[Pnews] Herman Wallace: We Speak Your Name

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Oct 14 10:18:17 EDT 2013

Angola 3 Newsletter, October 13, 2013:

We Speak Your Name

Yesterday, Herman Wallace was laid to rest after a memorial service
befitting his liberation roots.  New Orleans supporters, friends and
family came together to create a magnificent send off for Herman, just
the way he wanted it.

As a proud black man who struggled for justice for himself, his
comrades, his people and all people, Herman wanted the remembrance to be
in a community space and to provide a forum for many of his supporters
to speak and most importantly to bring people together.  As you'll see
from the photos below, it was a memorable occasion. You can also read
the statement that Albert Woodfox wrote for Herman, featured below.

Join Amnesty for the second line parade in honor of Herman
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001Oek6-4wlul_bJ-y4OZY6E7_iv5q2TO2sCAsv0WkMbp1Hb8lyGwFPRUPaqQahq4cqeUhjb7ZyFpFQ2XTIT4CSxi3a8cAEivusWrKu-4rY88uCASdy8XFth_WpqzE8gfSxnmx0VENtOas4stRWqSceFYKuca23YwBPpC3UooAle8vUXFi13b4bxe2-pv-18DzQ1DT3rY_IRl8=>
in New Orleans on Saturday, October 19, at 2:00 pm, starting at St.
Augustine Catholic Church, 1210 Governor Nicholls Street, and concluding
at the Louisiana Supreme Court, 400 Royal Street.

Rest in peace and in power Herman Wallace - the struggle continues.

*HONORING HERMAN:* /Tribute made to by US Congressmen Conyers, Richmond,
and Scott/
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001Oek6-4wlul9ARXjk0CApfyv7cOKJeggbAJIcv_WNxu6CEf0Mx3dxwrSsMkGfCxQ7s3WOYasvbdFdituoJ1CBJIGBAJdIjR7iWLU-S_E0r7rAFIEsR2RoAMJ9nJeMn08AJ4QvwHTZHIyZ2XWZNapX7fv1kDVvY49Bzbc8uWwVay8=>
*II* /Mural and Banner in North Carolina/
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001Oek6-4wlul_YwkjPZ1BTklDOW502mQ12nsEwgW7QvEe7HXvOFaHQBriV_t8S7NUT-JIeos0hJHNFLXtJpnnf1-8zDEWqHXy5t_Ut-Qn9BZ7iuAUWEtsJFO1R4OHXpHinFdizgcg5hpSka3KiZ0NjPrDmmwAD4Dr_Gs6LZz1Vwv7Hm0NWQeW2tYDchz0mZIsCMZuPaFtsehkBG27c_NSaFw==>
II /Mumia Abu-Jamal's Message for Herman's Memorial/
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001Oek6-4wlul_0Bz-_AlFZXjN4r0LsSvCvHDvYmWRmHDrTyWDlRwAWbEa6yoCd_7Yk8ooT5PRmKZQblks-mYsxEHW9K29l_T7nVAD0LOkDd7CKUyOcyV3ymH646aa2iBLoD0GsDj42qIqWbe2G0HwOM5IShJiZduhpGuV0mn-7Q_fCIJ9hRJhgVq8mpR9iFPNUMXiA3O7P96JfcZT370jHYLAeRuTQKS3YmF_vfqrgJSKFqWXbSgQgdA==>

*
Herman Wallace... We Speak Your Name
& Those of the Ancestors
*
*
Essay by Mariame Kaba
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001Oek6-4wlul8NshwUwL4huq7J6iraB_YlOhVqjPhLTn-1bRNv5P41WakontDqEL-CPaIHG-ND2KjnjqciBbW6MZmWQetqbzAhUmPRJo98I6Ae8My5LGNyTxmZaZsCvWP99KszWxK-aZuQqAyCCY63FrX3_6Mz9WTnuwkE1Mx8LHtmWXESLNvyNZt3PkXbdIrao_P-WuGTdj6FgILrGhAODqsgxAGcJZ_bLTYsbOVUeSE=>

Photos by Ann Harkness
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001Oek6-4wlul-6onvFH7SK00fji2aLDwM0x7lw6aQ-XFoOzyQ89iN005yTwiZ5274ad-_ivIiq4riV8RwDkzltIE74KOTyli7fvSrU4ZdY8TzAHTr7B5zMws-Xj1H9-xFlkAfNgwcBzK-SDJ1nRn2pDlZC8f8GBwWZa6XlwkZX2Kklv6VXpypL3Q==>

*

Herman Wallace would have turned 72 years old today. Instead on October
4th, he died
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001Oek6-4wlul-QN8h1dKcSqbiSac9VUeNC7GexWCyRGK79D2QjHQixo9mw_thBhDPTBELtx6miIVmrgu1yOflk7Efh4oJ3yAtJ4NypuxzWDZ26AFMZ3pkpT7rz_SwndkTCQhP2Tf_RVHdlNRYXDjPjZWBlv47dxbzhPPNZg8H2okZzcj_vpiPnt3y1gB3vSh7lPIpP3I1oKBIwcU_Z7axYEikvKj05kjmp7mU465PjUJg=>
in his sleep, his body ravaged by liver cancer. Wallace had just been
released from a Louisiana prison three days earlier after having spent
over 40 years in solitary confinement in a 6 by 9 cell.

