[Pnews] Georgia State Prison - White America is showing its true face once again

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Dec 3 17:59:26 EST 2014

    Man up or perish: White America is showing its true face once again
    <http://sfbayview.com/2014/12/man-up-or-perish-white-america-is-showing-its-true-face-once-again/>

December 3, 2014
**
**
*http://sfbayview.com/2014/12/man-up-or-perish-white-america-is-showing-its-true-face-once-again/*

*/by Braja Smith/*

As of July 11, 2014, Georgia State Prison (GSP) has placed all inmates
who were previously being illegally held on 24-hour administrative
segregation for indefinite periods at a time with a cellmate on the new
Tier II program. The new Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for Tier II
state that this new program is designed for violent and dangerous
offenders, escape-prone offenders or disruptive offenders.

It is pretty much a remake of the Step Down Program being enforced in
California, but the living conditions and general treatment in Georgia,
a very racist state, are much worse, as far as I'm concerned. True
enough, in California a lot of prisoners are being held much longer on
admin-seg, which is inhumane, but at least they are housed in single man
cells and allowed to buy food, TVs, radios, packages etc.

In GSP, where I have been housed on ISO as well as admin-seg for the
past two years and four months, we are not allowed to buy food, watch
TV, listen to radio, order packages, use electrical outlets or control
our light switches. Our cells have been further altered illegally by
welding a steel box under the tray/handcuff flap. Now all trash,
laundry, chemicals, supplies, mail, as well as food is served through
this filthy box which is /always/ filthy and rust prone.

Steel sliders have been placed over our cell windows to prevent
prisoners from seeing inside the dorm. This is so guards can abuse us
without prisoners witnessing it, also so they can creep through the dorm
and ignore our numerous concerns.

      The new Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for Tier II state that
      this new program is designed for violent and dangerous offenders,
      escape-prone offenders or disruptive offenders.

In K Building, the only building with admin-seg, the toilet controls
were also removed, leaving prisoners to the mercy of malicious or lazy
guards to flush bodily waste, which sits in the toilet for hours at a
time. The prison is infested with vermin, rats, spiders and just about
every insect you can find in the woods. Sanitation or cell clean-out
rarely happens and when it does, the chemicals have been diluted to
resemble tap water; the broom, mop and toilet brush are missing in part
or all together.

The tap water which we are forced to drink smells and tastes like sewage
or human waste and sulfur. Two buildings were shut down in 2008 due to
asbestos and I'm sure the whole prison is probably still contaminated.

The food portions and quality are poor. Well, the quality has improved
but we are being served half portions. Everyone on store restriction in
general population as well as admin-seg Tier II has lost at least 25
pounds and counting. This is another way to keep us in a very irritated
and painful state. As soon as we are served one meal -- which is never
enough to fill a grown dog let alone a man -- we are already waiting on
the next tray.

      It is pretty much a remake of the Step Down Program being enforced
      in California, but the living conditions and general treatment in
      Georgia, a very racist state, are much worse, as far as I'm concerned.

Guards are malicious, abusive, racist and lazy. The majority of them
actually enjoy taunting us and abusing us for whatever reason. Then when
a prisoner retaliates, he is sprayed, shocked, beaten, put on strip
cell, given a disciplinary write-up and sanctioned with one of many
different restrictions or even given more time in prison -- and
sometimes killed.

Now, when you put all those factors together with the fact that inmates
on Tier II are forced to live with a cellmate indefinitely, it is no
surprise the number of stabbings, assaults, rapes, robberies, suicide
attempts and murders are so high.

I have personally filed three civil suits pro-se about these living
conditions but, because I cannot argue law or access the legal material
needed, all three have been dismissed due to "failure to state a claim"
or because I "failed to prove defendants responsible," which is pure
nonsense!

A blind man can clearly see that we as prisoners are being abused and
only a cold-blooded racist system can overlook the crimes which are
being committed against us. In GSP we are now going to try a class
action as more inmates are open to doing something to fight back
intelligently.

      A blind man can clearly see that we as prisoners are being abused
      and only a cold-blooded racist system can overlook the crimes
      which are being committed against us.

This is bigger than just SHUs or Step Down Programs. White America is
actually showing its true face once again, where police and civilians
can go on a killing spree and not face prison time for murdering
innocent Black and Latino children and parents. I don't know about
y'all, but I'm sick of it. It's time to man up or perish. Oppressed
nations unite!

P.S. I was just granted the right to appeal by the 11^th Circuit Court
on my civil suit and need an attorney: Smith v. Owens, District Court
No. 6:13-CV-00115-BAE-JEG, Appeal No. 14-14039C.

/Send our brother some love and light: Braja Smith, 953055, GSP, 2164
Ga. Hwy. 147, Reidsville, GA 30499. Transcribed by Adrian McKinney.
Edited by Tynan Krakoff./