[Pnews] Tweet and Facebook Request for Oscar López Rivera's Birthday, Jan 6, 2015

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jan 2 11:10:03 EST 2015

Dear Friends & Compañeros(as):

  As part of increasing public awareness in the US about Oscar López
Rivera’s continued, unjust incarceration, the National Boricua Human
Rights Network would like you to post *#FreeOscarLopez, #Gift4Oscar* and
*#BarackObama *to your personal and organizational Facebook and/or
Twitter accounts on January 6, 2015, Oscar's 72nd Birthday.

  As you know, support for Oscar López Rivera's freedom at all levels --
in Puerto Rican communities in the U.S., in Puerto Rico, and
internationally -- has taken off this past year. Witness the following:

/• Upon hearing the news about the normalization of the relationship
between the US government and Cuba, Carmen Yulín Cruz Soto, the Mayor of
San Juan, expressed her hope that the blockade against Cuba would be
lifted and that Oscar López Rivera would be freed
<http://www.claridadpuertorico.com/content.html?news=B29B4E6EDC45CFCCF6C4573AD92B8D1C>./

/ • From Honduras, Berta Oliva, the renown human rights activist - who
leads COFADEH (the committee of the disappeared in Honduras)- exhorts
freedom for Oscar López Rivera
<http://www.albatv.org/Bertha-Oliva-Lo-queremos-libre.html>./

  • The Puerto Rico Council of Churches, comprised of eight churches,
made a call to its member churches and all men and women of good faith
“so that during the celebration of Advent and Christmas we can be united
during our prayers for the freedom and immediate release of Oscar López
Rivera”;

/ • Local, creative Oscar initiatives are multiplying- like this one
<http://www.primerahora.com/noticias/puerto-rico/nota/oscarlopezriveracaminaporlascallesdelpaisgraciasaproyectodearte-1054142/> where
a life size cut-out of Oscar is placed on a street corner in Old San
Juan, or this one
<http://dissidentvoice.org/2014/12/free-political-prisoner-oscar-lopez-rivera/>where
a famous, progressive printmaker took a quote from Oscar and created his
interpretation as major silkscreen poster or this last one
<http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/12/12/puerto-ricos-subjugation/> a
concise summary of the support that Oscar enjoys./

  As part of this wave of increasing public awareness in the U.S. about
Oscar’s continued unjust incarceration, the National Boricua Human
Rights Network and La Respuesta (a website dedicated to the Puerto Rican
diaspora) are launching the first major initiative of the new year,
"100,000 Tweets for Oscar," to take place on his 72nd birthday, Tuesday,
January 6, 2015. On that day, we would like you to post the same on your
Facebook and Twitter feeds using the hashtags *#FreeOscarLopez,
#Gift4Oscar* and *#BarackObama*.

I am attaching a document containing the tweets (that you can copy and
paste). Also attached are the 2 images, also in Spanish and English.

Again, thank you.

Alejandro Molina
alejandrom at boricuahumanrights.org