[Pnews] Photo disproves police account in Omaha Two COINTELPRO case

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jan 10 14:58:55 EST 2014

  Omaha World-Herald photo disproves police account in Omaha Two
  COINTELPRO case

Mondo we Langa's hands in pockets disprove police claim of dynamite
in pants
Omaha World-Herald

*http://www.examiner.com/article/omaha-world-herald-photo-disproves-police-account-omaha-two-cointelpro-case*
January 10, 2014

A photographer for the /Omaha World-Herald /snapped a photo of Mondo we
Langa
<http://www.examiner.com/article/prison-interview-with-mondo-we-langa-on-cointelpro-and-omaha-two-case>
(then David Rice) as he surrendered to authorities on August 28, 1970.
Mondo was wanted in connection with the bombing murder of Patrolman
Larry Minard, Sr.
<http://www.examiner.com/article/omaha-patrolman-larry-minard-killed-ambush-bombing-after-911-call>

Because Mondo we Langa was voluntarily surrendering he was not placed in
handcuffs while in public. The newspaper photo shows Mondo waiting for
an elevator while surrounded by police. Mondo's hands are deep in his
pants pockets. The picture is significant because moments later Mondo
was stripped of his clothes and his hands swabbed for traces of
explosives. The hand swab was negative for dynamite.

However, at trial a chemist for Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms Division,
Kenneth Snow, testified he found dynamite particles in Mondo's pants
pockets. If Snow was telling the truth then someone powdered Mondo's
pockets with dynamite particles after he had his hands in them or he
would have tested positive on the hand swab test.

Police reports state that after Mondo's clothing was removed, a
representative of ATF took custody of the garments. ATF agent Thomas
Sledge earlier transported Ed Poindexter
<http://www.examiner.com/article/prison-interview-with-ed-poindexter-on-cointelpro-and-the-omaha-police>'s
clothing and other evidence to Washington, D.C. for testing at the ATF
Laboratory. Sledge was the brother of James Sledge, one of the patrolmen
who responded to the MInard murder scene. Deputy Chief of Police Glen
Gates accompanied Thomas Sledge on the trip to Washington, D.C. on Aug.
25, 1970. An ATF chemist said dynamite particles were found in
Poindexter's shirt pocket.

Gates was already conspiring with FBI Special Agent-in-Charge Paul Young
to withhold a FBI Laboratory report on the identity of the 911 caller
who lured Minard to his death. Young had been under orders from J Edgar
Hoover,
<http://www.examiner.com/article/j-edgar-hoover-signed-off-on-secret-cointelpro-plan-to-guide-omaha-police>
director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, to get "imaginative"
against Ed Poindexter and Mondo we Langa. Hoover had targeted Black
Panther leaders all over the country in a clandestine
counterintelligence operation code-named COINTELPRO
<http://www.examiner.com/article/crimes-of-cointelpro-heard-at-northeastern-law-school-seminar>.

Glen Gates had two subordinate officers, Lt. James Perry and Sgt. Jack
Swanson, who stored dynamite outside of the police evidence locker at a
private quarry in Iowa. Perry is not to be trusted about the case
according to U.S. District Judge Warren Urbom who said it was
"impossible" for him to believe Perry's testimony. Swanson, who claimed
at trial he found dynamite in Mondo we Langa's basement, was the FBI
liaison for the police department. Either man could have supplied Gates
with a small vial of dynamite particles from their cache in Iowa to
sprinkle on clothing.

Mondo we Langa did not surrender until Aug. 28, 1970, three days after
Gates and Sledge travelled together. It is not known from available
records who transported Mondo's clothing to the ATF Laboratory for testing.

It will likely be never known who powdered Mondo's pants pockets with
dynamite particles. One thing is clear however, the /Omaha World-Herald/
photo establishes that the pockets were clean when Mondo surrendered.