[Pnews] Hugo Pinell Parole Board Hearing to be continued

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Oct 23 15:10:59 EDT 2013

Greetings All:

Keith Wattley and Hugo "Yogi Bear" Pinell appeared before the Parole
Board at Pelican Bay yesterday, October 22.

Due to confusion over Yogi's cases, the Board members and representative
from the Marin D.A.'s office decided on a continuance to further study
Hugo's case history until further notice.  Whew!!  We can exhale; at
least he didn't get a 15-year-hit, our worst nightmare.

Since this has never happened before (He's usually flat-out denied.) we
are hopeful.  We can only speculate that the recent hunger strikes
calling attention internationally to the issue of solitary confinement
may have had an effect?

In any case, *30 years clean time* should most certainly be enough to
qualify for release or at least relief from isolation.  And don't
forget:  He's done 49 years in jails/prisons and 43 in solitary, 23 in
PB SHU!

And he's now 69 years old.  He turned himself in when he was 19,
remorseful of a drunken assault that would have given him a few years at
best.  But he became politicized after meeting George Jackson and W.L.
Nolen, joining the Black Movement behind the walls that sought to
transform the criminal mentality into a revolutionary consciousness so
that prisoners returning to their communities would become assets and
role models, not predators.

BTW, Keith was happy to finally shake Hugo's hand for the first time.
  I'm sure Yogi was pleased as well. Imagine the only touch you ever get
is from guards handcuffing you.

Send our brother some love and encouragement:

Hugo L.A. Pinell
A88401  D3-221
P.O. Box 7500
Crescent City, Ca. 95531-7500

Power to the people!  Abolish the prison system!

Kiilu Nyasha