[Pnews] Rasmea Odeh not pleading guilty

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu May 22 11:06:03 EDT 2014

  Rasmea Odeh not pleading guilty

Release from the Rasmea Defense Committee:

Rasmea Defense Committee

For Immediate Release

Contact: Hatem Abudayyeh
773.301.4108 <tel:773.301.4108>
hatem at aaan.org <mailto:hatem at aaan.org>

Contrary to erroneous press reports, Rasmea Odeh is not pleading
guilty.  Today in the U.S.District Court in Detroit, MI, she requested a
change of counsel and reported to Judge Paul Borman that she is going to
trial.

She has committed no crime and the government has no case.  She has been
in this country for 20 years, a citizen for 10 of them, and an
upstanding one at that.  One who supports the empowerment of immigrant
women through leadership development programming she leads in Chicago.
One who works closely with Black, Latino, Asian, white, and other
communities in Chicago, to promote multi culturalism and racial and
social justice.  One who is supported so broadly by colleagues in
Chicago that she was awarded an Outstanding Community Leader award by
the Chicago Cultural Alliance in 2013.

The charge brought against her is just a pretext for the continuation of
federal law enforcement repression against Palestinians, Arabs, and
Muslims in this country.  This policy attempts to scapegoat and
intimidate our community into staying silent and not raising its voice
against injustice.

But that will not happen.  Hundreds of people are being mobilized as I
speak to travel to Detroit to fill the courtroom during Rasmea's trial
and provide support.  We will be here every day, showing the world that
she will not be alone.

There has already been a massive outpouring of love and support for
Rasmea across the U.S. and the world, because people see this
prosecution for what it is, a political attack on a 66 year old
Palestinian woman who has dedicated her life to progress and social
justice for her people and all people.  We will stand with her to fight
these charges.