[Ppnews] Prisoners see linked struggles in California, Palestine

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Sep 4 13:54:10 EDT 2013

  Prisoners see linked struggles in California, Palestine

Submitted by Nora Barrows-Fr... on Tue, 09/03/2013 - 23:55
http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/nora-barrows-friedman/prisoners-see-linked-struggles-california-palestine

    ei_podcast_9-3-13.mp3
    <http://cdn1.electronicintifada.net/sites/electronicintifada.net/files/ei_podcast_9-3-13.mp3>

Download
<http://cdn1.electronicintifada.net/sites/electronicintifada.net/files/ei_podcast_9-3-13.mp3>

This week on The Electronic Intifada podcast:

    * Why Palestine solidarity activists are organizing around the
      hunger striking prisoners in California jails
          o Azadeh Zohrabi, Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Network
            <http://prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com/>
          o Lara Kiswani, Arab Resource and Organizing Center
            <http://araborganizing.org/>

      Rush transcript: Lara Kiswani and Azadeh Zohrabi on solidarity
      between prisoner hunger strikers in California and Palestine

*The Electronic Intifada:* Azadeh, let's start off with you. can you
tell us about the latest news on the hunger strike protests that are
still going on inside California prisons, and what they're demanding,
and how the state has responded so far?

*Azadeh Zohrabi:* Yes. You mentioned earlier that there are about 40
people who are still on hunger strike, and those are people who have
been on hunger strike continuously since July 8th --- today is their
57th day. However, they're not the only ones on hunger strike; there are
about 150 other people who are also on hunger strike, they just haven't
been on hunger strike continuously. They may have come off hunger strike
and restarted their hunger strike.

We also noticed that since two weeks ago, when a federal court in
California gave permission to the Department of Corrections to begin
force-feeding people, that many protesters have rejoined the hunger
strike in protest of this force-feeding order. So we see that numbers
are rapidly going up. So far, the state of California has not engaged in
negotiations with the hunger strikers, nor have they addressed the
demands of the hunger strikers in any reasonable or meaningful way.

The prisoners who are on hunger strike are demanding an end to the
administrative abuse that they face, a lot of these things happen with
very little due process and very little transparency. And people are
spending decades in solitary confinement under these conditions that are
not conditions that are given to them as part of their sentence by a
court when they're sentenced to prison, it's completely done
administratively, in secrecy, using confidential evidence that can't be
challenged.

They're also asking for better food. A lot of them are complaining about
the nutritional inadequacy of the food that they've been given. A lot of
them are asking for more contact with their families, better conditions,
more time out of their cells, and an end to long-term solitary
confinement --- this practice that allows the Department to hold them in
cells by themselves for forty or more years.

*EI:* Lara Kiswani, this sounds shockingly similar to the conditions
that Palestinian prisoners are facing in Israeli jails and detention
centers. Can you talk about how this struggle in California connects to
the Palestinian struggle for human rights, and why are solidarity
activists organizing around the hunger strikes inside California prisons?

*Lara Kiswani:* Yes, definitely. There are very organic connections and
links between what's happening here with prisoners in California and
across the US, and what's happening with prisoners in Palestine or in
the Zionist state of Israel. The US exports torture tactics and policing
strategies all across the world, and specifically within the state of
Israel. And they share surveillance technology, police training and
military training. So the fact that a lot of the strategies are shared
across the border also means that the struggles within the prisons are
very similar.

And just like the system here is racialized, it too is racialized in
Palestine. So we find there are direct connections between the interests
of the US in the prison industry here, and the interests of the US
within the state of Israel, and its expansion of empire and its
corporate interests.

So prisoners in Palestine have been struggling for decades with
administrative detention, which is very similar to solitary confinement,
and 40 percent of the Palestinian male population have been in prison.
So given these numbers, there's obviously a clear connection to the
people of color here in the US and the way in which men of color in
particular are used as pawns within this industry, and often targeted
for the prison industrial complex.

So we've been trying really hard to make these connections within our
broader bases. But within the prisons themselves, Palestinian prisoners
have been making those connections and have been reading up on
struggles, from the days of Bobby Sands and after, they've been very
well-read. The prisons are in essence schools, just like they are here.
Where movements are actually created and built within the prisons.

Right after the hunger strikes started here in Pelican Bay, statements
started to come out from prisons in Palestine, expressing their
solidarity with the struggles here. Because they saw that their struggle
was intrinsically linked to the struggle of prisoners here against the
US imperialist country that is essentially the root cause of what
Palestinians are going through.

*EI:* Azadeh, how important is it to build solidarity networks around
the systems of mass incarceration in the US, especially when the
establishment media is not covering these hunger strikes either in
California or Palestine, or general prison conditions at all?

*AZ:* It's very important, and I think that the people who are in prison
and are on a hunger strike in California also see these connections.

I was just at New Folsom Prison last Thursday, where a busload of 50
prisoners was just transferred from Pelican Bay. And during my visits,
the people who were on hunger strike in the prison were asking me to
look up information on how Israel deals with hunger strikers, and how
they have dealt with hunger strikers, because there was a strong feeling
that the US and the California state and federal governments were
collaborating with Israel in terms of information sharing, just as Lara
said, about how to politically repress these peaceful protest actions,
and how to delegitimize them, and how to squash it inside prisons.

So today I was reading about Palestinian prisoners being transferred in
an attempt to break their hunger strikes, and that's the exact same
thing we're seeing in California. And there's a very real consciousness
amongst the prisoners in California that this is a global struggle
against these same issues, and that what's happening in California is
linked to what's happening in Palestine, and is linked to what happened
in Ireland and what happened in those prisons there.

So there's a very real connection both in terms of the outside
collaborative work that we're trying to do to build solidarity, and what
the prisoners themselves are seeing --- their moment in history and
their struggle for human rights.

*EI:* Lara, how can people get in touch with the Arab Resource and
Organizing Center and what kinds of direct actions are you planning in
support of the California prison hunger strikes?

*LK:* Well, one thing we're constantly doing is just internal education
and sharing stories and experiences. So we've created a Pelican Bay to
Palestine network, which Azadeh is a part of, as well as other prison
organizers in the Bay Area, to talk about the different struggles and
what's happening, different efforts to challenge these systems of
oppression.

So one thing is internal education, and the other is developing some
sort of action plan as far as being participants in the various actions
that the coalition is already in the works of building on. So we've
already been participating in various efforts, as well as the Cocoran
State Prison caravan, and the direct actions that have been happening
locally.

People can get in touch with the Arab Resource and Organizing Center
through our website, araborganizing.org <http://araborganizing.org/>,
that's probably the best way, and we'll be updating about various ways
for us to stay in the loop about different struggles, prison struggles
as well as other solidarity struggles across the US.

*EI:* And Azadeh, where can people go for more information on the
Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition?

*AZ:* We are at prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com
<http://prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com/>, we also have a
Facebook presence
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Prisoner-Hunger-Strike-Solidarity/117053298383319>,
and @CAHungerStrike <https://twitter.com/CAHungerStrike> on Twitter. On
our website, you can find all the information about upcoming actions,
statements from the prisoners themselves and all the news and action
alerts and upcoming events happening across the country.