[Pnews] My Future in Prison - Kathy Kelly

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jan 23 13:56:02 EST 2015

Weekend Edition January 23-25, 2015
http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/01/23/my-future-in-prison/

*A Wrongheaded Criminal Justice System*

  My Future in Prison

by KATHY KELLY

The Bureau of Prisons contacted me today, assigning me a prison number
and a new address: for the next 90 days, beginning tomorrow, I’ll live
at FMC Lexington, in the satellite prison camp for women, adjacent to
Lexington’s federal medical center for men. Very early tomorrow morning,
Buddy Bell, Cassandra Dixon, and Paco and Silver, two house guests whom
we first met in protests on South Korea’s Jeju Island
<http://www.indcatholicnews.com/news.php?viewStory=24986>, will travel
with me to Kentucky and deliver me to the satellite women’s prison
outside the Federal Medical Center for men.

In December, 2014, Judge Matt Whitworth sentenced me to three months in
federal prison after Georgia Walker and I had attempted
<http://dissidentvoice.org/2014/12/drones-and-discrimination/> to
deliver a loaf of bread and a letter to the commander of Whiteman Air
Force base, asking him to stop his troops from piloting lethal drone
flights over Afghanistan from within the base. Judge Whitworth allowed
me over a month to surrender myself to prison; but whether you are a
soldier or a civilian, a target or an unlucky bystander, you can’t
surrender to a drone.

When I was imprisoned at Lexington prison in 1988, after a federal
magistrate in Missouri sentenced me to one year in prison for planting
corn on nuclear missile silo sites, other women prisoners playfully
nicknamed me “Missiles.” One of my sisters reliably made me laugh today,
texting me to ask if I thought the women this time would call me “Drones.”

It’s good to laugh and feel camaraderie before heading into prison. For
someone like me, very nearly saturated in “white privilege” through much
of this arrest, trial, and sentencing process, 90% (or more) of my
experience will likely depend on attitude.

But, for many of the people I’ll meet in prison, an initial arrest very
likely began with something like a “night raid” staged in Iraq or
Afghanistan, complete with armed police surrounding and bursting into
their home to remove them from children and families, often with
helicopters overhead, sequestering them in a county jail, often with
very little oversight to assure that guards and wardens treat them
fairly. Some prisoners will not have had a chance to see their children
before being shipped clear across the country. Some will not have been
given adequate medical care as they adjust to life in prison, possibly
going without prescribed medicines and often traumatized by the sudden
dissolution of ties with family and community. Some will not have had
the means to hire a lawyer and may not have learned much about their
case from an overworked public defender.

In the U.S., the criminal justice system disproportionately incarcerates
people of color for petty offences. Many take plea bargains under threat
of excessive, punitive sentences. If I were a young black male, the U.S.
penal system quite likely would not have allowed me to turn myself in to
a federal prison camp.

I’ll be incarcerated in a satellite camp outside a medical facility
where I expect the wards are crowded with geriatric patients. How bleak
and unnecessary it is to confine people for decades. My friend Brian
Terrell, who was incarcerated in Yankton, South Dakota for six months
after crossing the line at Whiteman AFB, told me that while in prison he
saw signs on the walls recruiting prisoners to train for medically
assisting geriatric male prisoners. I shudder to think of our culture’s
pervading callousness, pointlessly consigning so many aged people to
languish in prison.

I will be free in three months, but our collective future is most
assuredly shackled to a wrongheaded criminal justice system. I hope this
compulsively vengeful and diseased criminal justice system will change
during my lifetime. And I hope that my short sojourn inside Lexington’s
prison walls will help me better understand and perhaps help shed some
small light on the systems that affect other people trapped there.

Shane-Franklin-photo-to-accompany-future-in-prison-essay
<http://www.counterpunch.org/wp-content/dropzone/2015/01/Shane-Franklin-photo-to-accompany-future-in-prison-essay.jpg>

/Photo: Shane Franklin./

During recent visits with concerned communities focused on drone
warfare, many have helped me see a connection between the drone killings
across Central Asia and the Middle East and the casual executions and
incarceration of young black males in our own country.

In Afghanistan, where the noise of air strikes and civil war have faded
to the buzz of drones and the silence of empty promises, our friends in
the Afghan Peace Volunteers (APVs) continue their peace building
efforts. Last week, eighty street children walked
<http://ourjourneytosmile.com/blog/2015/01/i-am-your-child-we-want-a-school-afghan-street-kids-walk/>
from the APV center to the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission
office to assert their right to education. Their signs expressed their
determination to help create a school for street children. One sign
said, “We don’t want your charity. We want dignity.”

Our young friends wish to provide a better life for the very children
whose only other ways off the streets may well include joining the
Taliban, criminal gangs, or some other militia. Meanwhile, the United
States’ vengeful stance as a nation, concerned with protecting its
wealth and status at all costs and its safety above all considerations
of equity or reason, destroys the lives of the impoverished at home as
it destroys those abroad.

The “Black Lives Matter <http://blacklivesmatter.com/>” protests need
our support, as do the March 4-6 protests to “Shut Down Creech
<http://shutdowncreech.blogspot.com/2014/12/how-to-endorse-andor-sponsor-shut-down.html>”
Air Force Base. Our friends in the Afghan Peace Volunteers will continue
to do vital work for peace and solidarity, in Kabul, that needs our
support. It’s encouraging to know that thousands upon thousands of
committed people seek and find work to make our world less like a prison
for our neighbors and ourselves.

My address for the next three months is

    Kathy Kelly 04971-045

    FMC LEXINGTON

    FEDERAL MEDICAL CENTER

    SATELLITE CAMP

    P.O. BOX 14525

    LEXINGTON, KY  40512

/*Kathy Kelly* co-coordinates Voices for Creative Nonviolence. For more
information, please contact VCNV at info at vcnv.org <mailto:info at vcnv.org>./