[Pnews] Report on Mumia Abu Jamal Visit 5/28

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jun 1 10:36:38 EDT 2015

Monday, June 1, 2015

Report On My Visit to Mumia

Dear Mumia Supporters and Friends,

I saw Mumia for an extended visit this past Thursday, May 28.  Mumia
seemed much better able to handle a four hour visit than he had been
when I last saw him, and had I not had to leave, it would have been an
even longer visit.  He was still in a wheel chair because his swollen
feet and legs make it very painful to stand.  Despite this pain he makes
sure to walk at least a half hour a day.  Though thin because of the
huge weight loss, he looked a lot better than when I saw him about a
month ago. He has gained some weight but is still way below his weight
prior to getting ill.  He is eating a great deal, ate much more than
usual even during my visit, is still given a diabetic diet, and feels
his body is trying to recover from the huge skin and weight loss.  His
face and right hand are completely clear.  The rest of his body is not
but the itching and pain are mostly gone.

Mumia spoke energetically and his mood was very positive.  He spoke of
how close to death he had been.  Had there not been an international
outcry about the lack of appropriate treatment, in fact AGAINST  the
“treatment” that was bringing him so close to death, he was sure he
would not be alive today.  He continues to be very grateful for the love
and support he has received for several months now, and expresses
graphically how he could feel it in the air.  Once again, he was in awe
of our movement, its power and effectiveness.

I had greeted him at the inmates’ entrance to the visiting room because
I could see him struggling, recognizing his shower sandal covered foot
sticking out into the visiting room, and went over to help him maneuver
the wheel chair in.  Even a small thing such as getting through a
doorway with a large wheelchair is not made easier by the prison staff.
By contrast, Mumia spoke of the extraordinary kindness and gentleness of
the inmates who help him with ordinary activities such as bathing in the
infirmary.

Mumia remains in the infirmary.  He continues to get the therapeutic
baths prescribed for his skin problem.  He is no longer taking ANY
medication for the diabetic symptoms he had developed.  Yet his sugar
level which he monitors daily is in the 80’s suggesting that the so
called medical “care” he had gotten at the infirmary had brought on the
diabetic crisis.  Once the medication was discontinued he seems to have
recovered significantly from that aspect of his illness.

The big news, which Mumia told me with great relief as soon as he walked
in, was that the prison doctor had just told him, as he was coming out
into the visiting room, that the biopsy results were all negative!  This
was cause to celebrate … but with caution.

I say BIG CAUTION as all the reports Mumia is now getting are based on
the prison doctors’ oral diagnoses.  They are interpreting the hospital
reports, and neither Mumia nor his wife, lawyers, or consulting doctors
have been given the actual medical reports.  The Department of
Corrections is refusing to hand over these reports, claiming that they
don’t have to do so because the case is now in litigation unless forced
to by the courts.  The health risks of not sharing the extensive
hospital reports which were based on extensive testing are considerable
as it is impossible for Mumia’s private doctors to advise the prison
doctors on how to treat Mumia without having those full reports.  This
is one of the demands we must make immediately:  RELEASE THE HOSPITAL
RECORDS TO MUMIA, HIS WIFE, AND HIS LAWYERS so that they can immediately
be shared with Mumia’s private consulting doctor. It is absolutely
outrageous, and in violation of the Department of Corrections’ own
regulations, to withhold medical records and reports from the client,
his closest kin, and his lawyers.  It is clearly dangerous to Mumia’s
health for the DOC to be denying Mumia’s basis rights on this issue of
medical record availability.   Mumia’s lawyers have already challenged
this latest threat to his medical care.  We will keep you informed as we
get additional information.  In the meantime call and e-mail the DOC and
demand that Mumia’s hospital records be released to him, his wife, and
his lawyers immediately

*DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS, SECRETARY JOHN WETZEL*

*717 728 4109
E-mail ra-contactdoc at pa.gov <mailto:ra-contactdoc at pa.gov>
Wetzel’s secretary: secyra-crpadocsecretary at pa.gov *

**

We have definitely made some progress, but we have a long way to go. We
still have no diagnosis of the diabetic picture, no diagnosis of the
skin problem, and no diagnosis of the extremely swollen feet and legs.
And, we have no hospital records.  Most important, Mumia remains in
prison where he cannot fully recover nor get the kind of care he needs.
He never should have been in prison in the first place, but he surely
should be released now.

For Mumia, for justice, for all our political prisoners,

Suzanne Ross
info at freemumia.com