[Pnews] Pattern of practice: Centuries of racist oppression culminating in mass incarceration

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jan 27 11:01:14 EST 2015

    Pattern of practice: Centuries of racist oppression culminating in
    mass incarceration
    <http://sfbayview.com/2015/01/pattern-of-practice-centuries-of-racist-oppression-culminating-in-mass-incarceration/>

January 26, 2015
*http://sfbayview.com/2015/01/pattern-of-practice-centuries-of-racist-oppression-culminating-in-mass-incarceration/*
<http://sfbayview.com/2015/01/pattern-of-practice-centuries-of-racist-oppression-culminating-in-mass-incarceration/#>

/*by Mutope Duguma*/

In 1619, the first Africans were brought to North America by force to be
slaves. From 1619 to 1776, this brutal chattel slave system was able to
flourish in the 13 British colonies. From 1776, the United States
government would take over the reins of this land, including its brutal
slave system. From 1776 to 1865, while declaring its independence from
its mother country, Great Britain, on July 4, 1776, the U.S.
nevertheless held onto all of its evil practices.

The so-called Emancipation Proclamation of 1863 would end slavery as we
know it. At the end of the Civil War in 1865, these so-called freed
slaves would be subjugated by a new system of exclusion and exploitation
under the Black Codes. Instituted by the slave states as slave codes,
the Black Codes effectively re-enslaved Black people identified as
vagrants, replacing their freedom with forced labor.

After the brief period of Black involvement in government known as
Reconstruction, from 1865 to 1877, Black freedom was also denied for
almost 100 more years by legalized racial segregation under the Jim Crow
laws. After winning their freedom in the bloodiest conflict in U.S.
history, Blacks were in many cases and places denied basic human, civil
and political rights: the right to vote, the right to employment, the
right to freely move about, the right to own land, the right to
education, the right to decent housing, the right to adequate food and
clothing, the right to a fair and just judicial system and much more,
literally forcing New Afrikans back into slavery by denying them a right
to life. Jim Crow segregation in one form or another was practiced
nationwide.

      *Pattern of practice*

Our Afrikan ancestors were forced to make their own way, while being
denied everything and subjected to vicious racist attacks by local,
state and federal government officials. The state would use vagrancy
laws in order to criminalize New Afrikans because they did not have a
job. Unemployment was considered a violation of state law, although the
same system shut them out of the job market.

Once they were convicted under the vagrancy laws, they would be off to
the penitentiary, where they would be forced back into slavery, legally,
under the 13th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. So the government was
able to use its judicial proceedings in order to incarcerate thousands
of New Afrikans under these vagrancy and Jim Crow laws in order to force
them back into free slave labor, which was the government’s objective.

      *Pattern of practice*

The struggle for civil rights in this country can easily define what I
mean by pattern of practice. The Civil Rights Act of 1866 was vetoed by
President Andrew Johnson, but the law still passed. It was supposed to
give New Afrikans citizenship and extensive civil rights for all men
born in the United States, except “Native Indians.” The Enforcement Act
of 1870 was passed to re-enact the Civil Rights Act of 1866 once the
14^th Amendment made its enforcement unquestionably constitutional.

Much of the Civil Rights Act of 1871 was codified into federal law as
Section 1983, but its influence waned as Reconstruction ended. Then the
Civil Rights Act of 1875 was passed to outlaw discrimination in public
places because of race or previous servitude. But in 1883, the act was
declared unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court, which stated that
the 14th Amendment, the constitutional basis of the act, protected
individual rights against infringement by the states, not by other
individuals.

      *Pattern of practice*

The Civil Rights Acts of 1957, 1960, 1964 and 1968 were basically
testaments to the consistency of a resistance struggle for civil rights
in this country by New Afrikans and the countless human beings who would
join in this Civil and Human Rights Movement, yet the system would
continue to interfere with and obstruct the human and civil rights of
New Afrikans every step of the way for over 100 years. And today we are
right back where we started, fighting for our human and civil rights.

