[Pnews] Conspiratorial Posture By The District Attorney 's Office Aimed At Move

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jul 31 12:27:42 EDT 2014

      Conspiratorial Posture By The District Attorney 's Office Aimed At
      Move
      <http://move9parole.blogspot.com/2014/07/conspiratorial-posture-by-district.html>

http://move9parole.blogspot.com/
July 28, 2014

History

The MOVE ORGANIZATION  surfaced in the early 1970's, we initiated
hundreds of peaceful demonstrations against institutions that exploit ,
abuse,and murder children, The elderly, animals, and the environment .
We brought out in the open the abusive state owned and privately run
homes for orphaned/problem children, and the infirm elderly , we
protested animal experimental laboratories ,big industrial corporations
that poison the air, water,and soil daily. We went into each  situation
equipped with our belief  THE TEACHING OF JOHN AFRICA  to right the
wrong that was being done, which no one could refute. The people running
these institutions would call the cops on us and they would
automatically take sides with these institutions and physically assault
MOVE People.
They would lock us up , beat us up and put all kinds of trumped up
charges on us to keep us in jail.This is  how MOVE first got involved
with the police and court system. MOVE  spoke out against the abuse,
successfully bringing attention on police brutality in Philadelphia .
The police began a concerted campaign of harassment and abuse against
MOVE . This is when the conspiracy against MOVE started . Between
1973-1977 , MOVE people were arrested and beaten hundreds of times ,MOVE
  women were beaten into miscarriages , five of our babies were murdered .

1974- District Attorney  Emmet Fitzpatrick refused to accept our
complaints filed by MOVE concerning the assault and abuse by police
officers, he said the charges were unfounded and invalid.
This made it necessary for MOVE to take a serious protective stand to
defend ourselves against any further bloody beatings,miscarriages ,or
murdered babies by the hands of the cops.

May 20th 1977 -Move initiated a demonstration on the platform we built
in front of our house , and told officials over a loud speaker , that
there will be no more sneak attacks , no more babies murdered , by cops,
no more unjust imprisonment by prosecutors and judges and no more Move
men, women, and children brutalized  from now on if there was any
beating murdering injustice done to Move be prepared to do it out in the
open , in full sight of  the public for the whole world to see. We took
the posture of  self defense . The police department did not try to
attack us or come in our home to arrest us the way they always did
before  when they saw we were defenseless. From that day on , our house
was surrounded and kept under a close 24 hour surveillance so we
couldn't leave the house without being arrested on trumped up charges.

May 20th 1977- police commissioner , Joseph o'Neil stated publicly that
it is not a crime for Move to have weapons on our own property .

May 24th 1977-  Commissioner O'Neil contradicted his self by getting
judge Lynn Abraham to issue arrest warrants for Move Members on weapons
charges.

November 1977 - District Attorney  Ed Rendell failed to prosecute Move
within the 180 day time limit  of the warrants being issued on May 24th
,also failed to file a timely request for  the extension of rule 1100 .
According to legal law , The District was  supposed to lose the
authority  to prosecute the defendent in violation of rule 1100.

November 21st 1977- Assistant District Attorney Wilhelm Knauer and John
Straub,filed for an extension of rule 1100 that had expired on November
12th ,1977. The request should have been meaningless yet it was accepted
by the legal system and later ruled on by Judge Edward Blake in
February of 1978.  Judge Blake gave The District Attorney until 90 days
after the actual arrest  of Move People to begin prosecution , this
legal contradiction is compounded by Judge Blake because he accepted
  The District Attorney's untimely request and granted The District
Attorney an extension of time. Judge Blake ruled untimely petition when
no Move people or delegate was present to represent Move's interest .
District Attorney Rendell through Knauer and Straub said Move could be
prosecuted within 180 days because Move was barricaded within Move
Headquaters but Rendell knew this could not excuse him from filing a
timely request for an extension of rule 1100 , as legal laws state. Sue
Africa who was involved in The May 20th ,1977 confrontation was arrested
on June 12th 1977 and was in prison the entire time, not Move
Headquaters yet District Attorney  Rendell through his assistance Knauer
and Straub failed to prosecute Sue by by November 12th 1977 or file a
timely request for extension of rule 1100.

