[Pnews] Previously-Secret Prison Docs Show Constitutional Violations in Experimental Prison Units

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Apr 28 12:52:23 EDT 2014

  Previously-Secret Prison Docs Show Constitutional Violations in
  Experimental Prison Units

Print Friendly and PDF <http://www.printfriendly.com>

*Docs Confirm Lack of Due Process in Communications Management Units,
Attorneys Say*

press at ccrjustice.org
*http://ccrjustice.org/newsroom/press-releases/previously-secret-prison-docs-show-constitutional-violations-experimental-prison-units*

April 23, 2014, Washington D.C./ -- /For the first time, hundreds of
documents detailing the Bureau of Prisons' process for designating
prisoners to controversial Communications Management Units (CMUs) are
public. The documents had been under a protective order in the Center
for Constitutional Rights (CCR) lawsuit, /Aref v. Holder/
<http://ccrjustice.org/ourcases/current-cases/aref-et-al-v-holder-et-al>, since
CCR filed the case in 2010.

The CMUs were quietly opened in Terre Haute, IN and Marion, IL in 2006
and 2008, respectively, to monitor and control the communications of
certain prisoners and to isolate them from other prisoners and the
outside world.  But the documents revealed today show that the BOP did
not draft criteria for designating prisoners to the facilities until
2009 <http://ccrjustice.org/files/SJ%20-%20Exhibit%2046.pdf> and that,
even then, different offices within the BOP, each of which plays a role
in the designation process, have a different understanding of the
criteria. Other documents reveal that the reasons provided
<http://ccrjustice.org/files/SJ%20-%20Exhibit%2065.pdf> to CMU prisoners
for their designation were incomplete, inaccurate, and sometimes even
false <http://ccrjustice.org/files/SJ%20-%20Exhibit%2068.pdf>. Discovery
in the case also shows that prisoners were told they could earn their
way out of the CMU by completing 18 months with clear conduct
<http://ccrjustice.org/files/SJ%20-%20Excerpts%20from%20Exhibit%2012.pdf>,
but upon meeting that goal, their requests for transfer out of the CMU
were repeatedly denied without explanation.  Other documents show
political speech
<http://ccrjustice.org/files/SJ%20-%20Exhibit%20150.pdf> was used as a
factor in CMU designation. The documents made public today also show
that 60 percent of CMU prisoners are Muslim, though Muslims comprise
only six percent of the federal prisoner population.
"The documents revealed today show that CMU prisoners have been denied
due process at every step, from designation to review," said CCR Senior
Staff Attorney Alexis Agathocleous. "The CMUs impose harsh restrictions
on prisoners, including a ban on even momentarily hugging their
families. Meanwhile, the BOP has denied hundreds of prisoners, who are
mostly Muslim, the opportunity to understand or rebut the rationale for
their placement, or a meaningful review process to earn their way out,"
The documents revealed today also show that decision-makers are not
required to, and do not, document their reasons for selecting a prisoner
for CMU placement. As a result, it is effectively impossible for
prisoners to challenge their designation.
"I was told the reason
<http://ccrjustice.org/files/SJ%20-%20Excerpt%20from%20Exhibit%2052.pdf>
I was moved to CMU was because of 'recruitment and radicalization,' but
wasn't told anything else. I tried to find out more about these
allegations so I could challenge my designation
<http://ccrjustice.org/files/SJ%20-%20Exhibit%2072.pdf>, but to no
avail," said former plaintiff Avon Twitty, who has been released from
prison since this lawsuit was filed. "Without knowing what I had
allegedly done to land in a CMU, I was helpless to challenge those
allegations and had no hope of being transferred out.  This lawsuit is
my first opportunity to get to the bottom of my placement in a harsh,
restrictive, and secretive prison unit."
In addition to heavily restricted telephone and visitation access, CMU
prisoners are categorically denied any physical contact with family
members and are forbidden from hugging, touching or embracing their
children or spouses during visits. The plaintiffs in /Aref/ spent years
under these conditions without knowing why and were designated to CMUs
despite having relatively or totally clean disciplinary histories; none
of the plaintiffs have received any communications-related disciplinary
infractions in the last decade.
View today's filing here.
<http://ccrjustice.org/files/Memo%20in%20Support%20of%20Summary%20Judgment%20Motion.pdf>
/ /
For further information about CCR's federal lawsuit around CMUs, visit
the /Aref, et al. v. Holder, et al/
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=S%2FzEuiLe1E%2FNJSHrWtEQP1IgcSZPLK%2Bg> case
page or www.ccrjustice.org/cmu <http://www.ccrjustice.org/cmu>.

The law firm Weil Gotshal & Manges LLP
<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CBoQFDAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.weil.com%2F&rct=j&q=Weil%2C+Gotschel+&ei=gVUFTImuL4a8lQf7n4DXBg&usg=AFQjCNF5Q7_VjnlS4M-5Auiw9sbn9MLrwQ>
and attorney Kenneth A. Kreuscher of the Portland Law Collective are
co-counsel in the case.