[Pnews] Humanity indicted for our silence in the face of torture

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jan 13 11:58:06 EST 2015

    Humanity indicted for our silence in the face of torture
    <http://sfbayview.com/2015/01/humanity-indicted-for-our-silence-in-the-face-of-torture/>

January 12, 2015
*http://sfbayview.com/2015/01/humanity-indicted-for-our-silence-in-the-face-of-torture/*
<http://sfbayview.com/2015/01/humanity-indicted-for-our-silence-in-the-face-of-torture/#>

*/by Abdul Olugbala Shakur/*

As imprisoned activists we’ve often asked society: What have your eyes
seen to wish to see no more? And what have your ears heard to wish to
hear no more? Your self-imposed silence has only fueled the government’s
thirst for fascist repression, and this repression has manifested on
every level of society, causing humanity to hemorrhage, while debris
from this hemorrhaging stains the dissipating remnants of a
deteriorating society.

People, I don’t intend to be poetic, but it is imperative that this
indictment tap into the depths of your rhythmic soul, with the hope that
we are able to reawaken your true sense of humanity and restore your
hearing and sight, so you can hear our voices and see a society that is
trapped within its own sins!

Some may even find the above paragraphs contextually out of place at
first glance, but it is a prerequisite, necessitated by a society that
for the most part has lost its moral vision as well as its capacity of
humane discernment, compelling us to ponder over the possibility that
our words will fall upon deaf ears. What was once morally reprehensible
is now immorally acceptable and justified under particular situations or
circumstances, thus leaving humanity and justice at the dictate of a
subjective scrutiny.

We can no longer assume that we are speaking to a society that is firmly
rooted in the tenets of an ethical con­stitution, especially when the
evidence of an impaired moral fortitude appears to permeate every level
of social stratification. So our question to ourselves as imprisoned
activists and embedded reporters for the people:

How do we articulate a moral indictment on the subject of torture that
is capable of penetrating the exterior periphery of a post 9/11 culture,
where torture for the most part is no longer considered a crime or an
act against humanity, but rather a tool to extract information –
intelligence – or a weapon designed to censor, persecute, punish and
ideologically subdue the imprisoned activists and embedded reporters? Or
a governmental strategy designed to suppress the poor communities, the
New Afrikan community in particular?

      As imprisoned activists we’ve often asked society: What have your
      eyes seen to wish to see no more? And what have your ears heard to
      wish to hear no more?

Articulating the diabolical anatomy of torture for a post 9/11 society
is no doubt a task that must be diligently executed, for it is too
important an issue to allow subjective sentiments to cause us to neglect
our responsibility as imprisoned activists. We are still obligated to
serve. Even a morally decadent society is deserving of saving – yes,
even if those doing the saving are imprisoned activists!

When we speak about the anatomy of torture, this inherently encompasses
its socio-political, socio-cultural and spiritual ramifications. The
government deliberately omits this aspect of torture, which is the most
pertinent and significant element. But the government also understands
it is this very element that has the potential to ignite societal and
spiritual expostulation, impeding their ability to use torture as a
political tool, both domestically and globally.

Most people, including the so-called experts, tend to perpetuate a
fundamental and erroneous interpretation of torture. People often
perceive physical and psychological torture as two separate entities.
Their hypothesis implies physical torture is exclusively physical, and
psychological torture is exclusively psychological.

Contrary to this popular myth, their practical applications and
execution explicitly imply that both physical and psychological torture
is one and the same, though with two distinguishable components. But in
practice, they are constantly interchanging, morphing into one another,
where the physical becomes the psychological or vice versa!

Psychological torture has a physical characteristic. Those under the
subjugation of psychological torture also experience physical torture –
pain. Psychological torture unquestionably produces an intense stress
that eventually wreaks havoc on the body, turning the body on itself.
Physical torture also possesses a psychological characteristic.

      Psychological torture has a physical characteristic. Those under
      the subjugation of psychological torture also experience physical
      torture – pain.

Before we discuss the subject of torture, let’s first be clear on what
it is. Many people within the poor community look at torture one
dimensionally, not even realizing that they are constantly under the
subjugation of government-sponsored torture.

For example: When the pigs murder an unarmed Black male or murder a
12-year-old Black manchild, this is a form of torture – using
government-sponsored violence as a tool of both psychological and
physical torture. These acts of blatant terrorism are designed to
instill fear into our community. Every time we step outside of our
homes, the threat of government-sponsored violence is always present,
producing stress, which affects our physical health.

Post-9/11 made torture an acceptable evil, not only in the U.S.
government’s so-called war on terrorism, but also the government’s
domestic deployment of torture. Not that this is a new phenomenon, but
its social acceptance among some segments of society is new, and this
radical change unfortunately became the catalyst for the Prison
Industrial Slave Complex (PISC) to rapidly increase its torture program
with impunity!

It is not even a question that both physical and psychological torture
is a constant reality throughout the Prison Industrial Slave Complex;
the issue that presently confronts us is the widespread acceptance of
our torture. Are we not even considering the moral and social
ramifications of a society that has lost its humanity?

And then you wonder how could a police officer murder a 12-year-old
Black manchild? Or a 70-year-old sista? Or a 6-year-old womanchild? The
social acceptance of torture domestically or globally should serve as an
indictment of the absence of our collective sense of humanity – a
society that is slowly dying and doesn’t even know it.

Do you think that God accepts or tolerates our daily torture in his
name? Do you not know that you as a member of this society will one day
have to answer for turning a deaf ear and a blind eye to the cry of
human suffering at the hands of government-SPONSORED TORTURE?

I ask you to pray on this, if you are a true believer, for your humanity
is under indictment. Put your hands up! Your humanity has no right to
remain silent. Speak out against torture!

      Put your hands up! Your humanity has no right to remain silent.
      Speak out against torture!

/Send our brother some love and light: Abdul Olugbala Shakur, s/n J.
Harvey, C-48884, CSP Corcoran SHU 4B-1L-19, P.O. Box 3481, Corcoran CA
93212. After decades in the infamous Pelican Bay Short Corridor, Abdul
has been transferred twice in little more than a month – first to
Tehachapi and recently to Corcoran. He is still in the SHU, in solitary
confinement, which is defined as torture by the United Nations. Abdul
was one of about 45 California prisoners who starved themselves for the
full 60 days of the 2013 statewide hunger strike that involved 30,000
prisoners at its peak, the largest hunger strike in prison history./