[Pnews] Cuban 5 - Fernando the Giant

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Feb 27 16:34:11 EST 2014

*FERNANDO THE GIANT*

* *

In each of the Five there is something more or less unique about us. For
example Ramon is the tallest one, closely followed by René, Fernando
happens to be the one who is the least in physical stature, while I took
away second place in that category by beating out Tony by a hair.
Fernando's "title" in this category is based partly on affection, but
also for our deeply rooted professional custom of avoiding names, so
sometimes we would call him "the small one".

What I have said here may seem odd and flippant, but in these days of
joy and anxiety, with only a few hours separating Fernando from his
freedom, (and hopefully also for his quick return) I am remembering so
many signs of greatness inherent in our brother. I am reflecting on the
irony of first calling him "small" to now referring to him as a giant of
a person.

When we were arrested, Fernando had several extra reasons to feel
anguish, pain, frustration...In baseball terms, something Fernando likes
a lot, he often threw complete games, but this time his mission in Miami
was that of a short reliever. He was scheduled to return to Cuba soon.
His wedding was rapidly approaching. His bride, the warrior Rosa who
sacrificed everything in her life for him, almost had her wedding dress
on. Even with all this we never heard any lamenting from the giant.

I witnessed when his lawyer from the trial, Joaquin Mendez, told him,
with all his best professional advice, that given the lower seriousness
of the charges against him any lawyer would suggest that he opt out and
be tried separately from the others as the best legal strategy. The
response from Fernando, as well as René who received a similar
suggestion, was emphatic and unequivocal.

Fifteen and a half years later, Fernando, like René, will come out of
prison with his head held high. They gave him nothing. His sentence was
the maximum possible, and the time discounted for good behavior he
earned it and by law they had to give it to him.

Today those who love him and admire him will celebrate. We are convinced
that our struggle will be strengthened and reinforced with another
standard bearer.

We send Fernando a big embrace and say:

*Congratulations Giant!*

*Thanks for your example!*

Gerardo Hernández Nordelo

Victorville Penitentiary California

February 25, 2014.

*www.thecuban5.org
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001nVIjw2eWjPouIqSpCNQNhDzFD6bfYXw-0gVkL3VcrITJvLQxCTh_8LhZWU_a5zjqWkupLWb3m8SwbojvR6S_lHFHRZoAVFAuloNiC1lV2U5MeRksHw8TR96EDmWGKwdAJ4gR2VVqSiHM6sCsk56gmTzUOX7NZmuEi2wpRF6Qjvo=&c=ngFZW11dItfqFh_vYKTTKbsk2wD01eNAvXvYbEtRrriphh_shIUFUQ==&ch=lGk6zDil2tDdd2bxbPwxe41D2ShAkHvWvedWme3Cq-TBrLIqGbzJIQ==>*