[Pnews] RevEdward Pinkney, hero of Benton Harbor, writes from prison

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jun 25 18:28:20 EDT 2015

    Rev. Pinkney, hero of Benton Harbor, speaks from prison
    <http://sfbayview.com/2015/06/rev-pinkney-hero-of-benton-harbor-speaks-from-prison/>

June 25, 2015
*http://sfbayview.com/2015/06/rev-pinkney-hero-of-benton-harbor-speaks-from-prison/*

*/by Rev. Edward Pinkney/*

If we assume that life is worth living and that man has a right to
survive, I will say the body of assorted judges, prosecutors and
politicians must be held accountable for their wrongdoing – their action
and inaction. We must find a right alternative to injustice in America.

In a day when drones hurtle through the air and guided ballistic
missiles carve highways of death, destroy God’s green earth and his
children, we must say “No more!” to injustice. We have never achieved
anything in this life from the oppressor. We haven’t made a single gain
from the oppressor without the confrontation of power to power.

I am calling for a rebirth of America itself. Considering the nation’s
initial birth, with its genocidal treatment of Native Americans and
inhumane enslavement of African Americans and poor whites, we the people
must re-examine the country – the land of the free and the home of the
brave.

We must come together and stand up and fight back – Blacks, poor whites,
brown, red, yellow, everyone. We the people must come together!

I am not asking but demanding that we re-examine our economic
priorities. I insist that budgets are moral documents. It is
transparently immoral to pay the outrageous price of a reckless military
adventure while cutting out the heart of our domestic social programs.

Martin Luther King said, “Bombs being dropped in foreign countries and
around the world are landing in Black neighborhoods in all of America.”

In Berrien County, Michigan (where the historic, Black town of Benton
Harbor has become a “company town” for the Whirlpool Corp., which
controls the politics and has been trying to drive out the Black
population, focusing its powerful wrath on Rev. Pinkney), we have the
rogue justice system led by the rogue prosecutor Mike Sepic, a person
who ignores the laws and evidence when prosecuting Blacks and poor
whites in many cases.

Mike Sepic bases his decisions on unrevealed, deeply held prejudices,
which result in inappropriate punishment and convictions. His actions
are not based on a desire to achieve a just, fair or moral outcome.
Sepic intentionally charged me with a more serious crime to seek a more
severe penalty than was proper for my lawful exercise of a
constitutional right (Rev. Pinkney was charged with vote fraud and
convicted with zero evidence).

An independent and honorable judiciary is indispensable to justice in
our society. The public confidence in the judiciary was eroded by
irresponsible and improper conduct by Judge Sterling Schrock and
prosecutor Mike Sepic. Judge Schrock failed to avoid impropriety and the
appearance of impropriety. He failed to respect and observe the law
during my trial.

I believe that unarmed and unconditional love will have the final word
in reality. That is why truth temporarily defeated is stronger than evil
triumphant. Let’s stand together and fight back. We can win!

/Send our brother some love and light: Rev. Edward Pinkney, 294671,
Lakeland Correctional Facility, 141 First St., Coldwater MI 49036./

    *Michigan’s No. 1 political prisoner*

Rev. Edward Pinkney has been deprived of his liberty for the last six
months. Among the most fearless fighters for Black people and poor
people in Michigan, he sits in prison falsely accused of vote fraud,
separated from loved ones and community, in a blatant case of state
repression.

The charges stem from a campaign to recall the Benton Harbor mayor, who
opposed an income tax that would have generated desperately-needed
revenue for the city from Whirlpool Inc. By imprisoning Pinkney, the
officials of Berrien County and their corporate master, Whirlpool, hope
to intimidate, subdue and silence the people of Benton Harbor.

Rev. Pinkney’s spirit isn’t so easily broken. According to his wife,
Dorothy, who speaks with him twice a day to monitor his health and
wellbeing, he is “himself” – meaning dynamic, irrepressible,
indomitable, still organizing, both inside and outside the prison walls.
But unless and until he gets free on appeal, there are urgent needs we
can help with right now.

*Spread the word! *What’s happening in Benton Harbor affects us
everywhere. Pinkney’s work is on the front line of the battle against
political corruption, corporate greed and racist genocide. Benton Harbor
was the first city in Michigan to be subjected to an Emergency Financial
Manager.

Learn more about the struggles in Benton Harbor and Black Autonomy
Network Community Organization’s campaigns for justice, at
http://pinkneycentral.weebly.com/info.html and http://bhbanco.org
<http://bhbanco.org/>.

*Boycott Whirlpool* and subsidiaries Amana, Estate, Gladiator Garage
Works, Insperience, Jenn-Air, KitchenAid, Magic Chef, Maytag, Roper,
Acros, Inglis, Bauknecht, Brastemp, Admiral, IKEA appliances and some
Kenmore.

*Donate, help raise funds, hold a fundraiser*. Dorothy Pinkney is paying
about $300 per month just for phone calls, commissary expenses and
visiting. Case expenses run to the hundreds and thousands of dollars,
before attorney fees. The court compelled Rev. Pinkney to pay
restitution to the mayor of Benton Harbor, the target of the recall
petition.

Dorothy says, “We know the economy’s bad and we’re not asking anyone to
give what they don’t have. But if you can give a little, we really
appreciate it.”

Donate online at http://bhbanco.org <http://bhbanco.org/> (click the
Donate button) or send checks to BANCO, 1940 Union Ave., Benton Harbor,
MI 49022.