[Pnews] UK - Is there a plot to shut down CAGE? This reeks of the police state!

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jul 15 15:22:25 EDT 2014

  /(Cage/ /sponsored the 2012 Cointelpro 101 tour of the UK - making the
  connection between government repression in the UK and the US/.
  https://www.facebook.com/notes/freedom-archives/note-on-the-uk-tour-of-cointelpro-101/458203137532046
  /)/

  Is there a plot to shut down CAGE?

Friday 11 July 2014
*Written By:* Fahad Ansari <http://www.cageuk.org/authors/fahad-ansari>

_*/UPDATE (14/07/14): Please read this piece from the Telegraph.
/
<http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100279865/if-cage-has-broken-the-law-let-it-be-prosecuted-this-reeks-of-the-police-state/#disqus_thread>*_
*See Below*

*CAGE has been under sustained pressure over the last few months since
it's business bank accounts
<http://www.cageuk.org/article/there-plot-shut-down-cage#> were closed
down. Our work continues to go from strength to strength, but without
your help we may not be able to keep our head above the water for very
long.  Please read this article, circulate it, and join us for our
fundraising event next week
<http://cageuk.org/event/srebrenica-syria-aiding-time-fear> Thursday, so
that we can continue
<http://www.cageuk.org/article/there-plot-shut-down-cage#> to advocate
for truth and justice in the War on Terror. *
/"Do people think that they will be left alone because they say, 'We
believe', and will not be tested? And We indeed tested those who were
before them. And Allah will certainly make it known (the truth of) those
who are true, and will certainly make it known (the falsehood of) those
who are liars." (Quran
<http://www.cageuk.org/article/there-plot-shut-down-cage#>: 29:2-3)/
Many of our supporters have recently had their regular standing orders
to our bank accounts dishonoured with the answer "Account Closed". We
sincerely apologise for the inconvenience and anxiety this has caused
our supporters.
While the closure of our accounts has created a high level of
operational inconvenience which has disrupted our projects and
campaigns, we are in the process of applying for
<http://www.cageuk.org/article/there-plot-shut-down-cage#> a new bank
account <http://www.cageuk.org/article/there-plot-shut-down-cage#>. For
those who wish to continue to donate to CAGE in the meantime, we are
more than happy to receive cash donations and are willing to facilitate
this through arranging to collect donations personally from supporters.
Following the arrest
<http://www.cageuk.org/article/there-plot-shut-down-cage#> of our
Outreach Director Moazzam Begg on 25 February 2014, we have noted with
great concern that there appears to be a concerted effort to shut the
organisation down or to at least render it operationally ineffective.
This has recently taken place through the imposition of unwarranted
pressure on some of our most significant donors as well as through the
closure of our business bank accounts. The reason for the delay in
announcing this to our supporters is that we wanted to first exhaust all
means available to us to rectify the situation. We are only too aware of
the climate of fear that exists in our community and we are conscious to
avoid reinforcing that, but we have come to a point now where we simply
cannot continue as we are, we urgently need your help.
Like any business, CAGE requires the use of bank accounts in order to
function and had accounts open with Barclays and the Co-Operative Bank.
In March this year, both banks closed CAGE's accounts without any prior
notification. Direct Debits were cancelled and Standing Orders returned
with no explanation other than the banks that the accounts had been
closed. Shortly after the CAGE account was closed, Barclays also closed
the personal accounts of CAGE's Treasurer and a senior CAGE volunteer.
CAGE's Treasurer had been banking with Barclays for over 18 years. No
explanation has been provided for the closure of any of those accounts.
For over a decade, CAGE has been at the forefront of exposing the role
of the UK government in rendition and torture for over a decade and has
been a persistent and vocal critic of its counter-terrorism laws and
policies. CAGE has always carried out its activities within the remit of
the law and the message that we are propagating is reaching an
increasing number of people both in the UK and abroad. It is only to be
expected that CAGE too would become a target of those measures as a
result. All of this is happening despite the fact that we have never
been implicated or involved in any wrongdoing, we are a legitimate
organisation working transparently yet we are effectively being treated
as a designated organisation even though we aren't. The Treasury has
written to us on more than one occasion confirming that we are not
designated.
Despite the setbacks, CAGE has continued its struggle for truth and
justice. Since our accounts were closed, we have:

