[Pnews] Struggle grows to save Political Prisoner Rev. Edward Pinkney

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Dec 11 12:04:08 EST 2015

**<https://www.facebook.com/events/1700531523513283/>*Emergency
Conference to Save Rev. Edward Pinkney
Saturday – December 12, 2015 – Noon to 5 pm*
*St. Matthew-St. Joseph Episcopal Church
8850 Woodward Ave. (at King St.)
Detroit, Michigan*

*Conference will be live-streamed. Link will be available here and on
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/events/1700531523513283/> on Saturday
at noon.*

Streaming sites:

MECAWI: Emergency Conference to Save Rev. Edward Pinkney
<http://www.mecawi.org/emergency-conference-to-save-rev-edward-pinkney/>

Facebok event: Emergency Conference to Save Rev. Edward Pinkney
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1700531523513283/>

Michigan political prisoner, the Reverend Edward Pinkney, fears for his
life. With phone access denied, he is isolated in the far north
Marquette Branch Prison, 500 miles from his wife, attorney and
supporters. He recently wrote:

    “I was transferred to Marquette Prison, shackled, mistreated, and
    intimidated. I was forced to strip on five different occasions. I am
    forced into overcrowding, inadequate exercise, lack of clean
    clothing, and inadequate medical care.

    “I believe that [they] have put a hit on me, inside the prison
    system. I believe they are trying to force me to die in prison. If I
    do not survive this, you will know the reason why.

    “The blatantly unconstitutional conduct by Judge Sterling Schrock,
    Prosecutor Mike Sepic, Sheriff Bailey, and the all-white jury have
    placed my life in danger.

    “I need you to stand with me against the corrupt, broken system, a
    criminal enterprise operating in Berrien County and across the
    country–a lynch mob in black robes and three-piece suits.”

Rev. Pinkney’s family and supporters agree that his life is in danger.
Racist guards are whipping up hostility among the 80% white prisoners
against Rev. Pinkney. He lacks clean clothes, decent food, adequate
medical care and exercise. Rev. Pinkney turned 67 at the end of October.
We need to come together to put this critical situation before the whole
nation and the entire world.

For more information and to endorse, please call 313-680-5508
<tel:313-680-5508> or email mecawi at mecawi.org <mailto:mecawi at mecawi.org>.

Initial Endorsers: Mrs. Dorothy Pinkney; Michigan Emergency Committee
Against War & Injustice (mecawi.org <http://mecawi.org/>); Observers in
the Court; Pan African News Wire (panafricannews.blogspot.com
<http://panafricannews.blogspot.com>); Detroit Active and Retired
Employees Association (DAREA); Detroit Green Party; Detroit School Board
(in exile); Moratorium NOW! Coalition to Stop Foreclosures
(moratorium-mi.org <http://moratorium-mi.org/>); Workers World Party

For more information regarding Rev. Edward Pinkney, please visit
bhbanco.org <http://bhbanco.org/>

  Struggle grows to save Rev. Edward Pinkney

By David Sole <http://www.workers.org/articles/author/david-sole/>
posted on December 7, 2015
*http://www.workers.org/articles/2015/12/07/struggle-grows-to-save-rev-edward-pinkney/*

Dec. 5 — An African-American political prisoner in Michigan may be
isolated in the far north Marquette Branch Prison in the state’s Upper
Peninsula, but support for this embattled activist is growing daily.

The Rev. Edward Pinkney is starting his second year behind bars after an
outrageous corruption of the legal system took place in a Benton Harbor,
Mich., courtroom. He was sentenced to two-and-a-half to 10 years in
prison because five dates on a mayoral recall petition in 2014 allegedly
appeared to have been altered. No evidence was presented to the
all-white jury linking Rev. Pinkney to those charges. In fact, the
prosecutor told the jury, “You don’t need evidence to convict Pinkney.”
Pinkney’s leadership position in the Black community and progressive
movement in Benton Harbor was all they needed to find him guilty of five
felony counts of forgery.

Rev. Pinkney, even though he has violated no prison rules, has been
denied telephone use for the next six months because of bogus charges by
the racist Marquette guards. On Nov. 20, he was seized by guards after a
visit from a supporter who had flown to Marquette from Detroit. The
reason given was that his visitor had taken notes during their
discussion, as the visitor and others had done many times in the past,
and walked out of the area with the notes. The 67-year-old Pinkney was
thrown into solitary confinement in the super maximum Level 5 section of
the mainly Level 1 prison. He was held there for five days after which
he was returned to Level 1.

*Retaliation and burgeoning support*

Rev. Pinkney has informed his supporters that the bogus charge of
“smuggling” was so ridiculous that even the biased prison system had to
dismiss it. Many believe the real motive for curtailing Rev. Pinkney’s
visits and contact with the outside was the widespread coverage of a
press conference about his case shown on TV-6 (an NBC affiliate) and
TV-10 (ABC) in Marquette, which infuriated prison officials.

Pinkney had written his supporters: “I was transferred to Marquette
Prison, shackled, mistreated and intimidated. I was forced to strip on
five different occasions. I am forced into overcrowding, inadequate
exercise, lack of clean clothing, and inadequate medical care. I believe
that [they] have put a hit on me, inside the prison system. I believe
they are trying to force me to die in prison. If I do not survive this,
you will know the reason why.”

Media around the United States have started to take note of this
miscarriage of justice. Radio stations in California and Wisconsin have
interviewed leaders of the “Free Rev. Pinkney” movement.

Support has been building for the Emergency Conference to Save Rev.
Pinkney in Detroit on Dec. 12. Among the scheduled speakers are Dorothy
Pinkney, Rev. Pinkney’s spouse, and two of the lawyers working on his
appeal. Participants are coming from across Michigan as well as other
regions of the country. Workers World Party’s vice presidential
candidate, Lamont Lilly, will be attending the conference.

Pinkney supporters turned out on Detroit’s “Noel Night” on Dec. 5, when
main streets around the University District and Art Institute were
closed and thousands of people thronged to visit booths and join in
holiday caroling. Standing in front of the Detroit Institute of Arts,
activists unfurled a Free Rev. Pinkney banner and held up signs, spoke
over a powerful sound system and distributed hundreds of informational
leaflets to passersby, who showed a great deal of interest in the case.

Social media outreach has drawn support from France, where activists
contacted organizers of the Emergency Conference to ask how they can
help. An international campaign has already been launched to get
supporters to 1) send a holiday greeting card to Rev. Edward Pinkney
#294671, Marquette Branch Prison NE-93, 1960 U.S. Hwy. 41 South,
Marquette, MI 49855; 2) call Gov. Rick Snyder at 517-373-3400 and
Legislative Corrections Ombudsman Keith Barber at 517-373-8573 to demand
they investigate the inhumane treatment of Rev. Pinkney; and 3)
contribute to Rev. Pinkney’s legal defense at bhbanco.org
<http://bhbanco.org/>using the PayPal button or mailing a check to
BANCO, c/o Dorothy Pinkney, 1940 Union St., Benton Harbor, MI 49022.

The Conference to Save Rev. Edward Pinkney will be held in Detroit on
Saturday, Dec. 12, 12 noon to 5 p.m., at St. Matthew-St. Joseph
Episcopal Church, 8850 Woodward Ave. (at King Street).