[Pnews] Palestinian Prisoner Hunger Strike Suspended

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jun 25 11:13:31 EDT 2014

  Hunger Strike Suspended

author Wednesday June 25, 2014 11:18author by Saed Bannoura
*http://www.imemc.org/article/68227*

    [Wednesday, June 25 2014] The Palestinian "Prisoners Center for
    Studies" has reported that hunger striking Palestinian detainees,
    held by Israel under arbitrary Administrative Detention orders,
    announced suspending their strike after reaching an agreement with
    the Israeli security officials, and Prison Administration officials.

In a statement, the detainees said that, as the Israeli aggression
escalates against the Palestinian people, and in an attempt to give the
families of the detainees some relief, following 63 days of hunger
strike carried out by their detained family members, a decision was made
to suspend the strike.

"To grant our families some relief, especially before the holy month of
Ramadan starts, and following 63 days of ongoing hunger strike, we have
decided to suspend our strike", the statement reads, "We held meetings
with Israeli officials, and will release details of the agreement after
all hospitalized hunger strikers are discharged".

On his part, former political prisoner and the head of the Detainees
Center for Studies, Ra'fat Hamdouna, stated that the talks between the
representatives of the detainees and the Israeli officials lasted until
dawn hours.

He said the suspension of the strike is based on an agreement obliging
Israel to stop the endless renewals of Administrative Detention orders,
without charges or trial.
Hamdouna added that the agreement includes, but not limited to, the
following points:

1. Israel to stop the ongoing and open-ended renewals of Administrative
Detention orders.

2. Renewals of such orders should not exceed one year.

3. Any renewal after that should be based on official charges, filed
against the detainees, not the usual "secret files" that the neither the
detainees, nor their lawyers have access to.

Lawyer Ashraf Abu Sneina, and the following detainees - representatives
of the detainees committee; signed the statement;

Abdul-Jaber <http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ih/9786134394758>Foqaha,
Mahmoud Shabana, Sufian al-Wahadeen, Fadi Hamad, Fadi Amro, Ashraf
Asfour, Daoud Hamdan, Abdul-Razeq Farraj, and Salem Dardasawy. Signed on
June 25, 2014.