[Pnews] Lawyers for Guantanamo Prisoners Ask Obama to Unclassify CIA Torture Interrogations

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Oct 25 16:08:36 EDT 2013

          9/11 Lawyers Ask Obama to Expose Interrogations

By ADAM KLASFELD
*http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/10/25/62372.htm*
*(Note the Source)*

      GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba (CN) - Lawyers for the suspected
plotters of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks asked President Barack Obama on
Friday to declassify details about their clients' interrogation.
      Earlier this week, lawyers for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the
self-professed "mastermind" of the attacks, and his four alleged
accomplices challenged
<http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/10/22/62257.htm>an order that
prevents them from probing their clients' treatment in secret CIA
prisons. They said the rule violates the Convention Against Torture, a
treaty the United States ratified in 1994.
      Without access to this information, the military judge should
penalize the government by dismissing the charges, or taking the death
penalty off the table, they added.
      The military judge, Col. James Pohl, responded to the demand
Tuesday by saying, "If the president of the United States wanted to
declassify this information, he certainly can, and we wouldn't be having
this conversation."
      On Friday, Navy Cmdr. Walter Ruiz, the lead military lawyer for
Mustafa al-Hawsawi, did just that in a two-page letter to his
commander-in-chief, co-signed by military and civilian defense co-counsel.
      It begins by reminding Obama of his June 21, 2011, promise that he
"reaffirmed our commitment to the convention's tenets and our domestic
laws."
      Ruiz wrote that the "true meaning and effect" of that statement
would mean shining a light on "all aspects of the RDI program with
respect to our clients against whom the United States seeks to impose
the death penalty," abbreviating the "rendition, detention, and
interrogation" program.
      "True transparency and meaningful justice can only be achieved by
a faithful application of deeds to aspirational statements," the letter
states. "Here, we have such an opportunity."
      Obama should not let "fear of public embarrassment and the desire
to conceal war crimes" keep the information under wraps, Ruiz wrote.
      A White House spokesperson did not immediately respond to a
request for comment