[Pnews] Federal ADX H-Unit on Hunger Strike, Prisoners Being Force-Fed

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Feb 25 14:55:52 EST 2014

  ADX H-Unit on Hunger Strike, Prisoners Being Force-Fed

February 25, 2014 By James Ridgeway
<http://solitarywatch.com/author/jamesridgeway/> Leave a Comment
<http://solitarywatch.com/2014/02/25/adx-h-unit-hunger-strike-prisoners-force-fed/#comments>
*http://solitarywatch.com/2014/02/25/adx-h-unit-hunger-strike-prisoners-force-fed/*

According to reports this morning from inside the U.S. Penitentiary,
Administrative Maximum Facility (ADX) in Florence, CO, eight to nine
people held in the super-secret H-Unit are on hunger strike and are
being force-fed. While run by the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP), the
unit has strong FBI involvement in its management.

Mahmud Abouhalima, convicted of taking part in the 1993 World Trade
Center bombing, was sentenced to 240 years in prison. After serving some
time in general population prisons within the federal system, he landed
in H-Unit at ADX, the federal government's only supermax prison.

In November of last year, Solitary Watch published a court document it
obtained containing a statement compiled for Ayyad v. Holder by
Abouhalima. In it, Abouhalima challenges his confinement, asserting that
it violates his constitutional right to due process. He also claims the
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is heavily involved in managing
H-Unit, with its authority overriding that of BOP administrative staff.
By law, the FBI is not authorized to run prisons in the U.S.

The BOP's internal audit of its own solitary operations --- now under
way --- specifically exempts H-Unit from firsthand visits by its
investigative team.

Below are excerpts from Mahmid Abouhalima's court declaration:

    Since September 11, 2001, through today, I have been in
    administrative detention and faced brutal and systematic mental,
    spiritual, and psychological cruelty. I never believed that such an
    unusual punishment would be extended up until today, where I have
    lived in a prison cell for the last ten years that is the size of a
    closet. I am fed like a zoo animal through a slot in the door, and
    manacled and chained at the hands, waist, and legs when I leave the
    cell. A black box with heavy lock is placed on top of my wrist
    chains in addition to this when I am escorted out of the unit, like
    to the hospital or to a visit...

    Sitting in a small box in a walking distance of eight feet, this
    little hole becomes my world, my dining room, reading and writing
    area, sleeping, walking, urinating, and defecating. I am virtually
    living in a bathroom, and this concept has never left my mind in ten
    years. The toilet only works if you flush it once every five
    minutes, so if I press the flush button twice by mistake, I have to
    wait for up to an hour, with the smell of urine and defecation still
    there, everywhere I go, sit, stand, or sleep.'