[Pnews] 250 Palestinian political prisoners held in administrative detention will launch open hunger strike - issue demands

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Aug 20 11:00:53 EDT 2015

*http://samidoun.net/2015/08/250-palestinian-prisoners-held-in-administrative-detention-state-they-will-launch-open-hunger-strike/*

  250 Palestinian prisoners held in administrative detention state they
  will launch open hunger strike

samidoun - August 20, 2015

250 Palestinian prisoners held under administrative detention in the
“Negev” prison in the Naqab desert in the south of Palestine announced
they will launch an open-ended hunger strike to defeat administrative
detention. The statement, released on 18 August, also expressed support
for their fellow administrative detainee, Muhammad Allan
<http://samidoun.net/2015/08/breaking-news-reports-state-muhammad-allan-has-ended-his-strike-after-decision-of-the-israeli-supreme-court/>,
31, who just ended his 65-day hunger strike last night, 19 August, after
a decision by the Israeli supreme court and severe damage to his health
including brain damage; Allan is now again in a coma
<http://samidoun.net/2015/08/reports-state-palestinian-hunger-striker-muhammad-allan-again-in-a-coma-on-respirator/>.

250 of the nearly 400 Palestinian administrative detainees are held in
the Negev prison, among 1500 Palestinian political prisoners. Much of
the Negev prison is constructed in tents, and Palestinian prisoners are
suffering in a heat wave, with blazing sun and little protection from
the elements.

Nidal Abu Aker
<http://samidoun.net/2015/01/nidal-abu-aker-among-36-palestinians-issued-administrative-detention-orders-67-so-far-in-january/>,
49, a leader of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine from
Dheisheh refugee camp near Bethlehem, is one of the leaders of the
administrative detainees’ initiative, according to Ma’an News. The host
of “In their cells,” a program about Palestinian prisoners that airs on
Sawt al-Wihda radio station – the only radio station to broadcast from
Dheisheh camp – he has spent 12 years in Israeli prisons, 9 years in
administrative detention without charge or trial. He was most recently
arrested in June 2014 and his administrative detention has been renewed
four times, most recently in May.

*Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network salutes these brave
prisoners, who are putting their bodies and lives on the line to
confront the occupier and its continual assaults on Palestinian lives.
We demand their immediate release, the end of administrative detention –
and the liberation of all of the nearly 6,000 Palestinian political
prisoners. We pledge to act to build solidarity with their struggle, and
urge all around the world to organize protests, actions and events to
demand the release of Palestinian political prisoners and an end to
administrative detention.*

The statement of the 250 administrative detainees follows:

*The Battle of Breaking the Chains*

To the masses of our great people, the heroes of revolution, the fiery
fuel of confrontation of the Zionist occupation and the fascist
colonists, to our youth, our mothers and sisters; our struggle does not
relent because of your sacrifices. We greet you for Palestine.

Today we face the escalating Zionist attacks against our people in
general and against the rights of our Palestinian prisoners in Israeli
jails, and massive harassment, frenzied campaigns of inspections and
raids and the denial of the most basic rights of living that provide a
minimum of human dignity. We face the continuation of the Palestinian
division and its impact on the reality of our national movement in the
prisons of the occupier. And we face the persistence of the occupier in
enacting new fascist and racist laws, such as the law of death and the
law of force-feeding which was recently passed, and the growing use of
administrative detention. It represents a clear and explicit violation
of all international conventions and human rights principles, where we
are arrested for extended periods, for years continuously, at the mercy
of a so-called “secret file,” where we have no right to defend
ourselves. Administrative detention is a sword hanging over our necks,
that eats away our flesh and blood and years of our lives without trial
and without mercy.

It is used relentlessly by the enemy intelligence service and by the
military courts. There have been more than 480 administrative detention
orders issued, the number of administrative detainees rising to a height
of 650 since just last summer. Most administrative detainees have their
detention orders renewed more than once. Some have spent more than five
years and others ten years in administrative detention over repeated
arrests. In light of this detention, we consider ourselves to be in a
continuing struggle of confrontation with the occupier.

Therefore, we have made our first step in confronting this form of
arrest: boycotting the occupation courts issuing administrative
detention orders, fully and finally, to reveal and expose the occupation
before our people, our Arab nation and international public opinion,
where the occupier attempts to legitimize its detention of us.

Through dialogue and discussion between all administrative detainees of
all political forces, with the commitment of 80 detainees we began to
act from the date of 1 July 2015, where we boycotted the Zionist
military courts and refused to appear because they are am illegitimate
sham. We were denied the right to access our lawyers, denying us the
right to a defense and representation.

We view this as a step that advances the prisoners’ movement in
confronting administrative detention, to stand up and play our national
role in confronting the arbitrary administrative detention. Some
administrative detainees have undertaken individual hunger strikes in
protest of administrative detention in general and their personal
detention, as is their right. Despite this, we view the collective
action on a national level is more capable of creating real results to
break the policy of administrative detention. However, the endangered
life of Mohammad Allan since two months has confronted the occupation
and its tools, and is threatened with the implementation of a decision
of force-feeding. We resolve to fight against the occupation and its
intelligence apparatus in the battle of empty stomachs, in order to
achieve the following demands:

1. The end of the administrative detention policy against our people and
their strugglers.
2. The support to the struggler Muhammad Allan; we will not leave him
alone in the battle. We refuse any decision that does not provide his
freedom, and we refuse any decision to deport him, which is another
violation of human rights.
3. Bringing down the law of force-feeding against activists on hunger
strike, as it represents a decision for their death and a flagrant
violation of international human rights principles.
4. Our immediate freedom and unconditional release, as a contribution to
the demolition of the policy of administrative detention.
5. To break the deadlock and internal division, and to unify the
Palestinian forces for joint national action inside the prisons,
culminating in true national unity.

To the struggling masses of our people, we face a complex reality that
already sees a number of striking prisoners threatened with death at the
hands of the prison administration and intelligence services. We cannot
stand idly by and observe from afar, our will and action is united with
the popular and national movement and support from the Palestinian
street. We emphasize that we are with you and without your support, we
cannot achieve our demands. Without you, Palestine will not enjoy its
freedom, independence and the return of her children.

You and your will are great, and your participation will bring victories
and the rights of our people. You are with us as we are fighting our
battle in confronting the occupation, and we are inevitably victorious.