  * Exposed MI5's complicity in the detention and torture abroad of
    British resident Ahmed Diini
    <http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/exclusive-mi5-stands-accused-of-complicity-in-torture-this-year-after-trying-to-recruit-man-from-egyptian-jail-9399746.html>
    and British Citizen Ali Adorus
    <http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/exclusive-uk-intelligence-services-accused-of-complicity-in-torture-of-british-citizen-9593165.html>,
    both featured on the front page of the Independent.
  * Published an information leaflet on people's rights
    <http://cageuk.org/article/raids-know-their-duties-know-your-rights>
    during police home raids
  * Provided unique insight into the issue of foreign fighters in Syria
    through comments in the written and broadcast media, including
    appearances on BBC Newsnight
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW3UstPM_TU> and Channel 4 News
    <http://www.channel4.com/news/should-we-fear-britons-who-go-to-syria-video>
  * Participated in the public consultation
    <http://cageuk.org/article/cage-suggests-changes-schedule-7-code-practice>
    on the Schedule 7 officer's Code of Practice
  * Published an exclusive interview
    <http://cageuk.org/article/interview-heba-al-dabbagh-speaks-cage>
    with Heba al-Dabbagh, the author of 'Just five Minutes', an account
    of her detention and tortured in Syria during the 1980s
  *
    We provide support to dozens of people who visit us for advice and
    support
  *
    We have on going discussions and work with partners including
    Reprieve, Leigh Day Solicitors and other legal firms, International
    Committee of the Red Cross, Joseph Roundtree Charitable Trust, The
    Roddick Foundation, The American Civil Liberties Union, The Center
    for Constitutional Rights, Statewatch and major media organisations.

CAGE is not the first organisation of its kind to be targeted in this
way, nor will it be the last. Civil rights groups around the world have
historically been persecuted in this manner by the authorities precisely
because they work to hold those governments to account for their crimes.
When Islam first arrived in the Arabian Peninsula, it was the Prophet
Muhammed (may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him) preaching and
campaigning for a more just society free of oppression, in which the
rights of Allah, the orphans, women, the elderly, the weak and the
vulnerable, were protected, that resulted in the Muslims of that time
being arbitrarily detained, tortured and executed. Indeed one of the
most powerful weapons that the enemies of Islam used at that time was
the complete social and economic boycott of the Muslims and those who
supported them, i.e. the imposition of financial sanctions. Although
these sanctions lasted for a torturous three years during which the
Muslims suffered tremendously with many dying of starvation and
malnutrition, this was a defining period in the nurturing of the
companions of a strength and conviction that would help them not just
overcome their enemies in Makkah but also the mighty superpowers of Rome
and Persia in years to come.
CAGE has been operating for over a decade and we perceive these current
events in a similar vein. We want to reassure our supporters that
despite these setbacks, we intend to be here for another decade with the
permission of Allah and even longer in our struggle for truth and
justice to create a world free from oppression and injustice.
Finally, while it is natural to feel fear or anxiety, we remind
ourselves and our supporters that we must not allow that fear to control
our behaviour and actions.  Our position today is like that of the
companions of the Prophet Muhammed (may the peace and blessings of Allah
be upon him) on the day of the Battle of the Trench who initially felt
petrified by the coalition forces that had surrounded Madinah, but on
remembering Allah declared:
/"This is what Allah and His Messenger had promised us, and Allah and
His Messenger spoke the truth." (Quran: 33:22) /
As Allah says, this increased them, not in fear, but in faith and
submission.

  ***********************************

  If Cage has broken the law, let it be prosecuted; this reeks of the
  police state

By Peter Oborne <http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/author/peteroborne/>
Politics <http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/category/politics/> Last
updated: July 14th, 2014

*http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100279865/if-cage-has-broken-the-law-let-it-be-prosecuted-this-reeks-of-the-police-state/*
<http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100279865/if-cage-has-broken-the-law-let-it-be-prosecuted-this-reeks-of-the-police-state/#dPostComment>

/This piece is written by Alex Delmar-Morgan and Peter Oborne/

There is no doubt that terrorists are the most despised and hated
section of society. Many people would like to lock them up and throw
away the key.

However, even those suspected of being terrorists enjoy rights in a
free, democratic society. They are entitled to a fair trial, to support
<http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100279865/if-cage-has-broken-the-law-let-it-be-prosecuted-this-reeks-of-the-police-state/#>
and to legal protection. Indeed one of most important tests of a robust
legal system is the way it defends unpopular minorities.

For the last ten years one organisation has done more than any other to
stand up for alleged terrorists. Cage is a tiny organisation based in
London, operating off a budget of less than £300,000 a year.

It has highlighted the cases of such controversial figures as Moazzam
Begg, who was held without charge in Guantánamo Bay until 2005 and
Shaker Aamer, the Saudi citizen who has the right to permanent residence
<http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100279865/if-cage-has-broken-the-law-let-it-be-prosecuted-this-reeks-of-the-police-state/#>
in the United Kingdom and has been disgracefully held for more than
twelve years without charge in Guantánamo, despite protest by the
British government.

Cage has also worked with the victims of mistreatment and abuse to
expose what it sees as British government participation
<http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100279865/if-cage-has-broken-the-law-let-it-be-prosecuted-this-reeks-of-the-police-state/#>
in the secret world of rendition and torture. It also spoken out against
the UK's anti-terrorism laws, saying they are draconian and target
Muslims. But it insists it has always conducted its activities legally
and clearly states it is opposed to the killing of innocent civilians.

Some commentators have called for its closure. Indeed, the group has
been accused of being an apologist for terrorists, it has been labelled
an extremist group, and it has come under constant fire from the media.
Its director of research, Asim Qureshi, has even received death threats.

