[Pnews] Solitary Confinement’s Invisible Scars

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Oct 31 14:37:11 EDT 2013

Jean Casella and James Ridgeway posted: " The following comes from our
friend and colleague Five Omar Mualimm-ak, who works for prison reform
in New York with the American Friends Service Committee, Campaign to End
the New Jim Crow, New York City Jails Action Coalition, and New York
Campaign fo"

    Voices from Solitary: Solitary Confinement’s Invisible Scars
    <http://solitarywatch.com/2013/10/31/voices-solitary-solitary-confinements-invisible-scars/>

by Jean Casella and James Ridgew <http://solitarywatch.com/?author=10>

A cell in one of New York's Special Housing Units.

/The following comes from our friend and colleague Five Omar Mualimm-ak,
who works for prison reform in New York with the American Friends
Service Committee
<https://afsc.org/program/healing-justice-program-new-york-metro>,
Campaign to End the New Jim Crow <http://www.endnewjimcrow.org/>, New
York City Jails Action Coalition <http://www.nycjac.org/>, and New York
Campaign for Alternatives to Isolated Confinement <http://nycaic.org/>,
among other groups. He served twelve years in New York State prisons,
where solitary is used as a punishment for minor rule violations. Five
spent a total of more than five years in isolation. This commentary
originally appeared in /The Guardian
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/30/solitary-confinement-invisible-scars>.
/--Jean Casella/

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

As kids, many of us imagine having superpowers. An avid comic book
reader, I often imagined being invisible. I never thought I would
actually experience it, but I did.

It wasn't in a parallel universe – although it often felt that way – but
right here in the Empire State, my home. While serving time in New York
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/new-york>'s prisons, I spent 2,054
days in solitary and other forms of isolated confinement, out of sight
and invisible to other human beings – and eventually, even to myself.

After only a short time in solitary, I felt all of my senses begin to
diminish. There was nothing to see but gray walls. In New York's
so-called special housing units, or SHUs, most cells have solid steel
doors, and many do not have windows. You cannot even tape up pictures or
photographs; they must be kept in an envelope. To fight the blankness, I
counted bricks and measured the walls. I stared obsessively at the bolts
on the door to my cell.

There was nothing to hear except empty, echoing voices from other parts
of the prison. I was so lonely that I hallucinated words coming out of
the wind. They sounded like whispers. Sometimes, I smelled the paint on
the wall, but more often, I just smelled myself, revolted by my own scent.

There was no touch. My food was pushed through a slot. Doors were
activated by buzzers, even the one that led to a literal cage directly
outside of my cell for one hour per day of "recreation".

Even time had no meaning in the SHU. The lights were kept on for 24
hours. I often found myself wondering if an event I was recollecting had
happened that morning or days before. I talked to myself. I began to get
scared that the guards would come in and kill me and leave me hanging in
the cell. Who would know if something happened to me? Just as I was
invisible, so was the space I inhabited.

The very essence of life, I came to learn during those seemingly endless
days, is human contact, and the affirmation of existence that comes with
it. Losing that contact, you lose your sense of identity. You become
nothing.

Everyone knows that prison is supposed to take away your freedom. But
solitary doesn't just confine your body; it kills your soul.

Yet neither a judge nor a jury of my peers handed down this sentence to
me. Each of the tormented 23 hours per day that I spent in a
bathroom-sized room, without any contact with the outside world, was
determined by prison staff.

Anyone lacking familiarity with our state prison system would probably
guess I must have been a pretty scary, out-of-control prisoner. But I
never committed one act of violence during my entire sentence. Instead,
a series of "tickets", or disciplinary write-ups for prison rule
violations, were punished with a total of more than five years in "the box".

In New York, guards give out tickets like penny candy. During my nine
years in prison, I received an endless stream of tickets, each one more
absurd than the last. When I tried to use artwork to stay sane, I was
ticketed for having too many pencils. Another time, I had too many
postage stamps.

One day, I ate an entire apple – including the core – because I was
starving for lack of nutrition. I received a ticket for eating the core,
since apple seeds contain arsenic, as spelled out in the prison
handbook. The next time I received an apple, fearful of another ticket,
I simply left it on the tray. I received a ticket for "refusing to eat".

For the five years I spent in the box, I received insulin shots for my
diabetes by extending my arm through the food slot in the cell's door.
("Therapy" for prisoners with mental illness is often conducted this
way, as well.) One day, the person who gave me the shot yanked roughly
on my arm through the small opening and I instinctively pulled back.
This earned me another ticket for "refusing medical attention", adding
additional time to my solitary sentence.

My case is far from unusual. A 2012 study by the New York Civil
Liberties Union <http://www.boxedinny.org/> found that five out of six
of the 13,000 SHU sentences handed out each year are for nonviolent
misbehavior, rather than violent acts. This brutal approach to
discipline means that New York isolates its prisoners at rates well
above the national average.

On any given day, some 4,300 men, women, and children are in isolated
confinement in the state, many for months or years. Those with more
serious prison offenses have been held in solitary for 20 years or more.

Using this form of punishment is particularly absurd for minor rule
infractions. But in truth, no one should be subjected to the kind of
extreme isolation that is practiced in New York's prisons today. I have
no doubt that what is going on in prisons all over our state is torture
<http://www.theguardian.com/law/torture>. Many national and
international human rights <http://www.theguardian.com/law/human-rights>
groups – including UN special rapporteur on torture Juan E Méndez
<https://spdb.ohchr.org/hrdb/24th/public_-_AL_USA_18.03.13_%283.2013%29.pdf>
– concur. Yet it continues, unseen and largely ignored by the public.

The scars that isolated confinement leaves behind may be invisible, too,
but they are no less painful or permanent than physical scars. Even now
that I am out of prison, I suffer major psychological consequences from
those years in isolation.

I know that I have irreparable memory damage. I can hardly sleep. I have
a short temper. I do not like people to touch me. I cannot listen to
music or watch television or sports. I am only beginning to recover my
ability to talk on the phone. I no longer feel connected to people.

Even though I am a free man now, I often feel as though I remain
invisible, going through the motions of life. Feeling tormented by a
punishment that has ended is a strange and unnerving anguish. But there
are thousands like me, and until New Yorkers choose to bear witness to
the soul-destroying torture taking place in their own backyards, our
suffering, too, will remain invisible.

*Jean Casella and James Ridgeway <http://solitarywatch.com/?author=10>*