[Ppnews] Solidarity Fast Ends Successfully – Confronts Jerry Brown.

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Sep 9 12:34:14 EDT 2013

*Solidarity Fast Ends Successfully – Confronts Jerry Brown.*

September 8, 2013 at 7:35 pm.

Posted by LaborSolidarityCommittee
<http://occupyoakland.org/author/laborsolidaritycommittee/>
http://occupyoakland.org/2013/09/solidarity-fast-ends-successfully-and-confronts-jerry-brown/

*Adopted from an email report by one of the Prisoner Hunger Strike
Solidarity team members*:
<http://occupyoakland.org/2013/09/solidarity-fast-ends-successfully-and-confronts-jerry-brown/solidarity-fast-shout/>
/
Congratulations to our two intrepid hunger strike solidarity peeps who
successfully completed their 60 hour fast at 11:59:59 Saturday night 9/7
in support of the prisoners’ 60 day hunger strike and their 5 core
demands. The fast took place outside of Gov. Jerry Brown’s condo on
Telegraph Ave. at 27th St. in uptown Oakland./
/
I was present late afternoon Saturday when Jerry Brown arrived. One
supporter, a lawyer, was in the lobby of the building when Brown entered
unexpectedly through the rear entrance. She rode the elevator with him
up to his 3rd floor condo and had a very “polite” conversation with him./
/
After she alerted us to his presence, 4 of us gathered under his window
along 27th St. with a bullhorn and a sign reading, “End Long-Term
Solitary Confinement.” There’s no doubt that Brown heard us through the
bullhorn. One of our fasters – formerly incarcerated in the SHU – spoke
forcefully and with heartfelt passion, stating the 5 core demands and
demanding Brown’s compliance with them./
/
One resident called out from her window that we were causing a
disturbance and threatened to call the police. Our other faster
responded through the bullhorn to the resident’s concern directly and
respectfully: “Gov. Jerry Brown is a political leader and the people
have the right to demand redress of their grievances. The condo
residents should expect more such disturbances. If the residents of the
condo are annoyed by these disturbances, they should consider organizing
to remove Brown from the condo. We’ll stop speaking for now, but please
come down and visit us at our table and talk to us.”/
/
And visit us they did! In the course of the remainder of the afternoon
and evening, 5 neighbors dropped by the table, and all were supportive
of our effort./
/
Later in the day we spotted Brown’s Secret Service black Suburban
exiting the rear of the building. Two of us ran out onto 27th St. hoping
to get a photo of handing Brown a copy of the prisoners’ statement on
suspending the hunger strike as they approached the intersection, but
they ran the light and got away./

- See more at:
http://occupyoakland.org/2013/09/solidarity-fast-ends-successfully-and-confronts-jerry-brown/#sthash.L70Hct2l.dpuf