[Pnews] A message from an anarchist prisoner on the Alabama prison work strike

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Apr 3 15:47:12 EDT 2014

  A message from an anarchist prisoner on the Alabama prison work strike

April 3, 2014

*http://prisonbooks.info/2014/04/03/a-message-from-an-anarchist-prisoner-on-the-alabama-prison-work-strike/#more-4468*

    *HOW YOU CAN HELP*

    We ask that you make phone calls to the Warden, the commissioner of
    the Alabama Department of Correction, and the Governor of Alabama,
    to check on the situation, our condition, demands, and welfare.

    *Please call:*

    Warden Gary Hetzel (Holman Prison): (251) 368-8173
    Commissioner Kim Thomas (Alabama DOC) (334) 353-3870
    Governor Robert J. Bentley: (334) 242-7100

/From Anarchy Live!
<http://anarchylive.noblogs.org/post/2014/04/03/message-from-michael-on-the-alabama-work-strike/>/

Clenched-fist salute!

I'm Michael and yes, I'm locked down in one of Amerika's many prisons in
the state of Alabama. But that does not excuse me from the struggle for
a better world. And I believe that anarchism is the best alternative to
what exists now. I believe this without reservations. Anarchism is not
about building state power, but rather, destroying the state and
building new humyn relationships based on mutual aid and cooperation and
freedom.

I'm not a public speaker, but a warrior in the struggle to build that
new humyn relationship, mutual aid, cooperation, and freedom from all
coercive power, rather than a soldier, because a soldier is someone who
is ordered about without thinking for him/herself in a hierarchical
structure. A tool of a ruling power.

Right now there is a struggle going on in Alabama's prisons demanding a
change in the horrendous, unsanitary, and inhumane conditions in the
prisons. In the prison I'm at, Holman, birds fly around the kitchen
dropping bird shit on prisoners and/or their food, industrial light
fixtures are falling from the ceiling injuring at least one prisoner
seriously, during the winter months the showers are cold, the dorms are
also cold in the winter, inadequate medical care, inadequate outdoors
exercise time, inadequate nutrition, harassment of family members during
visiting hours, and a host of other serious problems too numerous to
list (see Justice or Just Business
<http://anarchylive.noblogs.org/post/2014/04/03/justice-or-just-business/> for
more). But most of all, we are fighting and struggling for our dignity
and humanity.

Prisoners have very few options against the prison system. We have the
options of: (1) filing lawsuits, (2) rioting, (3) hunger strikes, (4)
work strikes. These four are the most common practices used by prisoners
throughout the world. A work strike is what is going down in Alabama
right now. The reason a work strike was chosen is simple. To cause the
state to lose the profits it rests in off of prisoners' labor and to
force them into making the changes in the conditions that's demanded.

In January 2014, prisoners in Alabama staged a work strike demanding
changes in the laws, sentencing, and prison conditions. The present work
strike is a continuation of the January 2014 work strike.

Of course, as an anarchist I know that only by smashing the state and
its oppressive institutions will people receive true humyn rights. I say
people and not prisoners because there will be no prisons. Also, as an
anarchist, I'm an enemy of the state and its rotten institutions and
those that support them, invest in them, profit from them even if it's a
wage.

Another option or weapon I didn't mention until now is the people on the
outside in what some of us call minimum kustody (society) and what
others call "free-world." What's free about it? Anyway, the people on
the outside are the greatest weapon we can employ. Those on the outside
can use the media (print, TV, social media) to expose the inhumynity
going on in Amerika's prisons. This is a priority. Through exposure,
people can be educated as to the true nature of prisons and motivated to
move against the state. Also, outside folks can carry out actions such
as the George Jackson Brigade actions in solidarity with prisoners in
Washington state who was struggling there, the actions carried out by
the Red Army Faction in Germany to show their solidarity and disgust
with the state, and most recently by anonymous warriors in Indiana in
support and solidarity with the prisoners on hunger strike there.
There's real risks in these actions for the people carrying them out and
one must give it the seriousness it deserves. But one must also
understand that prisoners are at serious risk of physical violence
against them, possibly death, continued incarceration, isolation just to
name a few outcomes. I myself don't look to come out of this latest work
strike unscathed.

But my solidarity with my fellow prisoners is more than lip service. We
are already experiencing violence due to the fucked up conditions we all
suffer under. A person can't be so oppressed that they can't find a way
to fight back in some way. And one must use the weapons at their
disposal. It's on!

Tutashinde Mbili Shaka! (Together we can win!)
Death 2 the State!
Until we all are free!
Abolish prisons!

We expect retaliation, possibly including beatings of prisoners who are
labeled as agitators.