March ,1978 -Philadelphia Mayor Frank Rizzo and District Attorney Ed
Rendell got a court order from The Pennsylvania Supreme Court to
institute a starvation blockade -the city cordoned off a 3 block radius
around the house , they turned off water and denied us access to food,
They arrested  anybody who got caught trying to give us food and water.
There were pregnant women and breast feeding babies and young children
in the house along with the adults.After so much pressure from the
public the city officials began mediation efforts which resulted in a
ten point agreement proposed to Move.

May of 1978 - Weapons were turned over to the city , the police searched
our house ,no weapons were found , Once examined , All the weapons were
found to be inoperable . Move people were processed on the weapons
charges stemming from May 20th 1977 confrontation.. Before Move was
processed on these charges the city agreed to release all Move Political
Prisoners and drop all outstanding charges within 4-6 weeks.

May 8 th, 1978 After 55 Days , the starvation blockade was lifted .

May 19th 1978 After the agreement was finalized , the city insisted that
Move not come to court .Attorney Oscar Gaskins went to court on Move's
behalf.

Judge Dibona's order of May 3,1978 said Move People was to vacate Move
Headquaters within 90 days. Move never agreed to this.District Attorney
Ed Rendell , publicly stated that all outstanding charges against Move
People would be dismissed. And we would be released on our own
recognizance within 4-6 weeks of the cities agreement ,but when Move was
processed on those weapons charges , the case was listed for June 13th
,1978 ,before Judge Smith . Contradicting the 4 to 6 weeks dismissal of
charges stated by District Attorney Rendell. Judge Smith denied all
pretrial motions raised on behalf of Move including the motion to
dismiss the case under rule 1100. He continued the weapons case until
August 9 th, 1978 for trial before Judge William Marutani.

July 1978 - District Attorney  Ed Rendell ,through his Assistant
District Attorneys's ,Knauer and Straub requested Judge Blake reconsider
his five month old February ruling on the Da's petition to extend rule
1100. Judge Blake reconsidered his February order and extended the
deadline for trying Move until November ,1978.

August 2,1978, Police Inspector George Fencl went to Judge Dibona ,a
civil Judge who was also involved with the cities agreement and
testified to seeing three Move People still at The Move House.Move never
agreed to leave Move Headquaters and there was never an eviction order
for Move to vacate . Legal Law states that a defendant is supposed to
get at least 20 days notice of a hearing but this was contradicted by
the legal system in Judge Dibona who summoned 20 Move People to come
before him that same afternoon to show cause why he should not hold Move
in civil contempt for staying in Move Headquaters past August 1st , 1978.

Judge Dibona's legal contradictions were further revealed when he issued
further fraudulent criminal warrants on Move People knowing he had no
jurisdiction over the criminal litigation. Judge Dibona issued bail
warrants for Move People with the court numbers of the weapons case from
May 20th 1977 , knowing the case was under Judge Marutani's jurisdiction
. District Attorney Ed Rendell assistant's Knauer and Straub, who made
up the warrants knew Dibona had no jurisdiction over the matter . Judge
Dibona claimed the issue was Move People refusing to leave Move
Headquaters ,but it is clear that the issue was not Move Headquaters or
Move refusing to leave because Dibona knowing issued fraudulent warrants
for two Move People he knew was in Richmond Virginia not in Philadelphia
.After August 8th 1978 ,he did not revoke the criminal warrants he
issued on Alberta, Dennis,Carlos,Frank,and Raymond Africa even though
they knew he was not in the house.The District Attorney along with the
rest of these gangsters was only concerned with killing Move off ,even
if they had to violate legal laws to do it.

