[Pnews] Demand that Sheriff Release Rasmea Odeh from Solitary Confinement

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Dec 5 12:00:57 EST 2014

    Rasmea Defense Committee

    Demand that Sheriff Release Rasmea from Solitary Confinement
    <http://uspcn.org/2014/12/05/urgent-action-alert-demand-that-sheriff-release-rasmea-from-solitary-confinement/>

We just learned that Rasmea Odeh has been in solitary confinement for
the past 12 days, arbitrarily punished by her jailers at the St. Clair
County Jail in Port Huron, Michigan. She is not allowed any contact with
other prisoners. Confined to her cell all day, except at midnight for a
few short minutes, Rasmea can’t make phone calls and can’t receive
visitors. This isolation punishment was initially set for 6 days, but
when she had expected to go back to general population, it has been
extended two days at a time, without explanation.

We have grave concerns about Rasmea’s well-being. She has not been
eating well, due to ongoing dental pain as well as other health issues
exacerbated by the conditions of solitary confinement.

        1. Today, please Call the office of St. Clair County Sheriff Tim
        Donnellon (810) 987-1700 <tel:%28810%29%20987-1700> [choose
        option 0],

Tell him you are calling about Rasmieh [sic] Odeh (inmate #144979), and
ask that he release her from solitary confinement immediately.

          2. Send the following message on the county's webform
        <http://stopfbi.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=8b7315d854bc40ca9fa6dd227&id=dd6f38d491&e=daddc6d2c9>:

*“I am writing out of concern for the health and well-being of Rasmieh
Odeh, inmate #144979. I urge you to take immediate action to end her
solitary confinement.” *

In addition, we are still waiting for Judge Drain to rule on the motion
to release Rasmea from jail
<http://uspcn.org/2014/11/28/update-on-the-legal-fight-to-freerasmeanow/>.
While she struggles in the horrible conditions described above,
prosecutor Jonathan Tukel is maneuvering to delay the judge’s decision
on her release. After the defense motion was filed, an amicus (or
“friend-of-the-court”) brief was submitted by the National Lawyers Guild
(NLG), supporting the defense and urging Rasmea’s release.

Typically, Judge Drain would simply decide on his own whether or not to
accept an amicus brief, but in this case, he has agreed to a request by
Tukel for time to submit a government motion to exclude the NLG brief.
This government obstructionism is a callous and shameful tactic, and
another example of Tukel and U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade’s disdain for
fairness in Rasmea’s case.

*#FreeRasmeaNow*