[Pnews] Political Prisoner Robert Seth Hayes - Medical Justice Days of Action June 2-5

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jun 1 10:49:10 EDT 2015

*Robert Seth Hayes #74-A-2280**
**Medical Justice Days of Action**
June 2 - 5, 2015*

Seth’s medical condition continues to worsen, and he has not been
evaluated or treated for potentially life-threatening symptoms despite
following formal medical care request procedures within the prison.
Because the medical staff at the prison and Health Services of the
Department of Correction continue to neglect his medical needs despite
numerous calls from concerned medical providers and other citizens, we
are urging both Commissioner Annucci and Governor Cuomo to exercise
oversight and see to it that Seth finally receives proper medical care.
Read Seth's May 17, 2015 Sick Call Request here
<http://www.jerichony.org/images24/05-17-15_Seth_Sick_Call_Request.pdf>.

*WE MUST KEEP THE PRESSURE ON AND CONTINUE TO CALL AND FAX.*

Robert Seth Hayes is one of the longest held political prisoners in the
US. He is 66 years old and suffers from multiple chronic and concerning
medical problems. As many of you know, we waged a medical campaign for
him a few months ago regarding rapid and concerning weight loss as well
as poorly controlled diabetes. Neither of these concerns has been
addressed to date. NYS DOCCS states on its website that denial of
adequate medical care is a violation of a person’s eighth amendment
constitutional rights, so please help demand that Seth be provided with
proper care.

Since we began our campaign, Seth's medical situation has actually
worsened. He has had a cough with shortness of breath. He is also
intermittently coughing up blood tinged mucous. He has not been
evaluated or treated for these symptoms. He has a mass in the upper left
quadrant of his abdomen which puts pressure on his diaphragm, increasing
his difficulty breathing.

We must keep the pressure on and be consistent, insistent and persistent
to make sure we do not lose yet another of our beloved freedom fighters
due to deliberate medical neglect.

*Please join our phone and fax campaign!
Talking points and sample letter below*

*THINGS YOU CAN DO:*

1) On Tuesday, 6/2 and Wednesday, 6/3 please call:

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo at *(518) 474-8390 x2*

Acting Commissioner Anthony J. Annucci, NYS Department of Corrections at
*(518) 457-8134*

2) On Thursday, 6/4 and Friday, 6/5, please fax (you can use a free
online fax service like faxzero.com <https://faxzero.com/> if needed):

Governor Cuomo at Fax: *(518) 486-4466*

Acting Commissioner Anthony J. Annucci at Fax: *(518) 457-0076*

*Suggested talking points*

State who you are calling about and include his prisoner #: Robert Seth
Hayes, #74-A-2280 at Sullivan Correctional Facility;

Say that you are requesting oversight of the medical team at Sullivan
and DOCC Health Services as well as:
1) an immediate work-up of his cough and shortness of breath;
2) an assessment of his weight loss to have potential malignancies ruled
out;
3) an assessment of the mass in his abdomen;
4) modification of his insulin regimen to better control his diabetes
and prevent low blood sugars; and
5) a physician’s order for a diabetic diet.

Please email nycjericho at gmail.com <mailto:nycjericho at gmail.com> and let
us know what response you receive so that it can be given to Seth’s
legal team.

*HERE IS A SAMPLE LETTER YOU CAN FAX, MAIL OR SUBMIT ONLINE
<http://www.governor.ny.gov/contact/GovernorContactForm.php>:*

The Honorable Andrew M. Cuomo
Governor of New York State
NYS State Capitol Building
Albany, NY 12224
Fax: (518) 486-4466

Dear Governor Cuomo,

I am writing regarding Robert Seth Hayes, #74-A-2280, DOB 10-15-48, who
is currently at Sullivan Correctional Facility in Fallsburg, NY.

Mr. Hayes suffers from poorly controlled diabetes mellitus with frequent
bouts of hypoglycemia, as well as weight loss of 40 pounds (22% of his
original body weight) in a short time. These health concerns have not been
addressed by medical staff at Sullivan Correctional Institute despite
numerous requests by the patient, family, concerned medical providers,
and the general public. He has not even been prescribed a diabetic diet.

Mr. Hayes' medical situation has actually worsened in the past two
months. He has a cough with shortness of breath and a mass in the upper
left quadrant of his abdomen which puts pressure on his diaphragm,
increasing his difficulty breathing. He has also developed three lumps
on his chest. He has not been evaluated or treated for these symptoms.

I am writing to register my grave concern about the health of Mr. Hayes
and to request that he receive the following immediate and appropriate
medical care:

1) an immediate work-up of his cough and shortness of breath;
2) an assessment of his weight loss to have potential malignancies ruled
out;
3) an assessment of the mass in his abdomen and the lumps on ihs chest;
4) modification of his insulin regimen to better control his diabetes
and prevent low blood sugars; and
5) a physician’s order for a diabetic diet.

I thank you for your prompt attention to these medical matters.

Sincerely,
______________________
cc: Anthony J. Annucci, Acting Commissioner at Fax: (518) 457-0076

Write to Seth and let him know he is in our hearts and on our minds.

Robert Seth Hayes #74A2280
Sullivan Correctional Facility
P.O. Box 116
Fallsburg, New York 12733-0116