August 8th 1978 3:00 in the morning city officials came to our house
with warrants to arrest all occupants of the house. These warrants were
issued by Judge Fred Dibona , he said Move Violated a August 2nd 1978
civil court order by not appearing . Over 600 cops, k9, the fire
department,came to our house armed with machine guns , Uzi rifles,,mini
rugers, all types of automatic and semi automatic weapons,  they came
with a tank , a crane, bulldozers,deluged water cannons, tear gas,smoke
bombs,and grenades and the intent to kill. In their frenzy to kill Move
,they wounded and killed their own cop. Move was arraigned on charges of
assault ,attempted murder, and the murder of a police officer. On August
8th 1978  The Philadelphia officials destroyed physical evidence in a
serious murder trial when they demolished The Move House. It is an
automatic legal procedure to protect the scene of the crime. Despite
this obvious historical procedure The District Attorney's Office, The
Police Department, and The Judges twisted this procedure in the face of
the world , then told people we had a fair trial.

District Attorney's Wilhelm Knauer and John Straub  tried to lay ground
work during the beginning of the trial , to use The May 20th 1977
demonstration as evidence to say Move conspired to kill cops on August
8th 1978 . The District Attorney's first witness Dr. Robert Catherman,
Assistant Medical Examiner who took part in the autopsy of Officer James
Ramp , said Ramp's death was caused by a single gunshot wound at the
upper left side at the top of the chest, below the collar bone. He said
  in the post mortem report the word right appeared in three places
where it should have said left. He said he called the discrepancy with
the report , to the attention of assistant District Attorney Knauer
shortly before the hearing. District Attorney Knauer , changed the
official report presented in court ,shortly before the hearing Knauer
penciled in a L   Over the top of the words right. Which caused a
discrepancy with the report, pertaining to the entry wound and the
course of the bullet that killed Ramp. Charges were not brought against
Knauer and he was not sent to jail for tampering with evidence.
  District Attorney Knauer tampered with evidence in a serious murder
case where people's freedom was at stake. The police Department was to
investigate Ramp's death , a ballistics test was to be conducted by
police personnel and a autopsy by the city medical examiner as a result
of the discrepancy  of the medical report. John White , a spokesman for
District Attorney Ed Rendell , said prosecution of Move People will be
made a lot more difficult because the house was destroyed and their was
no way to determine the path or course of the bullet that killed  Ramp.

District Attorney's Knauer and Straub was allowed by Judge Merna
Marshall to use pictures and diagrams of The Move House as evidence
against us because they had destroyed necessary physical evidence ,
meanwhile this is the same judge who ruled pictures of a three week old
Move baby killed by police March 6th,1976 could not be used as evidence
against the police.District Attorney Knauer tried to imply that the
weapon that killed Ramp was supposedly confiscated from Move
Headquaters,it later came out in court that police had used the same
type of weapons  that day of the raid. The test of the bullet fragment
taken from Ramp's body was determined inconclusive and incomplete
because their was not enough bullet fragment to prove which gun the
bullet came from.
According to every account , the fatal bullet that killed Ramp traveled
downward. It is impossible for somebody in the basement to shoot
somebody standing over them on street level and have the bullet travel
downwards. The District Attorney's Office , The City had an obvious
conspiracy which is proven in these noted facts . It should be clear
that it is impossible for The District Attorney or The City Of
Philadelphia to conduct and unbiased investigation of Move or itself.

May 1980 - 9 Move Members found guilty of 3rd degree murder, Criminal
Attempted Murder,and Criminal Conspiracy.

August 4th 1981 -  9 Move Members were sentenced to 30-100 years in
prison by Judge Edwin Malmed. Move have been in prison now for 36 years
for a crime we didn't commit. No Cops, District Attorney's, Judges or
City Officials have ever been held accountable for the unjustified
beating, Jailing, and Murders of innocent Move Men, Women, and Children
including The May 13th 1985 bombing and murdering of 11 innocent Move
Members. Even with documented proof that the city officials abetted by
the cops, and the Da's and judges deliberately plotted, planned and
conspired to murder Move People.The Philadelphia District Attorney's
  May 13th 1985 investigation refused to indite any state or city
officials. Reports of the investigation turned over to District Attorney
Ronald Castille were never turned over to the Federal Grand Jury..

The Parole Board is another agency added in the conspiracy against Move.
Move people became eligible for release in 2008 after spending 30 years
in prison, but we were denied parole and have been denied every year
since , and not eligible to see the parole board until 2016 eight years
after our minimum.

Janet Africa
Move Political Prisoner