Among his final words, he is reported
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001Oek6-4wlul_MkQfwKm9P_dqp1yY4H6STA8Xlq25czW3OrYhF4pPQGDTG1fsonFRdINhcOBH2W3V14sHFVFLbikweAaLImj3eHkwb5kV13VTA7t7FTwCbjCAwJgneIlu4jau4MSqrKOCbUrCQQbqcgv1UCKLRKqI7>
to have said: "I am free. I am free." It's a minor miracle that he was
able to die surrounded by friends instead of in a prison hospital. A
judge overturned his 1974 conviction for the murder of a guard at Angola
prison and ordered
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001Oek6-4wlul9PHaevZ-4T7CRpFGVU-Md_XnPdZWvjxiasqOeKAUazOllneryMtZE2mt1kkIOTtv2W3yrP1RA4IU_Ev7IxEmyeoAUTcE7hwTKPIRpjlV8xcVoO3-76_BJyKKPAva8xX8WpRcL6hKpoY5S_pzNY-hFBcgq0f8q_tLlb9RVUm_YzPDM-qI-onuLsRzVqClW5MFLxEAsbyz0_jjsMYxBs7Mh9>
his immediate release. Only a couple of days later, while he lay dying
in his hospital bed, the state of Louisiana filed charges to re-indict
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001Oek6-4wlul9iVI9ypSwal-QV636aDUmyoX3GQ7MpNkfom-uS1AgK7dqpVCJCRBxK4dIPk6raLZFxQ5BJj58ZEcaBEMKPqDVUSYENxNpZFe-tlVDPmNYaeLml3EYPCL52EsP0YRh7YNJUxCqM3rcEYOYk4ixRm2zfSusJBKzLKbGIsqlIzNAnRCyNZXpmPT2Q>
him. There was actually a question as to whether he might be
re-arrested. Louisiana was determined that Wallace should die in prison
by any means necessary.

Yesterday, Wallace was buried and I've been thinking again about the
fact that some of his final words before dying were about being "free."
Is death the only way for black people to be "free?" As Wallace's family
continues to raise money
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001Oek6-4wlul_mqf76le6madYinjweSA2z1fb_emuzPP9PTxDTCHvQ-gWg1JIpgZti_JSZbw22hqD8EvbfEhc-zxcEqfDEiRtJ6L3V-RGkSdokq9Oi_y-WUryuNAK_2ZJa>
to cover the expenses incurred by his funeral, one has to wonder if even
death can liberate blackness from captivity.

This brings me to the story of Prince Mortimer
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001Oek6-4wlul_ise1wuyRrE_dHxTOx1oNl1GFJx3x6Wf9qDjdag8Y76MeKKCFME7hqBUCC9FBabUcw9hgjOmNxeNRHXPskT2epMz717w2a0l1bk-y9HVK0j3HNAUnNfjcZUmUZtVLVJFY8txnivGEqncZdaDvNoCAs>
who I have been thinking a lot about since hearing of Herman Wallace's
death. Mortimer died in 1834 in Wethersfield State Prison. He was 111
years old. Prince Mortimer arrived in America when he was 6 years old
from Guinea in West Africa. He was enslaved in Middleton Connecticut and
imprisoned at 87 years old for attempting to poison one of his masters,
a man by the name of George Starr.

If not for a brief mention of him in an 1844 book by Richard Phelps
titled Newgate of Connecticut : its origin and early history,
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001Oek6-4wlul_BtM_Cf31O_yPFtwWS55l6QaadvLkpnqdp1apnYYCpB-ob-1SHQEHO7uT3XqsjSzu4E4y352bu6fd-2rl9ztKz-pKaHbXYSIarFlL_BmY3RkWdFOIGxMBYOs-D1cA0rjYs2no6LSyRSJPqZsgmnT7_>
Prince Mortimer's story would have been lost to us. Instead, a lawyer
turned writer named Denis R. Caron wrote a book about his life titled /A
Century in Captivity: The Life and Trials of Prince Mortimer, a
Connecticut Slave/. Frankly the book does a much better job at
describing early American prison history than it does at painting a
comprehensive picture of Mortimer's life and of slavery. This is mostly
because primary source material about Mortimer is almost non-existent.
Regardless, it was through this book that I first learned of him.

When he was 103 years old, Mortimer was transferred from Newgate prison
which was being permanently shuttered to Wethersfield State Prison.
There, he spent his final days in solitary confinement in a 3 1/2 by 7
cell without water or heat. He was still expected to work even at his
advanced age. When Prince Mortimer died in 1834, he was buried in the
prisoners' cemetery in an unmarked grave.

And so I've been thinking about Herman Wallace in his tiny cell for over
40 years and of Prince Mortimer who spent 105 years in captivity. I've
been thinking about the connections between their lives 140 years apart.
Mortimer died incarcerated in 1834 and Wallace was sentenced to life in
prison in 1974. In the brief account about Mortimer in Phelps' 1844