[Pnews] Albert Woodfox update - All eyes are on the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jun 19 11:38:49 EDT 2014

*http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?ca=c3ffe4a3-2393-49ba-b5ce-470c9f319378&c=ddd0f320-356e-11e3-9e24-d4ae52754dbc&ch=de9861d0-356e-11e3-9eba-d4ae52754dbc*

*All eyes are on the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals as we move into summer.*

Most urgently of course, we wake up every day hopeful that the court
will choose to affirm Judge Brady's ruling that overturned Albert's
conviction for a third time. Although there is no way to know when they
will rule, the average decision wait time is 10 months, so we expect
word soon, and certainly by early fall.

Meanwhile, the landmark A3 civil case seeking to define long term
solitary confinement as cruel and unusual punishment carries on through
Robert and Albert since Herman's passing. Final preparation and definite
trial dates for the civil case remain frozen pending resolution of two
appeals the State has filed with the 5th Circuit contesting two of Judge
Brady's recent decisions in A3's favor.

The first appeal seeks to reverse Federal District Court Judge Brady's
ruling that prison officials are not eligible for "qualified immunity,"
a status which would shield them from having to pay damages if they lose
the case. The second appeal seeks to reinstitute the invasive, inhumane
strip searches Albert endured until Judge Brady ruled them
unconstitutional and unnecessary this past January.

Once both appeal rulings are decided, the dates for the trial will be
set, taking into consideration how much preparation time each side still
needs (at least a few more months), and when the court is able to
reschedule. We will keep everyone updated on all fronts as things develop.

you can write:

*Albert Woodfox #72148 *

*David Wade Correctional Center *
*670 Bell Hill Road *