[Pnews] Court denies motions from Palestinian activist Rasmea Odeh

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Feb 16 10:21:16 EST 2015

**
*Rasmea Defense Committee*

**

*

*MEDIA ADVISORY*
*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Monday, February 16, 2015 *

** <mailto:hatem85 at yahoo.com>

http://uspcn.org/2015/02/16/court-denies-motions-from-palestinian-activist-rasmea-odeh-supporters-mobilize-for-march-12-sentencing-in-detroit/
*
*

*Court denies motions from Palestinian activist Rasmea Odeh*

/Supporters mobilize for March 12 sentencing in Detroit/

Chicago’s 67-year-old Palestinian community leader, Rasmea Odeh, is set
to appear in a Detroit federal court for sentencing on March 12,
following her conviction
<http://uspcn.org/2014/11/10/without-a-full-and-fair-trial-rasmea-found-guilty/>
on a single charge of Unlawful Procurement of Naturalization. Three days
ago, Judge Gershwin Drain issued an order denying two motions by Odeh’s
defense team. One motion called for a new trial because of a number of
legal errors in the court’s rulings in her November trial; another
called for the judge to set aside the jury’s decision altogether.

“Since both defense motions challenged how Drain conducted the trial, it
came as no surprise when he ruled against Rasmea, and in support of his
own decisions,” said Hatem Abudayyeh of the Rasmea Defense Committee.
“We know that the conviction was a travesty of justice, and that Judge
Drain’s rulings made it impossible for the jury to give Rasmea a fair
shake. She survived brutal torture by the Israelis, but the jury never
got to hear that.”

Odeh’s attorneys are asking Drain to take her age and poor health into
consideration and be lenient in his sentencing, but also plan to appeal
her conviction, so will request the granting of an appeal bond no matter
the sentence, which could be up to 10 years in prison, heavy fines, and
deportation.

Unfazed by this latest ruling, the defense committee is redoubling
efforts to win justice. Communities across the country are organizing
protests, fundraisers, and several events with Rasmea speaking via live
stream. A national week of action mobilized hundreds of supporters, with
further actions planned for the coming week in at least 7 more cities.

“We will not give up in our defense and support of Rasmea as she moves
forward to challenge this unjust conviction. She was prosecuted by the
U.S. government because she is Palestinian, and because for decades, she
has organized for Palestinian liberation and self-determination,” said
Jess Sundin of the Committee to Stop FBI Repression.“We are already
making transportation and housing plans to ensure that we fill Judge
Drain’s court room in Detroit on March 12, and hopefully an overflow
room as well. Hundreds stood with Rasmea during her trial, and we’re
prepared to stand with her again and again until justice is won.”

For more information and background on Rasmea Odeh’s case, go to
http://justice4rasmea.org.

The national Rasmea Defense Committee is led by United States
Palestinian Community Network (USPCN) <http://www.uspcn.org>, Committee
to Stop FBI Repression (CSFR) <http://www.stopfbi.net>, and Coalition to
Protect People’s Rights (CPPR)
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Coalition-to-Protect-Peoples-Rights/409853239029410>;
and includes 8th Day Center for Justice <http://www.8thdaycenter.org/>,
Al-Awda NY: the Palestine Right to Return Coalition
<http://al-awdany.org/>, American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee
(ADC)-Chicago
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/ADC-Chicago/20546435962?sk=info&tab=page_info>,
ADC National <http://www.adc.org>, American Muslims for Palestine (AMP)
<http://www.ampalestine.org>, ANSWER Coalition
<http://answercoalition.org>, Anti-War Committee (AWC)-Chicago
<http://antiwarcommitteechicago.blogspot.com/>, AWC-Minneapolis
<http://antiwarcommittee.org/>, Arab Jewish Partnership for Peace and
Justice in the Middle East <http://www.arabjewishpartnership.org/>, Arab
Resource and Organizing Center <http://www.araborganizing.org>, Chicago
Alliance Against Racist and Political Repression <http://naarpr.org/>,
Chicago Light Brigade <http://www.chicagolightbrigade.org/>, Committee
Against Political Repression <https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoCAPR>,
Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)-Chicago
<http://www.cairchicago.org/>, CAIR-Michigan
<http://www.cairmichigan.org/>, Friends of Sabeel-North America
<http://fosna.org>, International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network
<http://ijsn.net/>, International League of Peoples’ Struggle-U.S.
<http://ilps.info/index.php/en/>, Jewish Voice for Peace (JVP)
<http://jewishvoiceforpeace.org/>, Korean American Resource and Cultural
Center (KRCC) <http://www.chicagokrcc.org/>, Latino Organization of the
Southwest (LOS) <http://latinoorganizationofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/>,
Lifta Society <http://www.liftasociety.org/>, Michigan Emergency
Committee Against War and Injustice (MECAWI) <http://www.mecawi.org/>,
Middle East Crisis Committee (CT)
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Middle-East-Crisis-Committee-MECC/199956110037870>,
Milwaukee Palestine Solidarity Coalition
<https://www.facebook.com/mkepalestine>, National Boricua Human Rights
Network <http://boricuahumanrights.org/>, National Lawyers Guild (NLG)
<http://www.nlg.org/>, National Students for Justice in Palestine
<http://sjpnational.org/>, Palestine Solidarity Group-Chicago