      *Pattern of practice*

We very well could be fighting for our human and civil rights in this
country as long as the Congress – the Senate and the House of
Representatives – the legislative branch of the United States
government, continues to deny New Afrikans our human and civil rights
indefinitely. Government intransigence forces New Afrikans to address
this issue every 20 years or so. This is where the real injustices
occur, speaking to the real racist application of such pattern of
practice. Throughout our struggle, the Civil Rights Movement was and is
of astronomical value in our Resistance Movement.

      *Brief historical perspective*

It would be counterproductive not to mention Denmark Vesey, Martin
Delaney and especially Marcus Garvey and the contributions he and the
United Negro Improvement Association (UNIA) made toward our struggle for
independence, which nationalized us as a people, because that
organization would be the catalyst for many freedom movements to come.

The civil and human rights organizations were all instrumental in laying
a foundation for more progressive struggles that would take center stage
in our struggle to be liberated, starting with the Nation of Islam
(NOI), the Black Liberation Movement (BLM), which would give life to the
Black Panther Party (BPP), Republic of New Afrika (RNA), Black
Liberation Army (BLA) and countless other revolutionary formations that
would become the face of the struggle for Black liberation, i.e.,
freedom in Amerika.

We must begin to see these Sistas and Bruthas as our honorable men and
women who have made sacrifices and continue to stand in struggle, while
always remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

The New Afrikan Independence Movement (NAIM) would be established and
our struggle continue for self-determination, enabling us to govern
ourselves as a New Afrikan independent nation within the borders of
Amerika. New Afrikans would attempt to mobilize our people around
socio-cultural, political and economic principles that speak to our
humanity as a people, bringing into focus an ideology that represents
the core of our identity, life style and beliefs that’s inclusive of all
humanity.

      The civil and human rights organizations were all instrumental in
      laying a foundation for more progressive struggles that would take
      center stage in our struggle to be liberated.

These movements would progress until the mid-1970s , when state and
federal governments made a concerted effort to stamp out all New Afrikan
movements. Whether they were peaceful or radical, the government would
conduct a vicious campaign, where the local, state and federal law
enforcement agencies would work in conjunction to murder and incarcerate
any New Afrikans who dared to fight for their basic humanity and right
to self-determination.

These repressive attacks by the government jeopardized our political and
ideological development as a people. The brutal suppression programs
waged against our people put fear in many, and the struggle for freedom
had to take a back seat. To some extent, fear took the fight out of the
people.

      *Pattern of practice: Lost communities*

This would open up the floodgates to the many street vices that would be
introduced and unleashed on the New Afrikan communities: extreme
poverty, drugs, alcohol, police, guns, etc., etc. – all weapons of mass
destruction.

At the same time, New Afrikans would move toward re-assimilation into
the fabric of Amerikan society, especially the professional New
Afrikans, who could provide a service that could be exploited for the
interests of corporate Amerika, not the people, and many abandoned their
old neighborhoods. The more economically deprived the New Afrikan
community was, the more desperate it became, and it is here where all
sense of community would begin to be lost – where each individual would
be trying to survive at the expense of everyone else, by any means
necessary.

The generations to come, from 1975 to the present, would be left to
their own devices, causing many to be compromised by the very vices just
spoken to.

      *Pattern of practice: Weapons of mass destruction*

In the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, PCP pills and heroin were heavily pumped
into our communities; in the 1980s and 1990s, it was PCP and crack
cocaine; in the mid-1980s and 1990s, guns saturated our communities –
every inner city ghetto and all the other residential areas largely
populated by New Afrikans. Drive-by fast-food joints saturated the
community, causing mass obesity; liquor stores saturated the community,
causing addiction to a legal substance; toxic chemical plants saturated
the community, causing all kinds of ailments. Militarized police
departments saturated – and occupied – the community, murdering our
children and people with impunity.

