[Pnews] US words on Gitmo torture ‘laughable’ without release of force feeding tapes

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Nov 13 11:26:35 EST 2014

Reprieve +44 (0) 207 553 8161  For immediate release: Thurs Nov 13, 2014

*US words on Gitmo torture ‘laughable’ without release of force feeding
tapes*

The US has announced that it will this week tell the United Nations that
it now considers a ban against torture to apply to US prisoners held
overseas – including those 148 men held without charge or trial at
Guantanamo Bay. The US had previously only considered the U.N.
Convention Against Torture to apply within US borders.

A US Federal Judge recently ordered the US government to release to the
public video tapes of a hunger striking detainee being force-fed and
manhandled, a decision the Obama administration is expected to appeal.

*Commenting, Reprieve staff attorney Alka Pradhan*, said:

“For the US to say it has ‘banned’ torture at Guantanamo is laughable,
given the ongoing abuse at the prison. The rules at GTMO are actually
written precisely to allow such abuse, and the video footage of force
feedings is incredibly disturbing. Our clients, on hunger strike in
peaceful protest at their indefinite detention without charge, are
regularly hauled to what they call the ‘torture chair’, and force-fed in
such a painful, punitive manner that even some camp personnel refuse to
be involved. But don’t take my word for it – US medical experts and the
World Medical Association have also condemned these abuses. The US needs
to uphold its supposed ‘torture ban’ and stop punishing the detainees
for their rightful protest – while the tapes I have seen should be
released to the public without delay.”

ENDS

1. For further information, please contact Reprieve's Press Office on
(00 44) 207 553 8161 / clemency.wells at reprieve.org.uk
<mailto:clemency.wells at reprieve.org.uk>