[Pnews] Unconstitutional State Legislation Targets Mumia's ability to Speak - Vote to happen this week

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Oct 14 11:50:37 EDT 2014

*Unconstitutional State Legislation Targets Mumia's ability to Speak!
Vote to happen this week!*
ICFFMAJ/Prison Radio/Campaign to Bring Mumia Home/HRC/ and Decarcerate
PA are seeking your support.

The Pennsylvania Senate will vote this week on House bill HB2533 and
Senate bill SB508. The Governor has pledged to sign it..***This bill
will make it illegal for prisoners to speak publicly AND allow the AG or
DA to sue prisoners and the folks that assist them.* This legislation
was fast tracked in direct response to the positive support Mumia
received for his Goddard College commencement speech.
Audio Judiciary Committee PA House hearing
Fast Track Hearing PA State Judiciary Hearing 10-6-14
<http://t.ymlp300.net/jsyjavauwsusaoaeseakaqbj/click.php>
Video link Press Conference 10-6-14 announcing the Bill and attended by
Gov. Corbett, and Philadephia DA Seth Williams.
Press Conference PA House HR2533 & SB 508
<http://t.ymlp300.net/jsybarauwsusakaesearaqbj/click.php>

This legislation was created to silence political prisoners like Mumia
Abu Jamal, Kerry Shakaboona Marshall, Bryant Arroyo and  Russell Shoatz
whose can be heard around the world, in spite of their physical
captivity. Consider how much their voices have contributed to our
intellectual heritage and collective growth. Consider all that we have
learned about prison conditions and prisoner rights violations from
those imprisoned.
*Take action TUESDAY OCTOBER 14* by calling Pennsylvania lawmakers to
tell them that prisoners should not be denied the right to speak.
Senate Majority Whip Pat Browne (717) 787-1349
Senate Minority Whip Anthony Williams (717) 787-5970
Senate Majority Leader Dominic Pileggi (717) 787-4712
Senate Minority Leader Jay Costa (717) 787-7683

Please call your legislators and demand that they vote NO on HB2533 and
SB508. You can look up contact information at
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/findyourlegislator/. Suggested
script:
My name is ______________ and I am calling to ask you to stop HB2533 and
SB508 from going forward.  These punitive measures represent a dangerous
attempt to silence not only Mumia Abu-Jamal but all prisoners speaking
on their cases and those speaking on their behalf and against mass
incarceration.  These bills are a clear violation of the First
Amendment.  The state has no right to silence the speech of those it
disagrees with or to restrict the right of the public to hear them.
  Please vote no on these bills.

*GET ON THE BUS Wed Oct. 15th*
This repressive legislation could set far-reaching precedents severely
limiting freedom of speech and our collective ability to take on the
state. We need supporters go to Harrisburg to show physical support and
accompany members of the MOVE family as they meet with legislators. If
you can attend and/ or volunteer as a driver, please respond to this
email or call 267-259-1740. With enough support, we will rent vans from
Philadelphia and NY .Tentative Philadelphia departture 7:30am.
Pennsylvania legislators are trying to stop prisoners from speaking
about their ideas and experiences. Last week, PA Representative Mike
Vereb introduced a bill (HB2533) & SB508 called the "Revictimization
Relief Act," which would allow victims, District Attorneys, and the
Attorney General to sue people who have been convicted of "personal
injury" crimes for speaking out publicly if it causes the victim of the
crime "mental anguish."
The bill was written in response to political prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal's
commencement speech at Goddard College, and is a clear attempt to
silence Mumia and other prisoners and formerly incarcerated people. We
believe that this legislation is not actually an attempt to help
victims, but a cynical move by legislators to stop people in prison from
speaking out against an unjust system.
While to us this seems like a clear violation of the first amendment,
unfortunately the PA General Assembly doesn't appear to agree, and they
have fast-tracked the bill for approval and amended another bill (SB508)
to include the same language. The legislation could be voted on as early
as Wednesday.
If this bill passes, it will be a huge blow to the movement against mass
incarceration. People inside prisons play a leading role in these
struggles, and their perspectives, analysis, and strategies are
essential to our work. Incarcerated and formerly incarcerated people who
write books, contribute to newspapers, or even write for our Voices from
the Inside section would run the risk of legal consequences just for
sharing their ideas.