruction of our Mother Earth by the heavy and toxic Tar Sands
oil, fracking, gas and oil drilling and uranium mining is unacceptable
to me and to us. We are supposed to be protecting these things even as
others try to push us aside. I honor all of our relatives who are on the
front lines of this fight.*

*And after all that I have seen in these 40 years behind bars, I was
still shocked to see what they are trying to do to the Apache people at
Oak Flats. This cannot be tolerated. It is not only a blatant money grab
at the expense of a tribe’s Sacred site, but it is an effort to push us
back in the direction of termination by ignoring our rights as sovereign
nations. This we will not tolerate. Nothing is sacred to these people
and they will continue to try to bulldoze us out of the way without even
a single thought to our coming generations if we do not continue to
stand up and oppose them. We must be ready for anything or we will lose
all that we have gained in the last 40 years.*

*The continued use of racist mascots is something that we can never
accept as Indigenous peoples and we need to all continue to push to end
that racist practice.*

*As for me, time is something I have learned a lot about in these years
in prison. And now I can see that time is slipping away from me and I
know that if I do not get out under this President I will almost
certainly die here in prison.*

*I have been able to survive with the hope you have given to me and your
prayers and I am grateful for that support from all of you.*

*I continue to pray for the family of my brother Joe Stuntz and for all
those who paid such a dear price in those bitter times 40 years ago.*
*And I pray for the families of all our people who have suffered so much
and continue to suffer now.*

*I thank all of you for coming today and I know how hot it can be there.
And especially to all the runners and walkers I offer my gratitude.*

*I send my Love to the people of the Lakota Nations and to all Native
Nations,*

*In the Spirit of Crazy Horse…*

*Doksha,*

*Leonard Peltier
*

*Leonard counts on supporters like you!*

*Make a Donation Online / Pledge to Donate Monthly
<https://gem.godaddy.com/redirects/1435341615-fc1e198eac88ebd53075b4c2257881c3-6dac787?pa=31263321801>*

*Mail donations to ILPDC, PO Box 24, Hillsboro, OR 97123*