Lord Carlile QC, the government's former independent reviewer of
anti-terrorism legislation is a critic, while Gita Sahgal resigned from
Amnesty International in 2010 over claims the human rights group was too
close to Begg, and branded Cage a "jihadi" group. Other respected
figures -- such as Clive Stafford Smith at Reprieve -- have praised the
work done by Cage. Stafford Smith queries, in particular, why the
government continually alienates the very people who could most
intelligently advise it on how to avoid provoking young people to extremism.

This was how matters stood in February this year. Since then a
mysterious sequence of apparently unrelated events has brought Cage to
its knees. Its bank accounts
<http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100279865/if-cage-has-broken-the-law-let-it-be-prosecuted-this-reeks-of-the-police-state/#>
have been closed down, while the Charity Commission has opened cases
into two of its most important donors. One Cage director and one former
board member are facing investigation for financial irregularities.

Requests to open accounts have been refused by around ten banks the
<http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100279865/if-cage-has-broken-the-law-let-it-be-prosecuted-this-reeks-of-the-police-state/#>
group has since approached, it can't afford to pay its staff and faces
the prospect of being forced to close down.

Cage's troubles began when its director of outreach, Moazzam Begg, was
arrested in February on suspicion of terrorism offences linked to Syria.
(Begg, who was released without charge from Guantánamo in 2005,
campaigned for Cage for the fair treatment and due process of terror
suspects held in the military prison in Cuba.)

Following Begg's arrest
<http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100279865/if-cage-has-broken-the-law-let-it-be-prosecuted-this-reeks-of-the-police-state/#>,
the Treasury advised the group to remove Begg as a signatory to its
accounts so as to ensure it was "not inconvenienced unduly as a result
of your connection with him". That day Cage telephoned Barclays and
asked for Begg to be removed, only to learn their direct debit with
British Telecom had also been cancelled. Days later standing orders from
private donors worth £3000 a month were also stopped.

Then the Co-operative Bank told Cage that its account had been shut,
saying it had received a letter from one of the group's signatories
requesting account closure. Cage deny any knowledge of such a letter and
so far the bank has failed to produce any evidence to support their claim.

A spokesman for the bank said: "The Co-op Bank cannot comment on client
issues, it's a breach of confidentiality."

Crucially on 11th April the Treasury told Cage that it "is not and has
never been subject to financial restrictions."

This official version of events is contradictory. Barclays has written
to Cage confirming its account had been closed because of its
association with Begg. Barclays says it has "the right to close any
account, when this happens these decisions are not taken lightly and are
considered on a case-by-case basis."

So much for Cage's banking problem, which mean it cannot draw out money
or pay its staff. Meanwhile the Charity Commission has launched
inquiries into the group's two main backers, the Joseph Rowntree
Charitable Trust and The Roddick Foundation, resulting in a suspension
of their funding. The commission opened a case into The Roddick
Foundation in March 2014, the same month the group's bank accounts were
closed down, and into JRCT in December 2013.

The signs are that this investigation -- prompted by a complaint that
Cage is a 'jihadi front that promotes bigotry and hatred'- is getting
nowhere. A spokesman for JRCT told us that the Charity Commission
informed the charity at the end of April that it had found 'no
information to substantiate the complaint.'

Two senior Cage members have also been targeted, though in different
ways. Saghir Hussain, a former board member and lawyer who has acted in
high profile terrorism cases, is being investigated by HMRC for his tax
affairs. "There are a number of things that have happened in a [short]
space of time where we feel somebody may be coordinating this
underhandedly," he told us.

In addition, Adnan Siddiqui, a Cage director and a doctor in Thornton
Heath in south London received a letter from the NHS England's counter
fraud department after Begg's arrest saying his medical practice is the
subject of an inquiry.

Both HMRC and NHS Protect, which runs its counter-fraud unit, declined
to comment.

The observer may well indeed ask: what is going on here? Is it mere
coincidence that Cage has had bank accounts closed down, its staff
targeted, and pressure heaped on its funders by the Charity Commission
all the space of a few months since Begg's arrest? If this is a
concerted effort to silence Cage, who is behind it and why?

It is true that Cage has made errors. In 2011 the group published an
article about the fictional killing of Barack Obama, attracting a storm
of controversy. Cage insisted it was a satire, used to highlight
Washington's use of drone attacks. In 2008 and 2009 it invited the
Islamic cleric Anwar Al Awlaki to talk via audiolink at two fundraising
dinners. Awlaki, a US citizen who was accused of being a key figure in
al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) by the Americans -- a claim
Cage always denied -- was killed in Yemen in a US drone strike in 2011.
Cage has distanced itself from the cleric's increasingly extreme views
since 2010, but continues to question the legality of his death.

It is greatly to be hoped that Cage has simply become the victim of a
most unlucky set of coincidences, which can in due course be remedied.
The alternative suggests there is some kind of secret arrangement
involving banks, state agencies, the Charity Commission and regulators,
to close the organisation down. Abuse of process on this scale is normal
in a police state- but is alien to the way we do things in Britain. If
Cage has broken the law, it can and should be prosecuted. Otherwise it
should be left alone to go about its business.