[Pnews] Number on Guantanamo hunger strike doubles in under a month

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sun Jan 12 16:18:18 EST 2014

*Number on Guantanamo hunger strike doubles in under a month*

A new report has revealed that the number of hunger strikers in
Guantanamo has doubled since the final set of official figures was
released by the US authorities on December 2 2013.

The report, compiled by human rights charity Reprieve, uses prisoner
testimony to reveal that 33 men detained in Guantanamo are on hunger
strike, with 16 being force fed. The Joint Task Force at Guantanamo,
which runs the prison, announced in December of 2013 that they would no
longer release official figures of those on hunger strike because they
did not want to ‘further their protests'.

The report also reveals that authorities at the prison are punishing
those on hunger strike by sending them to the strictest of the camps,
‘Camp V Echo’. One detainee described his experiences there to his
lawyer at Reprieve: “My cell in the dreadful Camp V Echo is constructed
in a strange manner. It is designed to torture the person who is held
there. All the surfaces made of steel. The bed is steel. The walls are
steel. The floor is steel. The ceiling is steel. There is no toilet, but
the hole in the ground is made of steel.”

British resident Shaker Aamer, who remains imprisoned despite having
been cleared by both the Bush and Obama administrations, said: “[I was]
strapped to the bed for 24 hours except to use the toilet. The
[force-feeding] tube was in 24 hours a day. We would be fed for 30-40
minutes each time, with Ensure cans, two cans, three times a day. Some
of the prisoners became zombies, as if they were already dead. I dropped
weight to 130 pounds. I told the doctors, ‘I want to die peacefully. I
want no intervention.’ But they refused this.”

Mr Aamer’s British wife and four British children, the youngest of whom
he has never met, live in London. British Prime Minister David Cameron
has raised his case directly with President Obama, yet Mr Aamer remains
imprisoned. There is an ongoing police investigation into Mr Aamer’s
treatment at the hands of British and US officials.

155 men are still detained in Guantanamo Bay, 77 of who have been
cleared for release. Yesterday (Saturday) marked the twelfth anniversary
of the first arrival of prisoners at the detention camp. Of the 779 men
known to have been held there 624 have been released. More prisoners
have died than have been put on trial.

*Clive Stafford Smith*, Reprieve’s Director and Guantanamo lawyer, said:
“Guantanamo Bay has for years been a blot on the US’ reputation and a
recruiting tool for extremists. The conditions there are worsening and
more men are going on hunger strike, and being force fed, as a result.
Shaker Aamer could be transferred out of there to his home and his
family in the UK tomorrow. The US must send Shaker and the other cleared
men home and close the prison.”

ENDS

Notes to editors

1. For further information, please contact Clemency Wells or Donald
Campbell in Reprieve’s press office: +44 (0) 207 553 8161 / 8166 /
clemency.wells at reprieve.org.uk <mailto:clemency.wells at reprieve.org.uk> /
donald.campbell at reprieve.org.uk

2 <mailto:donald.campbell at reprieve.org.uk>. The comments about why the
Guantanamo authorities stopped releasing figures ofmen on hunger strike
can be found, here
<http://reprieve.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d176b31fc0ccbde9f3f3a6349&id=c8844bffec&e=f8755a10f3>.

Sign up to join our press mailing list
<http://reprieve.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d176b31fc0ccbde9f3f3a6349&id=e61cbd1feb&e=f8755a10f3>.