[Pnews] Call to say, "Drop the charges against Rasmea Odeh!"

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Oct 23 20:41:22 EDT 2013

    * Call-in Day to Drop the Charges against Rasmea Odeh *
      Call U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan*

      Barbara McQuade
      313-226-9501 or 313-226-9100

        Friday, October 25th

        8 a.m. to 4 pm CDT

*Demand of U.S. Atty McQuade:
Drop the Charges against Rasmea Yousef Odeh!*

The Committee to Stop FBI Repression is circulating this

Statement from the Arab American Action Network **
October 23, 2013
The Arab American Action Network (AAAN) condemns the
politically-motivated arrest
<http://stopfbi.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=8b7315d854bc40ca9fa6dd227&id=78f1a3c8db&e=b7378561ef>and
indictment of Rasmea Yousef Odeh, our beloved Associate Director. The
sixty-five year old was arrested at her home yesterday by agents from
the Department of Homeland Security, alleging an immigration violation
on a 20-year-old application. Rasmea, who has made it her life's work to
serve and help empower Palestinian and Arab families, is the victim of
another witch-hunt by our federal law enforcement agencies, which
continue to violate the civil rights of Arabs and Muslims with impunity,
particularly those who are critical of U.S. support for Israel's crimes
against the Palestinian people.

Rasmea is a leading member of Chicago's Arab and Muslim communities, and
her decade of service here has changed the lives of thousands of people,
particularly disenfranchised Arab women and their families. She has been
with the AAAN since 2004, and as Associate Director, is responsible for
the management of day-to-day operations and the coordination of our Arab
Women's Committee, which has a membership of close to 600 and leads our
work in the areas of defending civil liberties and immigrant rights. She
is a mentor to hundreds of immigrant women, as well as many members of
our staff and board, and is a well-known and respected organizer
throughout Chicagoland, the U.S., and the world.

Earlier this year, Rasmea received the "Outstanding Community Leader
Award
<http://stopfbi.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b7315d854bc40ca9fa6dd227&id=c9b8c655b7&e=b7378561ef>"
from the Chicago Cultural Alliance, which described her as a woman who
has "dedicated over 40 years of her life to the empowerment of Arab
women, first in her homes of Palestine, Jordan, and Lebanon, where she
was an activist and practicing attorney, and then the past 10 years in
Chicago."

Rasmea is a community icon who recently completed a Master's degree in
Criminal Justice from Governors State University. She overcame vicious
torture by Israeli authorities while imprisoned in Palestine in the 70s,
and is a proud reminder of the millions of Palestinians who have not
given up organizing for their rights of liberation, equality, and return.

It is appalling that our government is now attempting to imprison her
once again. We condemn this attack on our friend and colleague Rasmea,
as well as the broader pattern of persecuting Arabs and Muslims who are
outstanding and outspoken leaders in their communities in the U.S.

We ask all of our supporters to call Barbara McQuade, U.S. Attorney for
the Eastern District of Michigan in Detroit, at 313.226.9501 or
313.226.9100, on Friday, October 25th, from 8 AM to 4 PM CST, to demand
that she Drop the Charges Now!

We will also be mobilizing to support Rasmea at her next hearing in
Detroit on November 1st. Details coming soon.

And for more information, email the Coalition to Protect People's Rights
at cppr at aaan.org

Send photos of support for Rasmea!

        Support Rasmea!
        Send us your pictures

Right now we want to get Rasmea's story out there! We are calling on
everyone to send us their picture holding up the following message:

        'I am ________ and I support Rasmea!'

You can fill in the blank with any self-identifier: your name, your
occupation, or any other description. Some examples may be:

"I am a stay-at-home dad and I support Rasmea!"

"I am a youth organizer and I support Rasmea!"

"I am a supporter of Palestinian human rights and I support Rasmea!"

Hold the sign up and snap a selfie, then send it to cppr at aaan.org.
Put it up as your Facebook/Twitter profile pic, Google Account image, or
anything else!
Just remember we may use your image in future publications and
informational pamphlets that get published online or distributed as hard
copies.