[Pnews] Stand with prisoners at Coal Township in the fight for human rights

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jul 10 10:34:50 EDT 2014

<http://blogspot.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=af161ec31abb2cddac84b1f12&id=da7771d064&e=d7fa16b460>

Greetings all,
Yesterday we released a petition from the prisoners at Coal Township
<http://blogspot.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=af161ec31abb2cddac84b1f12&id=c725b6dafe&e=d7fa16b460> that
includes 22 demands seeking the restoration of human rights and dignity
for the people being held in Pennsylvania prisons.

In late June, *in response to dramatic food cutbacks at the State
Correctional Institute at Coal Township, over 1300 men staged a
week-long boycott of the prison dining hall*. At the end of a week of
peaceful protest, with still no commitment to change forthcoming from
the prison administration, participants released a list of 22
requests/demands. *The prisoners are asking that prison officials at SCI
Coal Township, and across the PA Department of Corrections, honor the
basic human rights of people in prison. *Among other things, these men
are petitioning for: access to adequate food, the ability to hold
cultural events, an effective grievance process, respectful medical
care, and an end to policies that dehumanize and punish prisoners and
their families.

Please take a moment to sign this petition personally and then to
forward it widely among your networks. Given the fact that more than
1,300 prisoners at Coal Township were able to stand and act in
solidarity with one another in the name of changing current prison
conditions, at great risk to their personal livelihood, we on the
outside should be aiming not only to match but to massively amplify
those numbers in our own displays of support.

*Take action
now at https://www.change.org/petitions/pa-department-of-corrections-support-the-22-demands-of-prisoners-at-coal-township-pa
<http://blogspot.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=af161ec31abb2cddac84b1f12&id=d2c2ed867e&e=d7fa16b460>*

Looking for other ways to support? We are also asking people to continue
to call DOC Secretary Wetzel and Superintendent Mooney to demand they
make immediate changes to address the prisoners' concerns as well. The
more we can continue to inundate the prison administration with calls,
letters, faxes, petitions and emails of all forms, the better.

DOC Secretary John Wetzel – 717-728-4109

SCI Coal Township Superintendent Vincent Mooney – 570-644-7890

You can also help spread the word on Twitter
<http://blogspot.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=af161ec31abb2cddac84b1f12&id=eb15e34404&e=d7fa16b460> and
Facebook
<http://blogspot.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=af161ec31abb2cddac84b1f12&id=bace27e21c&e=d7fa16b460>,
and keep up with breaking news and information from participants on the
inside at http://decarceratepa.info/22demands
<http://blogspot.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=af161ec31abb2cddac84b1f12&id=29288c94d2&e=d7fa16b460>

In struggle and solidarity,

Decarcerate PA