[Pnews] Letter from Mutulu Shakur

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Dec 31 14:58:55 EST 2014

Dear Supporters of Mutulu Shakur,

Please see below a letter we are passing on to you on behalf of Mutulu.
He forwarded us this letter and requested that we share it with you as
someone who provided invaluable support this past year in Mutulu's
ongoing struggle promoting the creation of a Truth and Reconciliation
Commission and seeking his release on parole. We are working to prepare
for a new parole hearing in early 2015 and will also petition President
Obama for a commutation of sentence. We will keep you updated and will
soon be approaching you for supplemental letters of support.

Thanks.

Best wishes for the New Year.

Peter Schey, President

Marchela Iahdjian, Staff Attorney

Center for Human Rights and Constitutional Law

Dear family and friends,

Thank you for giving me your support and resources during the recent
parole hearing process. May (Allah) God bless you in the spirit of our
ancestors. I deeply thank you.

As you may know, my parole hearing took place on August 12th in USP
Victorville.My attorneys, Tarif Warren and Peter Schey felt hopeful
after the hearing examiner notified us that she would recommend to the
US Parole Commission to grant me parole.

On September 15, 2014, I received a notice of action from the National
Appeals Board rejecting the parole examiner's recommendation to advance
my release to April 2015. This rejection of the examiner's opinion and
recommendation is not the first time that we have had this experience
dealing with the US Parole Board. Last week, we appealed this rejection
and asked the Board to reconsider and provide reasons for its decision.
The appeal is now pending and we will keep all friends, family and
supporters advised of developments.

We are very excited and in awe of how our mobilization was carried out
in preparation for the August 2014 parole hearing.There has been a
groundswell of people responding to our request for letters of support,
contacts, resources, and encouragement. Your support filled the parole
hearing with character, integrity, and principles that demonstrate how
unjustified the decision of the Parole Board was.

Let's look at where we are: I am a political prisoner and our
expectation for justice is not the paradigm. We seek relief and we wait
for justice.

Due to their faulty calculations, my presumptive release date will be in
2016, if I continue as I have for the last 30 years to maintain a
positive and proactive prison record.I will continue to evade the traps,
set-ups, and to tolerate political targeting.There should be no legal or
policy rationale to deny the February 2016 release date. I will once
again be seen by the Parole Commission in May 2015.

In the interim, we are working on a commutation of sentence application
to be addressed to President Obama and/or his Department of Justice. I
kindly request that all those who supported me during many parole
hearings now lend their support to a petition to commute my sentence.
You will shortly receive a sample letter of support from my attorneys.

The petition for commutation of sentence will based in large part on my
passion and plans to develop a Truth and Reconciliation Commission
narrative in the U.S.As far as I can tell, this will be the first
opportunity for our modern society to request and develop such a body.I
am committed to this task.

I want to thank you, my supporters, and my family for your sacrifices in
my struggle.

In closing, do not feel discouraged that this recent parole was
rejected. We have done a great job.Let us stay busy, let us stay
encouraged.Let us be creative and have the audacity to put into the
ethers a just cause, deserving just results.

AIM HIGH AND GO ALL OUT.

STIFF RESISTANCE

DR.MUTULU SHAKUR (THANK YOU ALL!!!)