[Pnews] Fernando Gonzalez - his Sentence ends, the Struggle to Free the Cuban 5 Continues

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Feb 25 10:08:21 EST 2014

*Fernando Gonzalez will End his Sentence,*

*the Struggle to Free the Cuban 5 Continues*

February 25, 2014
In two days Fernando Gonzalez Llort will end the last day of his unjust
17 years plus 9 month sentence in prison.
During his long captivity he has remained in cold and distant prisons in
various parts of the American geography. As an additional punishment
Fernando was banned from receiving visits from friends and supporters.
During all these years only his mother Magali Llort, his sisters Lourdes
and Martha, his wife Rosa Aurora Freijanes and other family members were
able to visit him. And even they averaged only one visit a year.

The lone exception was a single visit from the former Bishop of Detroit
Thomas Gumbleton in March 2007. Despite this form of isolation Fernando,
like his 4 brothers, received on a daily basis volumes of mail of
solidarity that filled the mail rooms of the prisons.

Even though Fernando has fulfilled everyday of his sentence he will
still have to go through a process of undetermined time before he will
be able to enjoy his freedom surrounded by his love ones. This Thursday
he will be taken from the Federal Correctional Prison in Safford Arizona
to a federal immigration prison until his deportation back to Cuba.
Along with his family, the heroic people of Cuba, and the thousands of
people in the international solidarity movement for the Cuban 5 we
advocate that this last bit of injustice ends as swiftly as possible.

All the love, pride and respect of the entire island of Cuba is waiting
for Fernando, a true Hero of the Republic of Cuba. His return will give
more strength to the solidarity movement as he joins forces with Rene in
leading the struggle to demand the freedom of Gerardo, Antonio and Ramon.

We will share a moment of joy with the family of Fernando upon his
return and then we will multiply our commitment to continue the fight
until the final return of the Five to Cuba.

/*International Committee for the Freedom of the Cuban 5*/