[Pnews] Why is Rev. Edward Pinkney in Prison? Another Case of Political Persecution

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Aug 13 17:21:52 EDT 2015

*http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/08/13/why-is-rev-edward-pinkney-in-prison-another-case-of-political-persecution/*

  Why is Rev. Edward Pinkney in Prison? Another Case of Political
  Persecution

by Jackie Miller <http://www.counterpunch.org/author/jacmil1197/>
<http://www.counterpunch.org/author/jacmil1197/>August 13, 2015

Why is Rev. Edward Pinkney in prison?

One answer comes to mind from my very first meeting with Pinkney in
2003. I drove from Lansing to Benton Harbor in southwest Michigan to
witness a Berrien County Commissioners meeting soon after the Benton
Harbor uprising. At that eye-opening introduction, white commissioners
literally laughed at Black community members’ desperate appeals for
justice for their young Black men, incarcerated or killed with impunity
at a sickening rate. From this vignette straight out of the Jim Crow
South, I left 90% white St. Joseph and crossed the bridge to Benton
Harbor where well over 90% of the residents are Black and nearly half
live in poverty according to census data <http://census.gov/>.

Standing outside City Hall, Pinkney said to me, “You know, they offered
me a Cadillac. I said, no, thank you.” The power elite in the county
tried to buy him off to shut him up. It didn’t work. This is one reason
he sits in Lakeland state prison today.

He did not shut up then, and he has not shut up ever since. From prison,
he puts pen to paper and writes pages <http://bhbanco.org> of
condemnation of the corrupt, racist corporate-political-media
establishment destroying his home community, the same one forcing him to
eat prison food unfit for humans.

For years, he’s been preaching that this monstrous conglomeration of
business interests and state authority is of a piece. Recently Pinkney
wrote
<http://peoplestribune.org/pt-news/2015/07/build-a-society-where-the-people-not-corporations-make-the-decisions/>
from prison:

    The vicious, cowardly attack on democracy in Benton Harbor,
    Michigan, shows that the corporate power structure is determined to
    crush anyone that stands in its way. The Whirlpool Corporation and
    government joined together to destroy the people of Benton Harbor.
    We call it fascism. It is part of the process underway across
    America in various forms. The once stable working class of Benton
    Harbor was devastated by automation and globalization and the
    community began to resist. They have to contain the struggle.

Benton Harbor: the first city in Michigan subjected to the fascist rule
of a state-appointed Emergency Financial Manager. What’s at stake?
Whirlpool Corp., which raked in $177 million in profits last quarter
<http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/whirlpool-corporation-reports-second-quarter-2015-results-and-reaffirms-full-year-2015-ongoing-guidance-300116744.html>
(after expanding into Italy
<http://tarpley.net/judge-ferdinando-imposimato-first-signatory-to-support-italian-metal-workers-and-rev-pinkney/>
where it proceeded to lay off workers), wants to transform
economically-devastated Benton Harbor into a private lakeshore
playground for the wealthy. The vulture capitalists already succeeded in
stealing part of a Benton Harbor public park for a Jack Nicklaus
signature golf course next to a luxury condo development called Harbor
Shores <http://www.workers.org/2012/us/occupy_pga_0607>. We can expect
to see more theft of land and resources from immiserated communities
elsewhere, as Whirlpool shows how easy it is to get full cooperation
from state and local governments, despite opposition from the people.

Roger Bybee wrote
<http://inthesetimes.com/working/entry/7237/democracy_vs._profit_central_issue_in_benton_harbor_takeover>,
“There is no place in the United States that more cruelly illustrates
the intensifying conflict between corporate power and democracy than
Benton Harbor.” Pinkney saw it coming. For at least ten years, he’s
warned that Benton Harbor is “the testing ground to see what they can
get away with.” What comes to Benton Harbor is coming to your
neighborhood soon. And what’s coming he named fascism and genocide,
specifically Black genocide by means of globalization, gentrification,
neglect, New Jim Crow injustice, and naked violence.

Michigan civil rights attorney Hugh “Buck” Davis described it like this:

    In the 1960s, it was called Negro removal. In Bosnia, it was called
    ethnic cleansing. It could be called genocide, the removal of the
    minority population for the purpose of redevelopment of the land.
    That’s what’s happening in Benton Harbor and leading the resistance
    is Rev. Edward Pinkney.

Any one of the battles Pinkney’s fought against this establishment would
be cause for the wealthy to celebrate his imprisonment. (Indeed, at a
county Republican meeting
<http://www.bhbanco.org/2014/12/county-republican-embarrassed-by-party.html>
the county clerk and sheriff both received a standing ovation when they
announced Pinkney’s conviction). He’s more than a thorn in their side;
he’s a bulldog with a grip on their heel, not about to let go if it
kills him. He remains indomitable, unbreakable. What spirit, what love
moves a person to this kind of courage?

The same spirit, the same love that moves him now to spend his time in
the prison library helping other prisoners with appeals and parole
hearings. When he called me last week his most urgent request was not on
his own behalf—he asked me to research felony penalty minimums and
maximums in five states and mail it to him as soon as possible. During
his last prison term in 2008, overturned on appeal after a year of
illegal imprisonment, he wasted no time organizing for basic needs, soap
and toothpaste, for his fellow prisoners.

Why is Rev. Pinkney in prison? Too many reasons to count. The timeline
below hits some highlights, but still doesn’t paint a full picture of
what he does that makes his resistance and leadership so dangerous to
the master planners of the establishment.

For over a decade, he spent nearly every day that Berrien County court
was in session court-watching, taking notes, and helping defendants
understand their rights. Each week for years he led a group of community
activists from Benton Harbor to march on the courthouse in St. Joseph
wearing the famous “Berrien County’s Most Wanted” T-shirts, listing the
most corrupt and racist judges and other county officials.

After testifying at the trial, Marquette Coates
<http://peoplestribune.org/pt-news/2014/11/significance-rev-edward-pinkney-trial/>