[Pnews] Hugo Pinell - Rest in Power! Corrected

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Aug 13 16:10:08 EDT 2015

We are saddened by the news of Hugo Pinell's death. Hugo Pinell always
expressed a strong spirit of resistance. He worked tirelessly as an
educator and activist to build racial solidarity inside of California’s
prison system.

Incarcerated in 1965, like so many others, Hugo became politicized
inside the California prison system.

In addition to exploring his Nicaraguan heritage, Hugo was influenced by
civil rights activists and thinkers such as Malcolm X, Martin Luther
King as well as his comrades inside including George Jackson. His
leadership in combating the virulent racism of the prison guards and
officials made him a prime target for retribution and Hugo soon found
himself confined in the San Quentin Adjustment Center.

While at San Quentin, Hugo and five other politically conscious
prisoners were charged with participating in an August 21, 1971
rebellion and alleged escape attempt, which resulted in the
assassination of George Jackson by prison guards. Hugo Pinell, Willie
Tate, Johnny Larry Spain, David Johnson, Fleeta Drumgo and Luis
Talamantez became known as the San Quentin Six. Their subsequent
16-month trial was the longest in the state's history at the time. The
San Quentin Six became a global symbol of unyielding resistance against
the prison system and its violent, racist design.

As the California Prisons began to lock people up in long-term isolation
and control unit facilities, Hugo was placed inside of the SHU (Secure
Housing Unit) in prisons including Tehachapi, Corcoran and Pelican Bay.
There, despite being locked in a cell for 23 hours a day, he continued
to work for racial unity and an end to the torturous conditions and
racially and politically motivated placement of people into the SHU.
This work included his participation in the California Prison Hunger
Strikes as well as supporting the Agreement to End Racial Hostilities in
2011.

At the time of his death, Hugo had been locked behind bars for 50 years
yet his spirit was unbroken.

*************************
*We are currently working on an audio piece based on one of the last
recordings done with Hugo. We will include materials from the San
Quentin 3 - David Johnson, Luis Talamantez and Sundiata Tate.*

We would like to share this brief poem by Luis 'Bato' Talamantez:

Hasta Siempre Hugo

Solidarity forever

And we are saddened

Solidarity left

You when (it) should have

Counted for something and

What your long imprisoned

Life stood for

Now all your struggles

To be free have failed

And only death a

Inglorious and violent

Death has

Claimed you

At the hands of the

Cruel prison system

La Luta Continua

-Bato and the San Quentin 3

	and a short poem written by Hugo Pinell from a publication issued in 1995.

No

Matter

How long it takes,

Real Changes will come,

And the greatest personal reward

Lies in our involvement and contributions,

Even if it may appear that nothing significant

Or of impact really happened

During our times,

But it did,

Because

Every sincere effort

Is as special as every human life

-Hugo Pinell (1995)

Here is a link to the Freedom Archives San Quentin 6 collection (note
there are 19 non-digitized items as well as those that are already
digitized)
http://search.freedomarchives.org/search.php?view_collection=284