[Pnews] 7 Ways to Turn Your Anger Over Sandra Bland Into Action In Support of Incarcerated (and Formerly Incarcerated) Black Women

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jul 27 10:35:20 EDT 2015

http://www.blackgirldangerous.org/2015/07/angry-about-sandra-bland-here-are-7-ways-to-turn-that-anger-into-action-in-support-of-incarcerated-and-formerly-incarcerated-black-women/

  7 Ways to Turn Your Anger Over Sandra Bland Into Action In Support of
  Incarcerated (and Formerly Incarcerated) Black Women

Posted on July 24, 2015
<http://www.blackgirldangerous.org/2015/07/angry-about-sandra-bland-here-are-7-ways-to-turn-that-anger-into-action-in-support-of-incarcerated-and-formerly-incarcerated-black-women/> by
editors
<http://www.blackgirldangerous.org/author/blackgirldangerousgmail-com/>

/by Desiree Stevens/

The funneling of black children through the school-to-prison pipeline is
a dangerous trend that pervades society. As a result, black people make
up a disproportionately high percentage of the prison population. For
young black girls, the reality is that we make the largest growing
demographic of incarcerated people in the U.S.

With #BlackLivesMatter rallies occurring across the nation, and tragic
stories such as those of Natasha McKenna and Sandra Bland surfacing
every week, it’s important now more than ever to center the experiences
of formerly and currently incarcerated black women. It’s crucial to
acknowledge and amplify our voices if we wish to have a truly inclusive
and liberating movement.

I have always been outspoken about my views regarding white supremacy
and anti-black racism. The predominately white university I attended had
a history of putting on minstrel shows, further marginalizing the
already small black student body. I was hanging with friends one night
and race was brought up. Feeling triggered, our conversation quickly
escalated into a heated debate. Next I recall being pepper sprayed,
slammed against a police car, and without my rights read to me, unfairly
taken to jail. While behind bars, I was mistreated and neglected. I
experienced physical abuse by correctional officers, who hurled
misogynoiristic slurs at me. Even after release, I still carry the
trauma. Many black women will continue to live through these conditions
with some, likeNatasha McKenna
<http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/05/police-report-confirms-officers-mckenna-with-her-hands-cuffed-and-legs-shackled/> and
Sandra Bland
<http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-officials-release-video-in-texas-jail-hanging-case-20150720-story.html#page=1>,
even dying at the hands of our captors. If we really believe that black
lives matter, we must actively take steps to show up for black women.

There are ways we can start today:

*1. Let Us Live:* The criminalization of black girls starts early; they
face higher rates of suspension compared to their non-black
counterparts, which begins and upholds the school to prison pipeline.
Showing up for incarcerated black women means allowing space for us to
live authentically. We live in a heightened state of being policed but
our personal treatment of black girls can make a difference. Support our
agency. Let us dance. Let us wear our hair in a way we see fit. Support
us in taking back our autonomy in proactive way.

*2. De-stigmatize your perception of incarceration:* In a criminal
(in)justice system where prosecutors are 95% white, where jurors are
overwhelmingly white, and whose history was built upon criminalizing
black people, it’s no surprise that black people face harsher and longer
sentences. From Jim Crow to the “War on Drugs”, the livelihood of black
people has been and continues to be policed. As black women our actions,
like grocery shopping, walking to a bar as a black trans woman
<http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/the-transgender-crucible-20140730>,
or defending ourselves against domestic violence
<http://www.essence.com/2015/03/04/marissa-alexander-exclusive> carry
the risk of incarceration or death. In an effort to fight for black
women and femmes who are disproportionately targeted by these laws, it’s
important to realize how we are systematically policed and how that
manifests into imprisonment.

*3. Uplift the narratives of incarcerated black women: *In the US, black
women are more likely to face imprisonment than women of any other
racial group, yet mainstream media ignores our stories. It’s important
to bring our narratives to light. Black women’s experiences with police
brutality <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWK9m2Tfr8w>,
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWK9m2Tfr8w> mistreatment inside
prison, and unfair sentencing need to be shared. Fundraise for our
attendance to statewide and national conferences so we have a greater
platform to share our truths.#SayOurNames
<http://www.aapf.org/sayhernamereport/>. Share our stories. Center us,
and let it be known that #IncarceratedBlackWomensLivesMatter, too.

*4. Intentionally give space:* There is a lot of pain associated with
being institutionalized and carrying the risk of incarceration. Since
our voices are often silenced, it’s important for us to have a space to
go to where we are heard, & feel validated. Be that space.

*5. Work with orgs that serve incarcerated people and center black women
& femmes:*Despite constant harassment on the inside, one of the most
important experiences I had was a phone call from my sibling. It kept me
going and gave me something to live for. Being locked up can be bleak
but it doesn’t have to be. /Black & Pink/
<http://www.blackandpink.org/> and /Dignity & Power Now/
<http://dignityandpowernow.org/> are just two entities that offer
support to currently and formerly incarcerated people. Be intentional
about providing support to black queer and trans women, as we often deal
with intersectional forms of violence in and out of institutions. Write
a letter, make a phone call, put some money on our books; small things
like this can be hugely impactful for us, and can make time spent on the
inside a little less dreadful.

*6. Share the wealth!* It can be difficult to navigate life once
released from jail. With a criminal record, it can be difficult and
nearly impossible to secure employment. Monetary assistance is
essential. Donate to crowdfunding efforts that help once-jailed black
women in our re-entry efforts. Support the entrepreneurial projects of
formerly incarcerated black women. If you cannot give money directly,
consider donating items to community centers that focus on giving back
to black women. Contributions like this can drastically change the life
of a black women whose life is forever changed because of incarceration.

*7. Advocate for & support policy changes:* There is legislation in
place that unfairly criminalizes black women and you can play a role in
eliminating it. For example, the zero-tolerance policies that exist in
primary and secondary schools, disproportionately target young black
girls at our most vulnerable phase of development, needs to be
abolished. An alternative response could be restorative justice, a
community-based response to conflict. This method minimizes the
influence of police and offers all parties involved the opportunity to
be accountable. At the same time, it allows young black girls the safety
from having to interact with oppressive police officers. Implementing
these can be instrumental in creating change. President Obama just
unveiled new criminal justice proposals
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JES214BYd2k> to lessen the impact of
mass incarceration in the US. These include minimizing sentences for
nonviolent drug possession, eliminating solitary confinement, “banning
the box” on job applications, and restoring voting rights to released
prisoners. We also need to support these reforms and fight to abolish
other harmful laws.

In the midst of anti-black misogyny, and subsequent criminalization,
that we are subject to, it’s our collective duty to memorialize those
we’ve lost at the hands of our oppressors and to show up for black women
and girls who continue to be subject to them. Together, we can help
shift the narratives of incarcerated black women.