[Pnews] Detainees Enter 8th Day of Hunger Strike, ICE Continues Retaliation

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Dec 4 11:29:29 EST 2015

December 4, 2015
*http://www.notonemoredeportation.com/2015/12/04/freedomgiving-candidates/*

*As Detainees Enter 8th Day of #Freedomgiving Hunger Strike, Protests
Prompt Candidate Response, ICE Continues Retaliation *

/O’Malley Calls for End to Detention, Sanders Issues Support, //Clinton
Pivots to Beltway Talking Points/

/“Generic pledges of future positions are inadequate when there are
people in detention literally starving to be free right now.” – Fahd
Ahmed, Desis Rising Up and Moving (DRUM)/

Citing that leading Democratic candidates have made promises of reform
in the future, #Freedomgiving hunger strike
<http://www.notonemoredeportation.com/free-the-hunger-striking-detainees/>supporters
rallied at Hillary Clinton’s office yesterday demanding that she and the
other candidates speak out on the current crisis in detention.

Before the rally, *Fahd Ahmed*, executive director of Desis Rising Up
and Moving explained, “People seeking safety in the US who instead find
themselves locked behind bars have refused their meals for the past
week. The fact that they have not been released after as much as two
years in detention is a failure of the immigration system. If the
candidates don’t speak out on their behalf we are also witnessing a
failure of humanity. Bernie Sanders started a petition for refugees
coming to the US but what about the ones already in detention here?”

*The Sanders campaign was the first to respond, issuing **a statement*
<https://berniesanders.com/press-release/sanders-campaign-statement-on-hunger-strike-spreading-across-immigration-detention-centers/>*of
support while protesters were still picketing *saying, “…These aspiring
Americans should not be criminalized, subjected to dehumanizing solitary
confinement or indefinitely detained. The United States must meet our
international responsibilities to families seeking refuge…”

**

*O’Malley’s representative went further*
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-immigrant-hunger-strike_56609260e4b08e945fee7e3e>*,
telling the Huffington Post, “We have to end immigrant detention,
period.*This is a symptom of the larger problem, which is that we are
inhumanely detaining, without due process, thousands of immigrants that
should not be in those conditions.”

*However, while a representative from the Clinton campaign greeted the
protesters on the street, the campaign **dodged supporting the strikers’
directly or addressing the current crisis they are blowing the whistle
on*
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-immigrant-hunger-strike_56609260e4b08e945fee7e3e>
stating, “We listened to their stories, and are inspired by the
important role that activism plays to implement change on behalf of
immigrant families. Hillary Clinton believes our immigration enforcement
and detention system must be humane, and ensure the dignity, safety, and
well-being of every human being.”

“We weren’t asking Clinton about her beliefs, we were asking if we
should believe the sincerity of her support for the immigrant
community,” responded *Marisa Franco*, director of the #Not1More
Campaign supporting the strike. “The hunger strike is a test of this
country’s character, a test of the immigration system’s fairness, and it
is a test of the candidates actual commitment to our issues.”

*The Candidates’ statements came amongst rising concerns for hunger
strikers well-being as they enter day 8 of the #freedomgiving hunger
strikes that have grown to seven facilities and more than 150
asylum-seekers from Africa and South Asia refusing meals*. Despite ICE’s
public statements expressing concern for their safety, in both Theo Lacy
in Orange County, CA and Etoway in Alabama, strikers have reported
participants being placed in solitary confinement as punishment for
their whistleblowing activity. In Etowah, participants report disturbing
medical abuse including the forced catheterization of one man.

Protesters held signs outside Clinton’s office that read “Freedom is
more important than food,” and “We’re prepared to die here just not in
Bangladesh.”

*Fahd Ahmed*, director of DRUM – Desis Rising Up and Moving added, “The
hunger strikers show that current immigration policy is cruel and
unusual punishment that no one should be subjected to. People seeking
safety should not be subjected to the dangerous neglect and intentional
abuse they’re experiencing in detention.”

Reported Hunger Strike Participants Include:

Etowah (AL) – 40 detainees

Theo Lacy (CA) – 36 detainees

Otay (CA)  – 18 detainees

Adelanto (CA) – 8 detainees