Over the years, the government declared and waged war on the New Afrikan
communities: In the 1800s, it was a war on unemployed “vagrants,” where
countless so-called newly freed slaves were incarcerated in order to
re-enslave them under the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution; in
the 1970s and 1980s, it was a war on crime, and thousands of New
Afrikans would be criminalized; in the 1980s and 1990s the war on drugs
would be used to imprison New Afrikans at alarming rates, until 40-50
percent of the population of the prison industrial slave complex (PISC)
would be New Afrikans; in the mid-1980s, 1990s and 2000s the war on
gangs would be used to terrorize the New Afrikan communities, with
battering rams, SWAT teams, gang injunctions, gentrification, illegal
evictions and mass incarceration.

In the mid-1990s, the war on domestic terrorism would seal the fate of
thousands of prisoners serving life sentences, when the then so-called
first Black president, Bill Clinton, signed off on the Antiterrorism and
Effective Death Penalty Act (AEDPA) that would subject thousands of poor
New Afrikans to civil death.

These are all coded declarations of war on the New Afrikan people.

      *Pattern of practice: Economic deprivation*

Government and corporate Amerika have been active participants in making
sure that New Afrikans and their communities are economically deprived
by refusing to keep up the property they own and control. The people who
were born and raised in these communities have to watch their property
values drop while they are not allowed to maintain or utilize those
facilities for the interests of the community.

And when the people offer to purchase such desolate property, then the
true intentions of the government and corporate owners are exposed. They
attempt to hide behind some state or federal policy to explain why the
property cannot be sold or given to the people to improve, or the
corporate owners will attempt to place some huge, out-of-the-ordinary
price on such desolate property that they have no use for, other than as
an instrument to devalue the already struggling, economically deprived
communities.

This is nothing but a scheme that’s been used for over a century to
create poverty-stricken environments all over Amerika, especially in the
New Afrikan communities.

      *Pattern of practice: Political prisoners*

State and federal prisons hold the many New Afrikan political prisoners
all over this country in solitary confinement units, where they are
tortured by state and federal government workers for their political
beliefs. We’re talking about the most educated of our people, kept in
isolation for decades, with no end in sight for release from these state
and federal torture chambers.

Many have dedicated their lives to helping improve our living conditions
and empowering the people to control the socio-cultural, political and
economic systems that ultimately dictate their lives. We must, as fellow
humans, reach back to these men and women who have sacrificed so much.

      *Pattern of practice: Modern day slavery*

The government deliberately calculated that building its prison
industrial slave complex (PISC), which is humongous, throughout the
United States in strategic areas would not only provide a surplus of
modern day slaves. The new system of plantations would be welcomed into
many dilapidated, economically deprived white, rural communities with
its promise to create jobs – at the expense of other impoverished human
beings – which has been a very clever way of laundering taxpayers’ money
back into white communities. We’re talking about billions of dollars, if
not trillions, over a period of time.

      *Pattern of practice: Main culprits*

Corporate Amerika works hand in hand with the United States government
against the New Afrkican community by using its institutions to carry
out race and class warfare, by glamorizing on the television and in
movies a malignant sub-culture that was to dehumanize, devalue, degrade
and desensitize New Afrikans to the rest of the world, as well as
ourselves – a marketing campaign toward our genocide. There has always
been an indictment against New Afrikans in the U.S. by local, state and
federal goverments that is implemented through policies and laws that
can be tracked easily from 1619 to today.

The politicians who are the power brokers of this nation use the Black
establishment, the Asian establishment, the Latino establishment etc. as
willing participants in carrying out institutionalized racist policies
that have been genocidal toward humanity.

      *Pattern of practice: Conclusion*

There seems to be one thing that the Democrats, Republicans and
Independent politicians can agree on unanimously, and that is the
declaration of war against New Afrikan and other oppressed people, while
depriving those humans of basic necessities, such as adequate
educational institutions, adequate jobs, adequate housing, adequate food
and clean water etc.

We, the people, have to address corporate and institutionalized racism
if we are truly about social justice. It is the only way we can attempt
to achieve something in respect to ending the prevalent injustices that
plague us as humans.

One love, one struggle!

/Mutope Duguma/

/Send our brother some love and light: Mutope Duguma, s/n James
Crawford, D-05996, PBSP SHU D2-107, P.O. Box 7500, Crescent City CA 95532./