[Pnews] Maroon Unchained: A People's Victory!

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Feb 21 17:23:06 EST 2014

*MAROON UNCHAINED: A People's Victory!*

For immediate release:

February 21, 2014

The international movement to free political prisoner Russell Maroon
Shoatz from solitary confinement has achieved an historic victory: on
Thursday, February 20, 2014, Maroon stepped into general population for
the first time in 22 years.  There is no doubt; this is a PEOPLE'S VICTORY!

The coordinated efforts of Scientific Soul Sessions (SSS) and the
Campaign to Free Russell Maroon Shoatz -- particularly those organized
groups in NYC, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia -- showed the true power of
the people. When SSS (a multigenerational collective of revolutionaries
prefiguring a new society and working directly with the lessons laid out
by Maroon) sparked this international movement three years ago, Maroon's
name was hardly known beyond a small circle of dedicated prisoner rights
activists. Over the past years -- on the political, artistic, and
cultural fronts -- we have seen the founding of the Campaign, the
funding and initial coordination of Maroon's Legal Team, the publication
of Maroon's collected essays, and the organization of countless events
and soul sessions across the US.

These achievements are only the beginning. By answering the calls to
action, we created a tidal wave of momentum that must be maintained
until it is unstoppable. The power of the people proved to be a far
greater force than the system, which would have been happy to see Maroon
die without ever again feeling the embrace of his loved ones.

In a matter of weeks, Maroon went from a feces infested dungeon inside
the criminally insane Restricted Housing Unit at SCI Graterford with
nothing -- not even a blanket -- to General Population because of the
people's vigilance, voice, and committed support to fight this injustice
and stop the torture of Russell Maroon Shoatz.

This proves our strength to make the seemingly impossible possible. It
proves that the pressure to free Maroon from solitary was greater than
the state ever anticipated. The next step must be to demand Freedom Now
for Russell Maroon Shoatz. We won't allow less than complete freedom
from incarceration for this freedom fighter and inspiring leader.

Let us celebrate this victory by demanding FULL freedom for Russell
Maroon Shoatz!  We must stand firm and be prepared for our next steps
and calls to action. Thank you to all for your committed and generous
support; our future work together must be stronger still!

*FREE MAROON!*

Scientific Soul Sessions | www.scientificsoulsessions.com
<http://www.scientificsoulsessions.com>

NYC Campaign to Free Russell Maroon Shoatz

International Campaign to Free Russell Maroon Shoatz