[Pnews] Opposition to Solitary Confinement Gains National Support, Monthly Statewide Actions Continue June 23rd

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jun 22 13:57:43 EDT 2015

Opposition to Solitary Confinement Gains National Support, Monthly
Statewide Actions Continue

Prisoner Solidarity Hunger Strike Coalition

*Tuesday, June 23*

** **Tomorrow, community organizations, families and loved ones of
people in solitary, and advocates across California will be mobilizing a
day of Statewide Coordinated Actions to End Solitary Confinement each
month. These mobilizations are a response to a proposal from prisoners
in Pelican Bay State Prison involved in the 2011 and 2013 Hunger
Strikes, who put forward the idea of designating a day each month as
Prisoner’s Rights Day. “Our outside supporters have all of our
gratitude; their tireless efforts supportive of our cause make a giant
positive difference,” says Todd Ashker, a prisoner who has been in
solitary at Pelican Bay State Prison for over two decades, and a lead
plaintiff in a class action lawsuit against California for the use of
solitary confinement. “They have recently begun monthly supportive
actions – across the state – publicly rallying on the 23^rd  of each
month for the purpose of keeping the subject of our endless torture in
public view, and thereby exposed to the world. The 23^rd  of each month
is symbolic of our 23+ hours per day in these tombs-of-the-living-dead –
and it is hoped such rallies will spread across the nation.”

**Various locations across California, including San Diego, Los Angeles,
Santa Cruz, San Jose, Oakland, Arcata, San Francisco and others. For a
complete list with information, please see
https://prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com/2015/06/14/june-23rd-statewide-coordinated-actions-to-end-solitary-confinement-locations-details/

The actions are being organized by groups with the Prisoner Hunger
Strike Solidarity Coalition (PHSS), and are supported by over 70
community groups and organizations from California, and around the
country and world.

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR)
refuses to respect basic human rights by continuing to keep people
isolated in cells, often for years upon years, despite international
condemnation calling on California to end its practice of solitary
confinement. Solitary confinement has been defined as torture by the
U.N., yet the U.S. puts more people in solitary and for longer periods
than any other country, and California continues to be an outlier in the
U.S. California continues to use the practice in violation of
international law and, as many believe, in violation of the U.S.’s
policy against cruel and unusual punishment. These coordinated
actions seek to build organized, community-based pressure outside prison
walls, and to amplify the demands of prisoners who continue to call for
the end of torture.

/Spokespeople will be available to speak with media at all locations.
For more information, please visit
prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com
<http://prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com/>/